UE1 - UT Saving Packages... please help this noob!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WillardCorpse

Noob in Training
Nov 22, 2012
Canada
I'm very new when it comes to working with the Editor outside of basic map-making, and I really want to get into scripting custom weapons. Nothing too crazy, just minor modifications mostly. The first problem I've run into is that I can't seem to save my packages after I create and edit them!

I select the packages I want to save, click the save button in the actor browser... and it's gone when I exit the program, open it back up and look for it. I've tried saving all the packages at once, even ones I haven't changed, still no luck. If it makes any difference, my copy of UT comes from a CD called Unreal Anthology. If there is a tutorial that goes over exactly how to save packages, I'd greatly appreciate a link if anyone knows of one offhand.

Thanks in advance for your patience, I really want to make this thing work!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You don't use UnrealEd to write code. You either use an IDE like WOTgreal or any other text editor (preferably with programming features) and UMake to compile. Additionally you will want to use UnCodeX for code browsing. (Reading code is the most vital part of learning UnrealScript.)

WillardCorpse

Noob in Training
Nov 22, 2012
Canada
Oh wow, I really was headed off in the wrong direction. Thanks for the links and tips!

I was under the impression that since it had options like 'edit script' or the ability to create new scripts through the actor browser, it could all be done with UED. What are those options typically used for?

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The Script Editor is only used for smaller things that can be done with the limited scripting tools the UnrealEd offers. For example, it isd not possible to rename a class or even change its parent class. To remove a class you no longer need, you have to make sure it is no longer referenced in the map, save the map and restart the UnrealEd. Also, the default variable values must be edited through the standard property window, while compiling with UCC Make (which UMake and IDEs call for compiling) takes the defaultproperties block from the source file to set default values. And to be honest, the script editor is a terrible input method that is only marginally better than Notepad.

Last edited: