PDA

View Full Version : Diablo III

Pages : [1] 2

Vaskadar
8th May 2012, 05:01 PM
Since the other threads are about the Beta, etc. (Last I checked there were two) I thought it completely necessary to make this one, to have three Diablo III-related threads, this one being about the full game of course.

I have the game pre-loaded for midnight's launch. What about the rest of you? I have a sinking suspicion I'll start off as either a Witch Doctor or a Demon Hunter.

Sir_Brizz
8th May 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm waiting to buy until it's not $60. I disagree with that price point.

Capt.Toilet
8th May 2012, 05:58 PM
Game will be $60 dollars for probably quite some time, fine by me anyway as I am heading the Torchlight 2 route. D3 was fun, but more of my friends may pick up T2 instead.

Firefly
8th May 2012, 06:08 PM
i'm waiting for my collector's ed to arrive:D

d3tox
8th May 2012, 06:20 PM
Since the other threads are about the Beta, etc. (Last I checked there were two) I thought it completely necessary to make this one, to have three Diablo III-related threads, this one being about the full game of course.

I have the game pre-loaded for midnight's launch. What about the rest of you? I have a sinking suspicion I'll start off as either a Witch Doctor or a Demon Hunter.

I will be preloading most likely and probably will be starting a witch doctor myself.

SlayerDragon
8th May 2012, 06:59 PM
Game will be $60 dollars for probably quite some time, fine by me anyway as I am heading the Torchlight 2 route. D3 was fun, but more of my friends may pick up T2 instead.

Did you know that you can buy more than one video game? ;)

I guess I should get around to pre-loading it. Or not. It's not like 90% of us will be able to log in to play the game for the first few days.

Capt.Toilet
8th May 2012, 08:43 PM
Did you know that you can buy more than one video game? ;)

I guess I should get around to pre-loading it. Or not. It's not like 90% of us will be able to log in to play the game for the first few days.

Unemployed broseph. I was picky before but now I am just a tad bit extra picky.

SlayerDragon
8th May 2012, 09:26 PM
Unemployed broseph. I was picky before but now I am just a tad bit extra picky.

Get a job hippy! :mad:

SleepyHe4d
8th May 2012, 10:07 PM
As much as I loved Diablo and D2... I DUNNO. :(

Stupid Blizzard turned to ****. /cry

Vaskadar
8th May 2012, 10:29 PM
As much as I loved Diablo and D2... I DUNNO. :(

Stupid Blizzard turned to ****. /cry

Quit yer blubbering.

SlayerDragon
8th May 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm already locked in due to one drunken night almost a year ago.

Slainchild
8th May 2012, 11:12 PM
Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click ClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClick Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

hal
9th May 2012, 12:04 AM

I'm doing Torchlight 2 as well. It should hold me over until it comes down a bit.

Honestly, a lack of offline mode really devalues it for me. I travel for business a lot and can't always rely on uninterrupted connectivity. The online stuff is really cool, but it limits the product for me in some ways.

shadow_dragon
9th May 2012, 12:44 AM
Thankfully I pre-ordered on amazon about 3 years ago so am getting the game for about a third of it's current price. ;)

Kantham
10th May 2012, 11:30 PM
Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click ClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick ClickClick Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

Mapple story!

Oh wait.. No. They use the CTRL key.

SleepyHe4d
10th May 2012, 11:41 PM
>from Canada
>can't spell maple

SlayerDragon
11th May 2012, 09:22 AM
>from Canada
>can't spell maple

Sjosz
11th May 2012, 12:32 PM
Yep, counting down the days until this releases. Got all the installation files sitting pretty on the harddrive until then. Still kinda wishing I'd get one of those Torchlight 2 beta keys that are making the rounds.

Kantham
13th May 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm curious. They mention having a Cash/Gold auction house in the game. How does that work? Let's say you put a rare item for 100k gold and 1k gold = $.50, meaning 100k gold = $50 (just an example) and someone buys that with actual cash, I'm guessing part of that $50 goes to Blizzard (if not all of it) and the rest goes into the auctioneer's account?

If the auctioneers gets real life cash for selling expensive items in this game I'm going with the guess that some people will live from playing this game. D:

SleepyHe4d
13th May 2012, 02:32 PM
Well people wouldn't be able to compete with the bots or duplicate item makers if it's anything like Diablo 2. It would be nice if they were able to keep that **** out. Imo they should have just not even pulled this **** and kept on fighting the cheaters way harder than they ever had. But alas, greed, lazyness and what-not. Another thing that could help the problem is just not having items have so much of a role in your overall power like it did in previous games. It should be more like a slight advantage thing, not a game decider.

Slainchild
13th May 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm curious. They mention having a Cash/Gold auction house in the game. How does that work? Let's say you put a rare item for 100k gold and 1k gold = $.50, meaning 100k gold = $50 (just an example) and someone buys that with actual cash, I'm guessing part of that $50 goes to Blizzard (if not all of it) and the rest goes into the auctioneer's account?

If the auctioneers gets real life cash for selling expensive items in this game I'm going with the guess that some people will live from playing this game. D:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/auction-house/how-to

Capt.Toilet
13th May 2012, 08:29 PM

Basically what it comes down to is Blizzard gets a cut, and if you want to move that money from your auctioneer account to a paypal account you have to pay a fee as well. Kinda stops people like me from screwing over idiots out of their money who must absolutely have that purple staff to function.

SlayerDragon
14th May 2012, 12:10 AM
Basically what it comes down to is Blizzard gets a cut, and if you want to move that money from your auctioneer account to a paypal account you have to pay a fee as well. Kinda stops people like me from screwing over idiots out of their money who must absolutely have that purple staff to function.

How does it stop that? They just get a percentage of the transaction. You can still take money from idiots.

Kantham
14th May 2012, 12:18 AM
So It's pretty much like I thought then. Hence the "My life stops on 15/5/2012." comments I've been constantly reading here and there.

Grinders/Farmers = Sellers

$$$ ▲▲▲▲ ▼▼▼▼

Blizzard = lol$

$$$ ▲▲▲▲ ▼▼▼▼

Workers/Family dads = Buyers

At least they might add free updates for this game right? I mean, if that's their new method for monthly subscription fee (updates/patches/servers) then I suppose it's fine since you can avoid it (having already paid $60 for the game).

SleepyHe4d
14th May 2012, 07:10 AM
So It's pretty much like I thought then. Hence the "My life stops on 15/5/2012." comments I've been constantly reading here and there.

Nah, that just has to do with the addiction of the game. Like I said, people, especially anyone in a first world country, wouldn't be able to compete with the bots or dupers or asian farmers at all.

It's pretty sad what Toilets says, because he calls them idiots and yet they would only have to work 1 hour at a real job and they would be able to buy the item and STILL come out with more money than him playing the game for 90+ hours. :lol:

Edit:
Hardcore Characters
Hardcore characters access an exclusive “Hardcore-only” gold
auction house. They do not have access to the normal gold
auction house or any real-money auction houses.

Looks like I found what mode I'll be playing.

FlashIV
14th May 2012, 06:14 PM
FlashIV#1932

I'll be the witch doctor putting hell's minions back in their place.

Capt.Toilet
14th May 2012, 08:08 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926494400?page=1

Looks like the Asians are having a time with the game. Diablo is so evil it won't even let you play the game. mwhwhahhahah.

Eh whatever in a day or so it should be settled.

Vaskadar
14th May 2012, 10:07 PM
Freaking Pacific Standard Times, making people stay up.

FlashIV
14th May 2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2012/05/dropbox-d3servers2.gif

Kantham
15th May 2012, 12:29 AM
Excellent. :D

Vaskadar
15th May 2012, 01:55 AM
6 minutes till derplo tres is playable.

Edit: Or not... hooray servers and disconfirmed expectations

Hunter
15th May 2012, 02:59 AM
i'm waiting for my collector's ed to arrive:D

Same here. Hoping HDNL show up soonish. Got my afternoon booked off to play it (the joy of being your own boss).

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 08:46 AM
My Battletag: Scinbed#1889

Got a level 12 Barbarian, game is awesome.

Sjosz
15th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Heh, Slainchild briefly jumped into my game and proceeded to destroy everything because he's overleveled for the first dungeon. Then rolled a bit with him and Hazel on new characters, was fun :)

My first character's a wizard.

FlashIV
15th May 2012, 12:07 PM
I agree, awesome. Got a monk and WD to lv.10 but I have to work tonight so for the next few hours it's nap time.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 12:23 PM
Heh, Slainchild briefly jumped into my game and proceeded to destroy everything because he's overleveled for the first dungeon. Then rolled a bit with him and Hazel on new characters, was fun :)

My first character's a wizard.

Yeah, I like that you can just jump into anyone's game and have a fun time, with players getting their own loot drops and shiz.

SleepyHe4d
15th May 2012, 12:49 PM
Did they change anything from the beta? How does the skill system look? Is there a good selection of skills or any choices that make you non-cookie cutter? Screens plz? :)

Oh yeah, how long does the game look? Is the skel king the end of act 1 cause that is short as hell.

Vaskadar
15th May 2012, 01:14 PM
Vaskadar#1367

Sjosz
15th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Well that was fun. I guess I'll wait for a couple hours until the game is up and running again? You'd think that a studio known for having an online-only game with a 10+ million userbase would know how to deal with a massive amount of players for an online-only game, but here we are I guess.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 01:22 PM
Did they change anything from the beta? How does the skill system look? Is there a good selection of skills or any choices that make you non-cookie cutter? Screens plz? :)

Oh yeah, how long does the game look? Is the skel king the end of act 1 cause that is short as hell.

I've played about 5 hours and haven't beaten Act1 yet, Skeleton King quest took about 1.5-2hrs to beat. I am taking my time though.

The skill system is the same as Beta. The way it works makes it about as non-cookie-cutter as you can get imho. Instead of following a single path through a skill tree to "max out" lightning bolt or two-handed damage (for example), you get a bunch of equally awesome skills that you can switch to whenever you like. Then you get even more choices through modifying them with the runes you unlock. Plus passive skill choices that affect more general things.

I've been swapping back and forth through a couple of skillsets with my Barb just because different encounters call upon different methods of dealing with them, and its just fun trying new awesome stuff. Choosing the right skills for the right encounter will likely be crucial to beating the game on the higher tier of difficulties. Normal hasn't been hard so far, though it is ramping up a bit now.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 01:33 PM
Well that was fun. I guess I'll wait for a couple hours until the game is up and running again? You'd think that a studio known for having an online-only game with a 10+ million userbase would know how to deal with a massive amount of players for an online-only game, but here we are I guess.

Indeed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765603

Kantham
15th May 2012, 01:43 PM
They don't like it. (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii) Described as a casual experience for the most part.

I wonder if most of those haters are food stockpilers uploading pictures of their computer next to the toilet seat, or is it the fanbois?

SlayerDragon
15th May 2012, 01:56 PM

Really? Every Blizzard launch is a **** show. Even the later WoW expansions ended up with servers crashing and huge queues and ****ty performance. Hell, it's known to happen with major patch releases too. The trick is just to wait for a bunch of people to stop playing and you can get in.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 03:10 PM
They don't like it. (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii) Described as a casual experience for the most part.

I wonder if most of those haters are food stockpilers uploading pictures of their computer next to the toilet seat, or is it the fanbois?

Lots of knee-jerk reactions from haters, yup!

Mozi
15th May 2012, 03:23 PM
My bet, more kiddies going to go to FTC... game is not to MY EXPECTATIONS... I am special and count more than every single customer... please fix game for me and me alone... ****ing assholes..

Seriously Metacritic needs to disable user comments at least for a week or so after launch. Day 1 **** reviews from users are not helpful, just allowing trolls to be trolls and whining little ***** who can't deal with the fact that game is game, and games are not easy to make. Same assclowns post **** day 1 for most games, seriously if you are just on metacritic to be 0 posting troll on Day 1 launches your right to play games should be revoked.

Okay so the online on feature sucks.. Blizzard should have fixed that or removed it but just saying the entire value of the game sucks is uncalled for imo.

SlayerDragon
15th May 2012, 03:45 PM
Oh man a game that has some controversy around it is released and people write dumb **** on user review sites? Quelle surprise!

SlayerDragon
15th May 2012, 03:45 PM
IF YOU ARE CASUAL THEN DON'T READ. BUT IF YOU ARE A D2 RIDE OR DIE CRIP, READ THIS

This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 03:57 PM
Okay so the online on feature sucks.. Blizzard should have fixed that or removed it...

Just to clarify. This is an online-only game because it was built that way from the ground up.

When you kill a monster who lives on the server, that monster dies on the server, the loot it decides to drop lives on the server, you pick the loot up.. it goes into your character's inventory, which is stored on the server.

So pretty much everything that happens in the game is running and recorded on the Blizzard servers. There is no way to "remove" or "fix" the online requirement. The game is designed and built around it. It gives them extremely tight control of the content that is in the game and how players can interact with it.

Mozi
15th May 2012, 04:09 PM
Just to clarify. This is an online-only game because it was built that way from the ground up.

When you kill a monster who lives on the server, that monster dies on the server, the loot it decides to drop lives on the server, you pick the loot up.. it goes into your character's inventory, which is stored on the server.

So pretty much everything that happens in the game is running and recorded on the Blizzard servers. There is no way to "remove" or "fix" the online requirement. The game is designed and built around it. It gives them extremely tight control of the content that is in the game and how players can interact with it.

I see. Well I am surprised with amount cash Activision/Blizzard has a company they could not have bought a huge server farm to deal with influx of anxious customers who wanted to play the game on launch night.

Oh well, I'll wait it out for a few days. Hopefully, on Saturday things will be better in terms of logging in and being able to play. I am sure the game is awesome just the infrastructure of it failed.

Firefly
15th May 2012, 04:12 PM
give it a few weeks and the kids and haters will leave and then the hardcore will settle down.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah, they are just extremely overloaded on launch day..

Jacks:Revenge
15th May 2012, 04:31 PM
IF YOU ARE CASUAL THEN DON'T READ. BUT IF YOU ARE A D2 RIDE OR DIE CRIP, READ THIS

This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER.

This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN!

so you can't even play offline w/o an internet connection?

Mozi
15th May 2012, 04:32 PM
so you can't even play offline w/o an internet connection?

Those who hacked it or torrented it are playing offline I assume.

Capt.Toilet
15th May 2012, 04:35 PM
Those who hacked it or torrented it are playing offline I assume.

But but Blizzard made it this way to prevent torrents and hacks /clueless dumbass

Yeah fat chance.

15th May 2012, 04:35 PM
I don't make decisions based on assumptions :p

Mozi
15th May 2012, 04:36 PM
But but Blizzard made it this way to prevent torrents and hacks /clueless dumbass

Yeah fat chance.

If there is a will there is a way...

WedgeBob
15th May 2012, 04:36 PM
All righty, got my copy right here, and ready to play a round or two!

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1835/picture10q.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/picture10q.jpg/)

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 04:41 PM
If there is a will there is a way...

Unless they have the server files, and host their own server or somehow found a way to emulate a server running offline... nope.

Like I said before, the whole game runs off their servers. You have to be connected.

Firefly
15th May 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm still waiting for my coll ed to come.

SlayerDragon
15th May 2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah to my knowledge there is currently no way to play it offline, due to exactly what Slainchild said. The game is basically WoW Lite in terms of architecture, and in some ways the graphics and art and gameplay as well. They locked it down to server-side because of the real money auction to prevent item hacking.

Sir_Brizz
15th May 2012, 06:13 PM
They had to. Both D1 and D2 were hacked like crazy. The only way to solve the duping problems and all the other crap is to force it all online.

Kantham
15th May 2012, 06:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/efw0N.png

Credible or not, you know a few hundred of them at once can cause ****.

Arnox
15th May 2012, 06:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/efw0N.png

Credible or not, you know a few hundred of them at once can cause ****.
If this happens, I will be both really happy and super ticked.

Happy because maybe this will teach Blizzard to make their stupid game have an offline mode.

Ticked off because of the obvious.

WedgeBob
15th May 2012, 06:37 PM
I'm still waiting for my coll ed to come.

What? You don't get Release Date Delivery in your area from Amazon?

SleepyHe4d
15th May 2012, 07:30 PM

Lots of knee-jerk reactions from haters, yup!
My bet, more kiddies going to go to FTC... game is not to MY EXPECTATIONS... I am special and count more than every single customer... please fix game for me and me alone... ****ing assholes..

Seriously Metacritic needs to disable user comments at least for a week or so after launch. Day 1 **** reviews from users are not helpful, just allowing trolls to be trolls and whining little ***** who can't deal with the fact that game is game, and games are not easy to make. Same assclowns post **** day 1 for most games, seriously if you are just on metacritic to be 0 posting troll on Day 1 launches your right to play games should be revoked.

Okay so the online on feature sucks.. Blizzard should have fixed that or removed it but just saying the entire value of the game sucks is uncalled for imo.
Oh man a game that has some controversy around it is released and people write dumb **** on user review sites? Quelle surprise!

Woah, woah, woah, chill people. You're calling them haters and stupid and getting all mad at them and yet look at yourselves. You're the ones who are getting all mad and being haters because of peoples opinions. What's wrong with a devoted Diablo fan being disappointed in the game because they alienated their fanbase and casualized the series, and then him expressing his anger healthily online?

I know I am definitely disappointed and angry if it's like how Slain explained. Of course I kind of expected it, because this is Activizzard and I played the beta. Oh well, **** happens.

Still, I'm sure you guys would be angry to if something you were a fan of suddenly alienated you and the rest of their fans. Look at UT3. Everyone here pretty much agrees it sucked and wasn't a good UT game, yet no one calls the people here haters, dumb, ect. :p

Unless they have the server files, and host their own server or somehow found a way to emulate a server running offline... nope.

Like I said before, the whole game runs off their servers. You have to be connected.
Yeah to my knowledge there is currently no way to play it offline, due to exactly what Slainchild said. The game is basically WoW Lite in terms of architecture, and in some ways the graphics and art and gameplay as well. They locked it down to server-side because of the real money auction to prevent item hacking.

Sigh, wrong. They were able to take SC2 single player offline and they will be able to with Diablo 3 too. I give them about a week. Actually a couple days even. You people do realize there are illegitimate MMO servers for plenty of mmo games? There are illegitimate Diablo 2 online servers too. This will be much easier than that.

They had to. Both D1 and D2 were hacked like crazy. The only way to solve the duping problems and all the other crap is to force it all online.

No they didn't. They could have had it exactly the same as Diablo 1 and 2. All character and hosted games were always online in Diablo 1 and 2 battle.net mode. Dupes were really easy in Diablo 1 cause of bad coding and Diablo 2 it was possible through complex lag manipulation. They can just as easily find a way in Diablo 3 too. The always online thing is just some stupid form of DRM that will end up being broken in a couple days. Actually something I will give them is that people can play the game alone first and then not have to worry about making a new character when they want to go online, which was sort of a small problem is d1/2.

Bots, well those are even harder to control, so they will be coming back in full force too probably. Unless you have to type some captcha every dungeon. :lol:

Capt.Toilet
15th May 2012, 07:51 PM

Give it a couple days and I guarantee you that there will be torrents. And Sleepyhead you do realize I was imitating the clueless idiot who thought the game couldn't be pirated right?

SleepyHe4d
15th May 2012, 07:59 PM
Oh sorry, edited.

Edit: Hey, I heard buyers got "guest keys." Anyone know what they are? Maybe I can try out the game, cause I really don't know if I want to buy it. :lol: I love Diablo and all but, aauuugggg, blizzard has really gone downhill.

[GU]elmur_fud
15th May 2012, 09:52 PM
Oh sorry, edited.

Edit: Hey, I heard buyers got "guest keys." Anyone know what they are? Maybe I can try out the game, cause I really don't know if I want to buy it. :lol: I love Diablo and all but, aauuugggg, blizzard has really gone downhill.

It allows access to the first act basically. If nobody else does I can shoot you 1 via pm.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 10:16 PM
elmur_fud;2562116']It allows access to the first act basically. If nobody else does I can shoot you 1 via pm.

I think its just the beta content (up to skel king) but I'm not sure.

SleepyHe4d, sounds like you're not going to enjoy it no matter what, you are trying your best to dislike the game. Just leave it be... :lol:

[GU]elmur_fud
15th May 2012, 10:27 PM
I think its just the beta content (up to skel king) but I'm not sure.

SleepyHe4d, sounds like you're not going to enjoy it no matter what, you are trying your best to dislike the game. Just leave it be... :lol:

yes but my understanding is that he is the end boss of act I so basically why I said you get too play act I... course I haven't got that far yet.

Slainchild
15th May 2012, 10:35 PM
elmur_fud;2562120']yes but my understanding is that he is the end boss of act I so basically why I said you get too play act I... course I haven't got that far yet.

He is most definitely not the end boss of Act 1, he is only the first mini-boss of Act1. ;)

edit: Beating skeleton king is basically the end of the game's tutorial section. Not enough to get a feel of the main game imo.

TWD
15th May 2012, 11:50 PM
Sigh. Americas server still down: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/status

Sjosz
16th May 2012, 02:15 AM
Aaaand my characters have disappeared and don't want to come back on restarting the game. I guess I won't play for a little while then. :(

SleepyHe4d
16th May 2012, 08:54 AM

Trying my best to like the game actually, but you can't really force yourself to like something you don't I guess. :p

Hell, they even changed the genre of the game, you can't really call it an Action RPG anymore, it's more like an Action Adventure now. :lol:

Slainchild
16th May 2012, 09:28 AM
Hell, they even changed the genre of the game, you can't really call it an Action RPG anymore, it's more like an Action Adventure now. :lol:

Call it whatever you like, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Capt.Toilet
16th May 2012, 09:41 AM
Sigh. Americas server still down: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/status

Aaaand my characters have disappeared and don't want to come back on restarting the game. I guess I won't play for a little while then. :(

What is the moral of the story here kids?

Don't buy a game on launch day that
A. Requires authentication with a server and
B. Is a Blizzard game

I think a /nelson haha is in order

Slainchild
16th May 2012, 10:00 AM
Hoping everything is ironed out by the weekend

Lruce Bee
16th May 2012, 10:20 AM
Not going anywhere near this until the dust settles and it becomes at least playable, so I'll give this a couple of months and check it out.
Honestly don't know why people just can't hang on a bit and try their luck in a couple of days instead of stampeding all at once.
Servers are getting absolutely battered from all accounts.

SlayerDragon
16th May 2012, 11:04 AM
Woah, woah, woah, chill people. You're calling them haters and stupid and getting all mad at them and yet look at yourselves. You're the ones who are getting all mad and being haters because of peoples opinions. What's wrong with a devoted Diablo fan being disappointed in the game because they alienated their fanbase and casualized the series, and then him expressing his anger healthily online?

Uh. Yeah, totally healthy and normal and not stupid internet nerdrage idiocy because they can't log in to their video game. It's like the nerdrage boycott of MW2 where everyone was playing the damn game.

Still, I'm sure you guys would be angry to if something you were a fan of suddenly alienated you and the rest of their fans. Look at UT3. Everyone here pretty much agrees it sucked and wasn't a good UT game, yet no one calls the people here haters, dumb, ect. :p

This may come as a surprise but plenty of people liked UT3 and some still play it. I had gripes about UT3 but I thought the core gameplay was fine and the main reason I quit playing it is because I really only played at FragBU and I was tired of getting completely murdered by people way better than me. I'm just terrible at video games.

Sigh, wrong. They were able to take SC2 single player offline and they will be able to with Diablo 3 too. I give them about a week. Actually a couple days even. You people do realize there are illegitimate MMO servers for plenty of mmo games? There are illegitimate Diablo 2 online servers too. This will be much easier than that.

SC2 doesn't have a real money auction house. It's not comparable. I'm sure people will try and reverse engineer it or whatever but that's going to be a while off and will be far inferior to the actual thing for even longer. I do not expect they will allow people to play offline.

SlayerDragon
16th May 2012, 11:08 AM
Hoping everything is ironed out by the weekend

The weekend's going to be worse, it's when more people will have time to play.

Not going anywhere near this until the dust settles and it becomes at least playable, so I'll give this a couple of months and check it out.
Honestly don't know why people just can't hang on a bit and try their luck in a couple of days instead of stampeding all at once.
Servers are getting absolutely battered from all accounts.

Yeah why would people want to play a game they bought the day it's released? How stupid.

Mozi
16th May 2012, 11:13 AM
long post goes here

I agree that there is nothing wrong about saying a game sucks but it can be done constructively. Just getting online and saying 0 worst game ever, blizzard sucks etc is not a helpful nor insightful review for a network infrastructure issue.

As a developer it is hard for me it justify or even read reviews that just look like trolls jumping on launch day issue band wagon. If someone actually posted a well though out and reasonable response to why Diablo 3 deserves a 0 score I would not consider that to be a hater or a troll just trying to get attention on the forums of whatever website they are on.

But I highly doubt anyone could make an out right 0 score review in depth of why Diablo 3 sucks. Granted I have not played it yet, but what I played of the beta I was pretty impressed with the gameplay, combat, and visuals of the game, hardly anything I saw would scream 0 this game sucks toss it in the gutter. But seeing people jump on the metacritic 0/10 band wagon just calls out for making fun of them for being whining trolls who can't deal with the fact it is a game, something went wrong, it will most likely get fixed, be patient and enjoy an awesome game soon.

Slainchild
16th May 2012, 12:34 PM
The weekend's going to be worse, it's when more people will have time to play.

More reason to hope it's sorted out by then :p

Firefly
16th May 2012, 12:37 PM
What? You don't get Release Date Delivery in your area from Amazon?

I have since got an email from my mum. It had arrived at her house (it was a birthday present) and will be here soon. :)

I was wanting to play it on release date but it seems I was saved quite a bit of frustration.

At least I know that the coll ed is mine :D

Lruce Bee
16th May 2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah why would people want to play a game they bought the day it's released? How stupid.

That would be fine for a single player game requiring no internet connection but for a dedicated online only game like Diablo 3 ffs, it's just retarded to expect a clean, smooth game - you know 10 billion other people are all hammering the connect to server tab.
Best to leave it for a little while longer imo
Looks cool though.

Kantham
16th May 2012, 04:33 PM
Woah, woah, woah, chill people. You're calling them haters and stupid and getting all mad at them and yet look at yourselves. You're the ones who are getting all mad and being haters because of peoples opinions.

Here Sleepy, have a smell at some freshly poop'ed-in boxers. Yes, the ones you're currently wearing.

I know I am definitely disappointed and angry

Yes. You're mad.

Read a few comments on Diablo III, granted that 70% of them are error 37 codes, or typically WII-minded reviews to negate or improve the game overall score

Here's what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/ODNnQ.jpg

SleepyHe4d
16th May 2012, 04:42 PM
Here Sleepy, have a smell at some freshly poop'ed-in boxers. Yes, the ones you're currently wearing.

Yes. You're mad.

Not sure what you mean...

Read a few comments on Diablo III, granted that 70% of them are error 37 codes, or typically WII-minded reviews to negate or improve the game overall score

Here's what I mean:

[creenshot]http://i.imgur.com/ODNnQ.jpg[/screenshot]

Still not sure what you mean...

but obviously companies should not piss off a bunch of video game nerds lest they want to face the wrath of hundreds of negative reviews! OH THE HUMANITY!

Sjosz
16th May 2012, 06:36 PM
So my problem with characters disappearing ended up being that the update set my region to Europe instead of Americas on start-up afterwards. Changing it back to Americas got me my characters back. Still disconnecting (3007) ridiculously often for no apparent reason.

Kantham
16th May 2012, 06:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wfLQN.png

16th May 2012, 07:23 PM
that's ****in funny :lol:

Shepard has a cane. priceless.

TWD
16th May 2012, 08:24 PM
This really doesn't even feel like Diablo 3. It's more like regular ol' Diablo. Those other games that we've been playing all these years were just beta tests. Blizzard has gotten pretty good at taking tried and true formulas and extending their lives. It's all very therapeutic.

Haven't had any server trouble since the launch day.

TheWhiteDrag#1183

Twisted Metal
16th May 2012, 09:10 PM
How long does this game take to beat?

Kantham
16th May 2012, 10:33 PM
How long does this game take to beat?

A couple of Asians (Koreans, most presumably) finished it in a few hours after they rushed it, the game is mostly short in content and has a "****load" of scripted events. About the difficulty, apparently just increases the mobs stats such as HP, and not their abilities.

Anyway, for 8-10 years of development, coming from Blizzard.. I wouldn't bother with Diablo III.

--------------------

BTW, my first peek at Blizzard's forums.

http://i.imgur.com/XNoIm.jpg

Featuring our dearest friend White Knight Lord.

And I'mma call someone else a moron but you're an idiot for calling me one.

TWD
16th May 2012, 11:56 PM
People like to throw a stink, but the exact same thing happened with StarCraft II. A week or two later nobody cared.

Sir_Brizz
17th May 2012, 12:25 AM
The game looks fun and I will surely buy it at some point. I just wholesale disagree with the $60 pricepoint so I won't be buying in until it gets lower. The server fiasco is funny because it happens to Blizzard every time.

akstylish
17th May 2012, 12:45 AM
Secret level hath been revealed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQzJC-vS40

Kantham
17th May 2012, 01:25 AM
People like to throw a stink, but the exact same thing happened with StarCraft II. A week or two later nobody cared.

I honestly believe SC II has more to offer in the long therm from what I read so far. Therefore, I doubt it will be a no-****-given 2 weeks later. D3 just seems to be average overall, at least for Blizzard game!

Lruce Bee
17th May 2012, 02:35 AM

Yeah, I remember it well, and this is the point I was trying to make.

Edit: Starcraft is absolutely awesome and still the best.

SleepyHe4d
17th May 2012, 08:11 AM
TBH SC2s campaign sucked. The game was basically SC 1.5 with some new units for multiplayer. Blizzard has really gone downhill since WoW.

I honestly believe SC II has more to offer in the long therm from what I read so far.

I'm sure people will be dedicated to both, for different reasons. Like Diablo 2 vs Brood War. Still, I think D3 will be too shallow and will get boring long term. At least SC2 has that competitive aspect that can keep things fresh for a long time.

Capt.Toilet
17th May 2012, 08:38 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/blizzard-Diablo-3-Game-error-Bug,15669.html

Massive facepalm to this. That 2 years of polish really went far.

toniglandyl
17th May 2012, 10:50 AM
could some people send me some euro guest passes please ? I'd love to try the game with some friends.

(guest passes are region blocked so american ones can only be played on american servers)

Kantham
17th May 2012, 02:45 PM
... much to the sorrow (and sometimes wrath) of gamers who had ditched work or school in order to play the game.

Hahaha, that's too bad.

You skip something important to play a video game, it doesn't go the way you expected it to, deal with it.

Vaskadar
17th May 2012, 03:01 PM
Disconfirmed expectations lead to confusion. Confusion can lead to sorrow and wrath.

Sirius
17th May 2012, 03:25 PM
Disconfirmed expectations lead to confusion. Confusion can lead to sorrow and wrath.

And wrath can lead to the Dark Side.

I'll save my moneys and wait for Torchlight 2

SlayerDragon
17th May 2012, 04:10 PM
The pressure is turning up on Torchlight 2, I wonder how Runic feels about this?

SleepyHe4d
17th May 2012, 04:34 PM
^Happy as ****?

http://i.imgur.com/Xnk00.gif
       |              |                   |
       |       Runic's face when    |
        \_____________________/
                         |
                Diablo 3 fans

My face:
http://i.imgur.com/gInZb.gif

Firefly
17th May 2012, 05:49 PM
I am loving d3. Really don't see what's wrong. Nice and smooth and connection straight away.

Plus the collector's edition is awesome. a real work of art.

Slainchild
17th May 2012, 06:19 PM
I am loving d3. Really don't see what's wrong. Nice and smooth and connection straight away.

Plus the collector's edition is awesome. a real work of art.

Yup :)

My progress... Just done the first quest in Act 3. Level 26 and 15 hours played.

http://i.imgur.com/rlbQf.jpg

TWD
17th May 2012, 07:53 PM
TBH SC2s campaign sucked. The game was basically SC 1.5 with some new units for multiplayer. Blizzard has really gone downhill since WoW.

I'm sure people will be dedicated to both, for different reasons. Like Diablo 2 vs Brood War. Still, I think D3 will be too shallow and will get boring long term. At least SC2 has that competitive aspect that can keep things fresh for a long time.

The whole thing here is that with both of these games Blizzard's #1 priority has been to provide an update without ruining what was great about the original. In that respect they've done an amazing job. The core fans of the games still love them. All they really did was breathe new life into old communities. You don't hear the same crap you do here where large swaths of the community think the devs ruined the series.

SleepyHe4d
17th May 2012, 08:22 PM
Maybe the addictive aspect of the Diablo series they managed to keep, but still, I was a core fan of the Diablo series and I don't love d3. :p Oh well, I can't do anything about it, just move on and hope for something else like Torchlight 2. :D

Kind of makes sense this way too since Torchlight 2 has the D1 and D2 devs working on it and Diablo 3 has only new people working on it. I guess it's to be expected.

Trynant
17th May 2012, 10:06 PM
So, I like this game; but this online-only **** was the worst idea. The worst. Also I beat Normal in 18 1/2 hours, going at a fairly brisk pace but by no means speed-running.

Everyone who is giving this game anything less than an average score is butthurt by the online-only. It's a solid online game with a disastrous launch.

TWD
18th May 2012, 12:03 AM
It took me 8 hours to beat the first act, and I make sure I explore every area and kill every monster. To beat the game on the highest difficulty though will take some effort I'm sure.

Also, while I still think that sometimes things look a little WarCraft-ish, whoever said this game wasn't going to be dark enough was just plain wrong. I remember those long nights playing in the dark. Always thinking there might be something else in the room with me. Those torture levels have every bit of that feeling and more. I hope it continues to get darker in the other chapters.

Slainchild
18th May 2012, 12:48 AM
Those torture levels have every bit of that feeling and more. I hope it continues to get darker in the other chapters.

I'll go ahead and confirm that yes, it gets darker. http://i.imgur.com/sftFg.jpg (cropped screenshot of mine from later in the game...)

Mozi
18th May 2012, 10:44 AM
Started up a witch doctor last night before going to sleep. Logged in, no problems, having fun as I expected.

Slainchild
18th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Just beat the game on Normal and started on Nightmare straight away :p

Ended at level 33 with 23h45m on the clock. Everything was amazing. Now the journey to level 60 and epic lootz continues. :)

DeathBooger
18th May 2012, 12:39 PM
Just beat the game on Normal and started on Nightmare straight away :p

Ended at level 33 with 23h45m on the clock. Everything was amazing. Now the journey to level 60 and epic lootz continues. :)

You just spent 24 hours out of 72 total playing a video game. Go outside.

Slainchild
18th May 2012, 12:42 PM
I went outside on the walk to and from work every day, does that count? :p

Kantham
18th May 2012, 12:46 PM
Anyone else feels like the linear design of this game is kind of problematic in the long run? I've seen Torchlight and Path of Exile work on different things to solve this problem.

Slainchild
18th May 2012, 12:57 PM
Anyone else feels like the linear design of this game is kind of problematic in the long run? I've seen Torchlight and Path of Exile work on different things to solve this problem.

You're going to have to elaborate on what you mean here. The only linear part about the game is progression of the story quests. Everything in-between is randomized every time you start a game, including dungeon layouts, enemy spawns, random events, etc.

SlayerDragon
18th May 2012, 02:06 PM
No man it's gotta be sandbox open world choose your own adventure

Sjosz
18th May 2012, 02:10 PM
Found out yesterday morning that running my internet connection directly from modem to PC instead of through my router makes it so the game doesn't constantly disconnect, and then found out it was 2:30 AM all of a sudden and I'd just beaten act 2 on Normal. When it works, this game is awesome.

Kantham
18th May 2012, 02:21 PM
You're going to have to elaborate on what you mean here. The only linear part about the game is progression of the story quests. Everything in-between is randomized every time you start a game, including dungeon layouts, enemy spawns, random events, etc.

It is? It's not what I read. But hey, I guess this (http://i.imgur.com/durlG.jpg) applies to what I've been reading.

Slainchild
18th May 2012, 02:36 PM
It is? It's not what I read. But hey, I guess this (http://i.imgur.com/durlG.jpg) applies to what I've been reading.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9NLRDAs0YA

It's just levels from the Beta, but still applies to the full game zones of course.

Juggalo Kyle
18th May 2012, 02:39 PM
I haven't got the game yet, but my buddy gave me the Act I trial, and man I've been having fun. Playing a Witch Doctor.

I probably won't have the dough to buy the game for a while, so I was going to replay the trial through with every class, see which ones I like the best. So far, the Witch Doctor is pretty sweet, but I think I'll play a Barbarian next.

Kantham
18th May 2012, 02:55 PM
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9NLRDAs0YA

It's just levels from the Beta, but still applies to the full game zones of course.

That's pretty much what I thought of it. You'd have to play the game a lot to notice the real difference I suppose.

TWD
18th May 2012, 05:18 PM
So...are we just going to talk about it, or is anybody else going to post their names so we can play?

Kantham
18th May 2012, 07:48 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-WL6XWj5/0/L/i-WL6XWj5-X2.jpg

d3tox
19th May 2012, 05:34 PM
d3tox#1477 is mah tag.

Trynant
19th May 2012, 08:09 PM
Trynant#1959 is mine

TWD
19th May 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm now into the 3rd act. I'm really starting to see why it took them so long to make the game. Every step they find a way to keep it interesting. From the numerous environment pallets, different types of enemies, side quests, and even down to the voice acting. There's just a ton of content in this game. It looks like it's going to take me 40 hours to beat it on normal. If I do it on all the difficulty levels that's a good 120 hours.

Sjosz
20th May 2012, 02:55 AM
Apparently I've already played this game for over 36 hours on a single character. Beat Normal, immediately started on Nightmare, and now the really satisfying game of Diablo comes to the surface where tinkering with armor and stats and especially resistances becomes important.

I kinda wish there were more bossfights like the final one in Act 2, because that was just immensely impressive, but on the whole this is a really great game. Am loving the coop balance on drop-in and drop-out as well (except when you're solo-ing a heroic enemy and suddenly it becomes 3 times as powerful because 2 people jump in), and the step up from Normal to Nightmare feels just right.

On top of things the auction house is a lot of fun. Put some rare items up there at a competitive price, and try and get a bargain for some cool stuff to give to your characters, it's pretty great. This game is going to suck all my spare time away for a while.

Rambowjo
20th May 2012, 08:14 AM
In a lot of ways, this game is like Diablo II, in terms of how you progress.

So, obviously, act i and ii take place in the same areas in Diablo II. Belial is stupidly hard, probably the hardest boss fight in the game, same as Duriel back in D2. You travel to act iii by speaking to Tyrael. Azmodan is stupidly easy, just like Mephisto. You travel to act iv by following Diablo through a red portal, just like D2.

I thought these similarities were funny.

Anyhow, I've had fun with the game, been playing Demon Hunter. I soloed everything, didn't use mercenaries. Diablo was a little easy in my opinion, Belial was without a doubt the hardest and also most fun boss. The act progression in iii and iv was a little fast, almost too fast for my taste. I did both of them in one sitting, simply because there wasn't any downtime ever, you could just keep on going and going.

Overall, the game isn't particularly better than Diablo II. I'd say it is slightly better in some areas, for example items, skills and monsters, but the story is lacking and the graphics are a little disappointing at times. You never really got that feeling of belonging like you did in Diablo II. The Diablo II towns had a lot more spirit, is what I'm saying I guess.

Buy the game if you liked Diablo II. You won't be disappointed.

Slainchild
20th May 2012, 09:19 AM
Belial is stupidly hard, probably the hardest boss fight in the game, same as Duriel back in D2.

I died more here than any other place in the game, as a Barbarian. Until I hired the Templar with all of his healing buffs. :D

Trynant
20th May 2012, 11:33 AM
So no spoilers on those comments? No? Okay then.

I had a totally different experience. Belial was easy for me, Diablo was HARD. Actually, Diablo was okay hard. It was ****ing Izual who really got me a bunch of times. Azmodan was still a joke though.

Also this auction house (not the real money one) is a very nice source of income and you can get good gear at low rates if you look.

Rambowjo
20th May 2012, 12:23 PM
So no spoilers on those comments? No? Okay then.

I had a totally different experience. Belial was easy for me, Diablo was HARD. Actually, Diablo was okay hard. It was ****ing Izual who really got me a bunch of times. Azmodan was still a joke though.

Also this auction house (not the real money one) is a very nice source of income and you can get good gear at low rates if you look.

I wrote spoiler in the title. The spoilers aren't really that huge, so I figured it didn't matter.

But yeah, Izual was really hard too. The trick is to not touch him. I set up a slowing spec, and I could easily keep my distance, allowing me to kill him quite easily. Obviously, Izual was also present in act iv of Diablo II, and in the same vein, you really didn't want to be in melee range of him.

Sir_Brizz
20th May 2012, 01:02 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/how-diablo-iiis-solo-experience-reveals-a-hollow-game/

Maybe it gets better in Act 3? But this sure makes it sound like they didn't make all the right decisions. Guess I won't know for a while as it's going to be some time before this goes under $60.

Slainchild
20th May 2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/how-diablo-iiis-solo-experience-reveals-a-hollow-game/

Maybe it gets better in Act 3? But this sure makes it sound like they didn't make all the right decisions. Guess I won't know for a while as it's going to be some time before this goes under $60.

It does get a lot better in Act 3, imo. Act2 was probably my least favourite, it does have some cool areas and dungeons though.

About the article itself, the guy has clearly not played enough of the game yet. Three things stood out to me.

Online-only, sure, whatever. People had issues, most of it is fixed now.

I agree the skill selection window could be better, the fact that you have to scroll through multiple pages with elective mode on is a pain. Everything on one screen would be nicer. The skills themselves are perfectly fine and all have their uses.

He complains about difficulty but has only got to the starting zone of Act 2... on normal difficulty. True, maybe the game could have been harder from the get-go, but not everyone is good at videogames. Loot and drops get better the further you go into the game too.

Vaskadar
20th May 2012, 02:32 PM
I hate it when people review a game after only playing partway through. Really irksome.

Firefly
20th May 2012, 02:59 PM

it's worth $60 (in as much as any game is worth $60).

SlayerDragon
20th May 2012, 05:26 PM
I hate it when people review a game after only playing partway through. Really irksome.

^ This. ****.

Diablo 3 is definitely fun. I finished a normal mode run earlier and kicked right into a Nightmare run before going for a nap. It was a fun romp. I managed to get all the way up to Belial without dying. Then I died three times in a row before murdering him. I just wasn't paying enough attention to stuff on the ground, and once I realized I needed to do that, I was fine. Then I got to Act III and died like a dozen times to those mother****ers with the tentacle arms that pop out of the ground. Holy ****, those guys are assholes. I would go from full health to no health in less than a second. I redid a bunch of my gear since I had sort of neglected most of it to that point, got a bunch more Vitality on it and tripled my health pool. No more deaths without doing really stupid things. Now I'm back in Tristram punching evil in the face all over again. Monk is a ****ing great character, not just his skills and stuff, I just like the dude.

Anyway, hit me up, I'm Fartmancer#1899. Let's punch demons together.

dragonfliet
20th May 2012, 05:34 PM

It's not a review, it is notes on the game thus far, and are people's opinions on the first two acts of a game somehow less valid? On that same note: I really hate it when publishers refuse to let their game be played in time for a day one review.

TWD
20th May 2012, 07:08 PM
I think the reviewer is missing the point. I already said this once, and Rambow touched on it as well. It really isn't a new game. It's Diablo II. It's still just as fun as ever.

I never played all the way through Diablo II, but I also agree that the story is a little weak. It's epic, but it also feels a little forced. It suffers from the same story weaknesses that StarCraft II encountered. It's a little cheesy, and there's too much filler.

I'm still only half way through Act 3 at about 24 hours. On Saturday I played until my head hurt.

Kantham
20th May 2012, 08:04 PM
Random pots of positive thoughts:

Addictive game, grinding in the story doesn't make it too boring as I thought it would be, and the bosses don't drop items people would farm. Totally love the fact that they don't allow companions in MP. D2 crybabies on about how everything is auto-unlocked; I must be a casual noob then, because I enjoy being versatile switching back and forth, without having to re-$pec my skills for different playstyles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Feedback/concerns..

My main gripe with this game right now is Crafting, which is a pointless Money sink.. correct me if I am wrong, but it's no use up even to level 30 crafts, I get craftable items that are no where as good as the ones I find or get on the AH.

Also, quantity > quality loot system. Nearly every magic/rares I pick up are 5-10 levels below me, rendering them useless. So I mostly get my weapons from the AH..

The auction house - Filters are working well as expected and it is highly responsive, but kinda stinks in a few spots. For instance, you can put whatever amount of gold you want for buyout, meaning people sorting by buyout prices can find you level 5 magic dagger selling for 2 billion gold for priority. There's just so many items on the AH right now that's what mostly everyone is going to do.

Additionally, you are only allowed to 10 items at a time, which is fine! But here's the actual problem: 2 DAYS auctions - only option. You can NOT cancel any items you've posted 5 minutes after you did which is very irritating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess I won't know for a while as it's going to be some time before this goes under $60.

SC2 still sells for $59,99.

Not any time soon..

SlayerDragon
21st May 2012, 12:59 AM
I found a place

http://cschammel.com/img/diablo3/Screenshot003.jpg

with a dude in it
http://cschammel.com/img/diablo3/Screenshot004.jpg

All the zombies were named after devs. Pretty funny.

I also found a Legendary chest piece today. I didn't like it much so I put it on the AH. There's a bunch of them there already of course. Iron something or other. It has a bunch of armor and resists but no stats for me and only one socket so not all that useful beyond the resists.

Bed time.

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 01:31 AM
I think the reviewer is missing the point. I already said this once, and Rambow touched on it as well. It really isn't a new game. It's Diablo II. It's still just as fun as ever.
I think the reviewer has a point... for as long as this game was in development, how does it manage to add nothing new to the genre? It doesn't mean it's not fun or a good game, it just means it should have been out 2 years ago. That being said, the writer himself admits he's only in Act 2 when he wrote that. Perhaps his view will change in Act 3.
SC2 still sells for $59,99.

Not any time soon..
SC2 has been on sale for $30 in the past though, a price I am unwilling to pay for that game but more likely to pay for Diablo 3.

Kantham
21st May 2012, 04:21 AM
Square Gems are the lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_legHoEvJM

shoptroll
21st May 2012, 09:31 AM
I think the reviewer has a point... for as long as this game was in development, how does it manage to add nothing new to the genre? It doesn't mean it's not fun or a good game, it just means it should have been out 2 years ago.

It probably would've been out two years ago but from various reports it sounds like it was in massive development hell. It was what, less than six months ago, when they announced the change to the rune/skill system, crafting changes, dropping one of the artisans, dropping PvP from launch, loot drop changes, etc.

Starcraft II was also "in development" for a protracted period of time and that didn't exactly re-invent the wheel either.

The article does have a good point about the illusion being ruined by progress loss due to connection drops. But that's not really an issue with D3 so much as a problem with the genre/franchise. There were times in D2 I would have to play through areas multiple times because my connection dropped in a realm game, or I wasn't able to reach the next waypoint before I had to run off to class. Having to retrace your steps and then slowly slog through the map, because the game generates a new map, to get to the next step is incredibly frustrating because you feel like you already completed that level.

Trynant
21st May 2012, 09:52 AM
That review is incredibly dismissive of the mechanics in Diablo 3 that do try new things. He literally puts in a couple of sentences on how the skill system is nothing new. Wat. The replacement of talent trees with the rune system + the way skills work now is a very novel concept and should not be ignored to the degree it was in that article. And enemies get MUCH different and MUCH more difficult later on (although for some this may take all the way to Nightmare difficulty).

The game's writing did not get on my nerves nearly as much as it did that reviewers either.

DRM is still absurd though. That's true.

The game's got its flaws, yes, but it's not a 'hollow' experience.

SlayerDragon
21st May 2012, 10:01 AM
Why does a sequel need to add something new, rather than add polish to what was already there? It's more Diablo. Innovation is nice and all, but they've rounded off a lot of the sharper edges and made a much smoother experience, in my opinion.

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 10:06 AM
Why does a sequel need to add something new, rather than add polish to what was already there? It's more Diablo. Innovation is nice and all, but they've rounded off a lot of the sharper edges and made a much smoother experience, in my opinion.
I think the point the article is making is more "I waited how long and this is what I get?" instead of "This game is terrible because it does nothing new".

The game looks fun, it seems even the person who wrote this article would agree that with other people it's probably a blast.

hal
21st May 2012, 10:25 AM
That review is incredibly dismissive of the mechanics in Diablo 3 that do try new things.

It wasn't a review - just an editorial on the experience so far.

SlayerDragon
21st May 2012, 10:59 AM
The game looks fun, it seems even the person who wrote this article would agree that with other people it's probably a blast.

Did we even read the same article?

Trynant
21st May 2012, 11:30 AM
It wasn't a review - just an editorial on the experience so far.

That editorial is incredibly dismissive of the mechanics in Diablo 3 that do try new things.

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 11:45 AM
Did we even read the same article?
Yeah? He sayd playing it solo emphasizes the hollowness of the game. The implied other side of that coin is that with other people you don't notice how hollow it is.
That editorial is incredibly dismissive of the mechanics in Diablo 3 that do try new things.
The mechanics you mentioned don't sounds like anything different than what other games have already done with different names.

Trynant
21st May 2012, 12:00 PM
The mechanics you mentioned don't sounds like anything different than what other games have already done with different names.

SPELL BETTER lol,,:mad:

But really, as far as I've played other games have not done things with the abilities and ability progression in the way that Diablo 3 has (at least not with ARPGs). What Blizzard has done is provided an interesting alternative to the talent tree system--an alternative that provides more flexibility in character customization. Also making basic attacks a special skill you can pick rather than...well basic attacking is a neat feature that I would like to see more in ARPGs.

Firefly
21st May 2012, 01:17 PM
Brizz do you want one of my guest passes so you can try it for yourself?

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 02:31 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Firefly
21st May 2012, 02:39 PM
just pm'ed you:)

shoptroll
21st May 2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah? He sayd playing it solo emphasizes the hollowness of the game. The implied other side of that coin is that with other people you don't notice how hollow it is.

It's also John Walker who is occasionally a bit of a grump over there . Most of the rest of the crew seem ok with it, and i think the main reason he's playing solo is due to illness.

As a point of interest, here's his first "experience" with D3: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/15/hack-slashes-three-hours-with-diablo-iii/

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 02:53 PM
It's also John Walker who is occasionally a bit of a grump over there . Most of the rest of the crew seem ok with it, and i think the main reason he's playing solo is due to illness.

As a point of interest, here's his first "experience" with D3: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/15/hack-slashes-three-hours-with-diablo-iii/
I dunno, I don't see much wrong with his initial impressions. I get the feeling the game is kind of average if you play it by yourself, but, frankly, that is probably true of each Diablo game. I don't even remember playing Diablo 1 solo and I most certainly did not beat it other than online.

shoptroll
21st May 2012, 03:33 PM
I dunno, I don't see much wrong with his initial impressions. I get the feeling the game is kind of average if you play it by yourself, but, frankly, that is probably true of each Diablo game. I don't even remember playing Diablo 1 solo and I most certainly did not beat it other than online.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on this. Check my earlier post, losing progress in D2 was possible and it sucked even then having to retrace your steps. That's just an inherent flaw in the series.

TWD
21st May 2012, 07:05 PM
I think the reviewer has a point... for as long as this game was in development, how does it manage to add nothing new to the genre? It doesn't mean it's not fun or a good game, it just means it should have been out 2 years ago. That being said, the writer himself admits he's only in Act 2 when he wrote that. Perhaps his view will change in Act 3.

SC2 has been on sale for $30 in the past though, a price I am unwilling to pay for that game but more likely to pay for Diablo 3.

But again Blizzard has not been seeking to make big gameplay changes to any of its recent titles. For those of us that still played the originals that's more than enough.

However, it certainly would take a long time to generate all of the art content for the game, and I'm sure that's where the vast majority of the development costs went.

So if the complaint is "there isn't anything new or revolutionary about this game" then I would argue that you weren't the demographic that this game is targeted towards. You're playing the wrong game. It's a nostalgia trip, and nothing more.

Sjosz
21st May 2012, 09:07 PM
However, it certainly would take a long time to generate all of the art content for the game, and I'm sure that's where the vast majority of the development costs went.

I'll go ahead and disagree with you. Sure content development takes time, but this being the online-only game it is, it has to have been programmed that way from the ground up and I'd venture a guess that most of the development time has gone towards building everything to be network-supported.

xMurphyx
21st May 2012, 09:08 PM
So if the complaint is "there isn't anything new or revolutionary about this game" then I would argue that you weren't the demographic that this game is targeted towards. You're playing the wrong game. It's a nostalgia trip, and nothing more.
I would then argue, that if you're after a nostalgia trip and you want to relive the glory days of Diablo 1 or 2 you'd be playing the wrong game too, because the right game to play then would be Path of Exile..

Sir_Brizz
21st May 2012, 09:11 PM
I would then argue, that if you're after a nostalgia trip and you want to relive the glory days of Diablo 1 or 2 you'd be playing the wrong game too, because the right game to play then would be Path of Exile..
Or how about Diablo 1 and 2?

I mean, it's not like Blizzard ever stops supporting their most popular games, right? Both of these games still operate just fine, even on Battle.net and brand new computers.

I still think it's a ridiculously long time to develop a game that does little to "change the game", although it does change some things that might make long time fans crazy (like always-on DRM).

And, frankly, again, I'm not saying the game isn't going to be fun, even for me. It's more of an observation than a criticism as far as I'm concerned.

TWD
21st May 2012, 09:18 PM
Or how about Diablo 1 and 2?

I mean, it's not like Blizzard ever stops supporting their most popular games, right? Both of these games still operate just fine, even on Battle.net and brand new computers.

I still think it's a ridiculously long time to develop a game that does little to "change the game", although it does change some things that might make long time fans crazy (like always-on DRM).

And, frankly, again, I'm not saying the game isn't going to be fun, even for me. It's more of an observation than a criticism as far as I'm concerned.

Actually not true. Diablo II was originally set up to use glide, and the online game is pointless now because of griefers. I had a lot of trouble getting Diablo II to run on my machines. It took several hours to get them working on both machines so I could play with my wife. The game needed an update to extend the life.

xMurphyx
21st May 2012, 09:40 PM
I don't know. I have Windows 7 64 bit (playing in a network with a Windows XP 32 3bit machine), a modern gpu, a multicore processor and a widescreen monitor. So pretty much all the usual pitfalls for older games. I've had zero trouble getting Diablo 2 to run flawlessly.

SleepyHe4d
21st May 2012, 10:01 PM
I've had zero trouble getting Diablo 2 to run flawlessly.

Same here. He's got a point about the online bs though. I really do wish Diablo 3 was a nostalgia trip though, but what it really is is just a way to cash in on all the WoW kids or non-diablo fans (well, just a wider audience imo) looking for something different for a short period.

I have serious doubts that this game will have the staying power that D1 or D2 had (10 years daymn) or be able to build up a true fanbase like the former games did, but instead just work as a temporary distraction of sorts.

I'll definitely be interested to see how this game evolves in a year or two, knowing blizzard and their patches. Maybe will pick the game up cheaper at that time if it ends up thriving. :o

Square Gems are the lol.

[]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_legHoEvJM[/m]

Lolz, $60 for this? :doh:

Well, I guess there's still hell mode if that doesn't work there. :p

TWD
21st May 2012, 10:19 PM
I have serious doubts that this game will have the staying power that D1 or D2 had (10 years daymn) or be able to build up a true fanbase like the former games did, but instead just work as a temporary distraction of sorts.

I'll definitely be interested to see how this game evolves in a year or two, knowing blizzard and their patches. Maybe will pick the game up cheaper at that time if it ends up thriving. :o

Agreed. Back then that was all we had. It just doesn't have the same power it did back then. I even question how much staying power Diablo II really had. There's a good 300 hours of playing time in this game for the hardcore that beat it on hardest difficulty with every class, but it's not going to last for 10 years.

SleepyHe4d
21st May 2012, 10:26 PM
Yup, it does have to do with external factors too, or just being in the right place at the right time. Also fan dedication once a group gets into something specific. CoD4 and 2 still have way more people playing them than any of the newer ones where they try to add or change all kinds of stuff.

Edit: Wow though, people are going at it, but I guess it's not too surprising.

http://i.imgur.com/ONBhQ.jpg

Interestingly enough it hasn't cut into D2's time at all which is at 2500 hours, respectable for a 10 year old game and compared to #12 on that list, SC2 with 7800 hours.

xMurphyx
21st May 2012, 11:58 PM
I assume all that Diablo 3 hype gave Diablo 2 quite a boost as well. I bet the numbers looked different 6 months or a year ago.

Sir_Brizz
22nd May 2012, 12:29 AM
Maybe it was around the time that they increased the freaking price of the D2 battle chest. Been waiting to buy that forever.

Sir_Brizz
22nd May 2012, 01:16 AM
Region restrictions strike again................ Gotta love useless DRM. I got the Starter Edition from Firefly, but because it's a European key, the game doesn't see a license on my Battle.net account.

Way to go, Blizzard....

toniglandyl
22nd May 2012, 01:19 AM
brizz : you have to set your region to european in the options on the login menu.
I had the same problem : american key while I'm in europe.

Capt.Toilet
22nd May 2012, 07:00 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Exploit-hijacking-hacking-diablo-3-action-RPG,15713.html

This is getting interesting.

Rambowjo
22nd May 2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, stay out of public games for the moment. Only play with your friends.

Kantham
22nd May 2012, 09:30 AM
Public games are terrible anyway. You get matched up against AFK'ers or people going their own way. Get in a public game of 4 and you can expect to have the worse experience possible.

Lolz, $60 for this? :doh:

Well, I guess there's still hell mode if that doesn't work there. :p

My friend described the AH as "come here to win". It's not really arguable on normal difficulty, but you will still die on Nightmare (2/4).

This game is still fun.

Sir_Brizz
22nd May 2012, 11:26 AM
brizz : you have to set your region to european in the options on the login menu.
I had the same problem : american key while I'm in europe.
I'll try it tonight.

Just dumb.

Sirius
22nd May 2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Exploit-hijacking-hacking-diablo-3-action-RPG,15713.html

This is getting interesting.

I read this on Kotaku this morning as well.
I've been thinking about getting this game and I am a single player only type. What i want to know is would I still be vulnerable to this type of crap or is it only the ones in multiplayer. I've heard conflicting reports.

Capt.Toilet
22nd May 2012, 12:14 PM
I read this on Kotaku this morning as well.
I've been thinking about getting this game and I am a single player only type. What i want to know is would I still be vulnerable to this type of crap or is it only the ones in multiplayer. I've heard conflicting reports.

I have no idea but I would guess yes since you are constantly online, even if you choose "offline mode". I put that in quotes because you aren't really offline, you just won't be joinable.

Blizzard has responded by the way http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Diablo-3-Authenticator-Battle.net-Bashiok-Password,15724.html

Sirius
22nd May 2012, 01:33 PM
So apparently, according to Blizzard, I am supposed to get an "Authenticator" to protect my battle.net account.

And of course this "Authenticator" is to be "Purchased" or I can use the free smart phone app...which would be nice if I owned a smart phone.

So basically I need to pay the Mafia (Blizzard) for protection from Hackers when in fact Blizzard should be providing the security for free. If they want online only play then it's their responsibility to provide a hack free environment.

As fun as this game looks I think I'll unfortunately have to pass. And I certainly don't see a light at the end of this tunnel considering that Blizzard is having this much trouble (and apparently trying to brush it under the rug) and the real money auction house hasn't even opened yet.

Firefly
22nd May 2012, 01:55 PM
Play with people you trust and don't turn the game into a public game and you'll be fine.

If you are soloing you'll be fine as well.

Sir_Brizz
22nd May 2012, 03:37 PM
So apparently, according to Blizzard, I am supposed to get an "Authenticator" to protect my battle.net account.

And of course this "Authenticator" is to be "Purchased" or I can use the free smart phone app...which would be nice if I owned a smart phone.
Sure, except people with Authenticator reported being hacked.

Rambowjo
22nd May 2012, 07:21 PM
Authenticator won't protect you against session hijacking though, so it doesn't matter.

shadow_dragon
23rd May 2012, 12:47 AM
I'm enjoying it though I don't appreciate "lag" in my singleplayer game or inability to play due to login servers being unavailable.

Sir_Brizz
23rd May 2012, 02:08 AM
Just got done playing some Torchlight 2 Beta.

Love it!

toniglandyl
23rd May 2012, 02:53 AM

Love it!

wrong thread ? :D

FlashIV
23rd May 2012, 04:58 AM
I just started Nightmare yesterday and boy does the difficulty really ramp up. I had to bail from a couple encounters using my Witch Doctor 'cause I was getting overrun. Those champion and elite packs are not to be taken lightly.

The campaign did feel a little short after being used to 5 acts in Diablo 2 for so long, but I thought the story was actually pretty good. Also, unlike Diablo 2, I can't remember any location that I dread returning too, i.e. the maggot tunnels and basically all of Act 3's jungle.

SlayerDragon
23rd May 2012, 09:33 AM
I just started Nightmare yesterday and boy does the difficulty really ramp up. I had to bail from a couple encounters using my Witch Doctor 'cause I was getting overrun. Those champion and elite packs are not to be taken lightly.

The campaign did feel a little short after being used to 5 acts in Diablo 2 for so long, but I thought the story was actually pretty good. Also, unlike Diablo 2, I can't remember any location that I dread returning too, i.e. the maggot tunnels and basically all of Act 3's jungle.

Vanilla Diablo 2 has four acts, the fifth is from Lord of Destruction. Diablo 3 does feel shorter, though. Act IV in particular is really short and even Act III didn't take me very long to power through. I hope they'll add more content eventually, but I won't hold my breath. I'm still really enjoying this game.

Sir_Brizz
23rd May 2012, 11:09 AM
If they do add content it will surely be in expansion packs and not free addons.

Vaskadar
23rd May 2012, 11:33 AM
If they do add content it will surely be in expansion packs and not free addons.

Well, yeah. How could you expect Actiblizzard to do anything but?

Capt.Toilet
23rd May 2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/diablo-iii-sells-35-million-in-24-hours-6378257

Despite the ****ty launch, I would say the online drm was a success.

shoptroll
23rd May 2012, 11:37 AM
Act IV in particular is really short

Shorter than Act IV of D2?

Aside from the PvP arenas they already said they don't plan on patching in new content.

Well, yeah. How could you expect Actiblizzard to do anything but?

Expansions have been Blizzard's MO since 1994 :p

SlayerDragon
23rd May 2012, 11:47 AM

Why would I expect any different?

Slainchild
23rd May 2012, 12:19 PM
I expect an expansion in early 2014.

Big-Al
23rd May 2012, 12:22 PM

moneymoneymoney

NeoNite
23rd May 2012, 01:41 PM
...it's so funny...

SlayerDragon
23rd May 2012, 01:48 PM
Quality post thanks for participating.

Sirius
23rd May 2012, 02:22 PM

Love it!

:D
Quick and painless isn't it. What class (classes) have you played?

Back on Diablo. I took the plunge last night and bought the game. Aside from taking about an hour to load the game everything else was smooth. I've not even played for an hour yet so I have no idea about lag or anything else. Game looks sweet. I just hope I won't run into any issues.

shoptroll
23rd May 2012, 02:26 PM
I expect an expansion in early 2014.

I think it took them a little over a year for the D2 expansion. I'd expect 2014 at the latest. Although, the Starcraft II expansion is taking a lot longer than originally expected so maybe you're right.

Slainchild
23rd May 2012, 02:28 PM
I think it took them a little over a year for the D2 expansion. I'd expect 2014 at the latest. Although, the Starcraft II expansion is taking a lot longer than originally expected so maybe you're right.

I figure they'll want to stagger their releases to one a year.

WoW: Mists of Panda Tears -- Later 2012
Starcraft: Heart of the Swarm -- Mid 2013
Diablo 3 Exp -- Early 2014

Capt.Toilet
23rd May 2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5743-You-Should-Be-Mad-at-Diablo-IIIs-Always-Online-DRM

Slainchild
23rd May 2012, 03:17 PM
Jim Sterling reminds me of Ghom

Mozi
23rd May 2012, 03:40 PM
Jim Sterling reminds me of Ghom

Jim Sterling is always mad at something... the sole reason I stopped reading Destructoid...do one article or segment where you don't complain, just try it. Oh wait making complaining and whining articles helps with page hits... derp

NeoNite
23rd May 2012, 03:49 PM
Quality post thanks for participating.

in a rich man's world...

Sir_Brizz
23rd May 2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5743-You-Should-Be-Mad-at-Diablo-IIIs-Always-Online-DRM
He makes some good points but he definitely comes off as "umadbro".

Capt.Toilet
23rd May 2012, 09:16 PM
He makes some good points but he definitely comes off as "umadbro".

True but when isn't Jim Sterling mad :)

TWD
23rd May 2012, 09:23 PM
So this makes me feel stupid for not seeing this earlier, but go into Options -> Gameplay -> Elective mode.

Allows you to select what ability goes into what slot. It also allows you to use more than one skill from any one category. So you could put 4 defensive skills into your action bar if you wanted.

Slainchild
23rd May 2012, 10:51 PM
So this makes me feel stupid for not seeing this earlier, but go into Options -> Gameplay -> Elective mode.

Allows you to select what ability goes into what slot. It also allows you to use more than one skill from any one category. So you could put 4 defensive skills into your action bar if you wanted.

Been using this from day 1 :p

TWD
23rd May 2012, 11:56 PM
So here's the problem with the story:

The bad guys won't shut up. This game does a great job of building up a ton of suspense. At first you just can't wait to take on the main bad guys. Then they start opening their mouths. Your hero says it best when he says to Belial "yeah yeah nobody bought your stupid crap, we all knew it was you all along". Asmodan is the worst. At first I'm all pumped. Epic battlefield fighting against the armies of hell! So I destroy his army that is attacking the keep and he says "hah no matter my siege weapons will destroy you!". So then I go and destroy all his catapults and he says "well you'll never get into hell". So we destroy the gates of hell. By the time you get to the actual boss fight it's like "ok fatty let's just get this over with!" It's the same thing once you get up to heaven. They have this epic cinematic to get you all pumped about defending Heaven from the Prime Evil. Then you find out that all the Angels are easily discouraged pussies.

Zultan Krulle was right all along. We'd be better off without any of them. It's not that the angels can be just as evil as the demons, it's that both groups are a bunch of incompetent pussies! I should have taken Zultan's offer and joined him. We would have easily dispatched all the Lords of Hell, and the Angels. Afterwords I would turn on Zultan since he was pathetically easy to destroy as well. I would then stand supreme as the sole ruler of Heaven, Hell, and Sanctuary!!!

Kantham
24th May 2012, 04:30 PM
So here's the problem with the story:

The bad guys won't shut up.

Can't ****ing agree more.

EnemyDemon#4234: You will die and suffer! Threat #18949785
Player: .
*EnemyDemon#4234 was slain.*
Rinse repeat.

Cydaea is the most laughable boss in this game.

By the way, I've been looking into it without really any pertinent information, but is there any purposes for going Hardcore? I read NPC characters won't call you nephalem anymore since you are mortal, but that's it? There has to be some kind of Risk = Reward going on.

shoptroll
24th May 2012, 05:14 PM
By the way, I've been looking into it without really any pertinent information, but is there any purposes for going Hardcore? I read NPC characters won't call you nephalem anymore since you are mortal, but that's it? There has to be some kind of Risk = Reward going on.

e-Peen / challenge mostly due to perma-death. Diablo II gave hardcore characters special titles when they beat the game on each difficulty level.

Capt.Toilet
24th May 2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/6904/article/diablo-iii-claims-its-first-real-world-victim-32-year-old-russell-shirley/

Crazy bastards

TWD
24th May 2012, 08:53 PM
Can't ****ing agree more.

EnemyDemon#4234: You will die and suffer! Threat #18949785
Player: .
*EnemyDemon#4234 was slain.*
Rinse repeat.

Cydaea is the most laughable boss in this game.

This comes back to the disappointment bit. At first I was like "oh you can do whatever you want to me". Then it turns out that she's just another ugly bitch ass spider. I already killed plenty of these, and I wasn't impressed with them either.

Sir_Brizz
24th May 2012, 09:04 PM
TWD has collected a mouth.

Rambowjo
24th May 2012, 09:19 PM
I agree. In Diablo II, you only hear from the bad guys when you fight them, like Diablo says "Not even death can save you from me", or something like that. That's a great line, and really all that is needed. They put the stories in the cinematics. The NPCs might have some things to say, but the demon won't have a dialogue with you, or talk to you while you fight his servants. Sure, it could be the gimmick of one single boss, kind of like Baal who laughes at you as you approach him in the Worldstone Keep, if you stand still for a bit. But when every boss does it, even the small ones, it gets boring, and you'd rather just have music play.

TWD
24th May 2012, 10:07 PM
On the split side I love the conversations with the NPC's in your party. I enjoy our conversations about life.

Sjosz
25th May 2012, 02:46 AM
Managed to get to Act 2 on Hell difficulty now, but I'm running headlong into a wall of kiting elite enemies for 5+ minutes to kill them. I need me some better gear.

Rambowjo
25th May 2012, 05:42 AM
Get on the auction house man. I got lucky and found a stupidly good crossbow in act I, but on the AH you can basically gear up to become a god. Just put a maximum on each piece. No reason to use more than 70k-80k on any piece.

Slainchild
25th May 2012, 09:08 AM
I've been avoiding buying OP gear from the auction house, except for gems (they are cheaper to buy there than craft yourself). Only times I've bought gear from the AH was because a specific piece of mine was under levelled. For example I was still using level 23 gloves at level 45 or so, and I wasn't finding many from drops... so, AH.

I want to do a mostly legit play-through to 60 :p

d3tox
25th May 2012, 09:30 AM
I've been avoiding buying OP gear from the auction house, except for gems (they are cheaper to buy there than craft yourself). Only times I've bought gear from the AH was because a specific piece of mine was under levelled. For example I was still using level 23 gloves at level 45 or so, and I wasn't finding many from drops... so, AH.

I want to do a mostly legit play-through to 60 :p

I've been forced into this due to the lack of good weapon drops for the witch dr. Found myself still using a 85 socketed weap @ lvl 52...

Sjosz
25th May 2012, 10:45 AM
Get on the auction house man. I got lucky and found a stupidly good crossbow in act I, but on the AH you can basically gear up to become a god. Just put a maximum on each piece. No reason to use more than 70k-80k on any piece.

So far though, I've not had that much gold at any one time. Been sinking all of it into upgrading the blacksmith and jeweler. I've started grinding a bit for gold to get enough money to buy some of the more expensive stuff on the auction house. It's not always very easy to find the right gear. Additionally, I think it's still mostly luck on my part, but I really am not sure what to spec my Wizard for gear-wise.

Slainchild
25th May 2012, 11:21 AM
So far though, I've not had that much gold at any one time. Been sinking all of it into upgrading the blacksmith and jeweler. I've started grinding a bit for gold to get enough money to buy some of the more expensive stuff on the auction house. It's not always very easy to find the right gear. Additionally, I think it's still mostly luck on my part, but I really am not sure what to spec my Wizard for gear-wise.

May help a bit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/u3fxw/for_those_still_leveling_or_having_difficulty/

Edit: I find that health and health regen is the biggest thing to look for. I'm level 53 Barb and progressing fairly well so far, I have around 20,000 HP and almost 5000 dps. I have a friend who is playing Witch Doctor at around the same level, and he has to run away from pretty much every encounter in Hell since he has only geared for DPS. All Int, no Vit means he has about 8000hp unbuffed, which seems crazy low to me.

Kantham
25th May 2012, 01:15 PM
Like I said earlier but no one likely read/care, crafting is pretty much useless, at least from the starting point. People will want to improve crafting in the later stage, I wouldn't even bother looting gold on Normal, because you get at least triple the gold from mostly everything on nightmare, I can't imagine inferno, then crafting becomes -possible-.

People below level 55-ish should only bother getting their equipment off the AH. And remember to use Square gems on your equipment.

shadow_dragon
25th May 2012, 01:25 PM
Like I said earlier but no one likely read/care, crafting is pretty much useless, at least from the starting point. People will want to improve crafting in the later stage, I wouldn't even bother looting gold on Normal, because you get at least triple the gold from mostly everything on nightmare, I can't imagine inferno, then crafting becomes -possible-.

People below level 55-ish should only bother getting their equipment off the AH. And remember to use Square gems on your equipment.

The blacksmith is 100% useless. Even bliiz employees have posted that the Blacksmith has been tuned poorly and is useless next to the AH where you can get everything cheaper and know what you're getting.

I think the Jeweler is worth dropping some cash on occasionally though.

Kantham
25th May 2012, 01:30 PM
Also, this is happening right now:

http://i.imgur.com/Uwp0X.jpg

I can understand why people wants to try Hardcore, but why would you join a HC public server? That's asking for it.

-----------------------------
EDIT:

The blacksmith is 100% useless. Even bliiz employees have posted that the Blacksmith has been tuned poorly and is useless next to the AH where you can get everything cheaper and know what you're getting.

I've always seen it like that, but I assumed crafting would become better at some end-game point.

Foolish to say the least, I feel bad for people trying to rank up blacksmithing. I dropped it at level 25-ish when I saw where it was going.

I'm guessing blizzard might re-vamp it. Hopefully they do, because it's a money sink.

Sjosz
25th May 2012, 02:00 PM
May help a bit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/u3fxw/for_those_still_leveling_or_having_difficulty/

Edit: I find that health and health regen is the biggest thing to look for. I'm level 53 Barb and progressing fairly well so far, I have around 20,000 HP and almost 5000 dps. I have a friend who is playing Witch Doctor at around the same level, and he has to run away from pretty much every encounter in Hell since he has only geared for DPS. All Int, no Vit means he has about 8000hp unbuffed, which seems crazy low to me.

That link's pretty helpful, thanks. :)
I'm sitting at 55 with 3.8k DPS and 17k health. I have a couple items that are probably a bit underleveled at the moment, but based on that article as well, I figured I'd do a little bit of Hell grinding to get some money and some good items to sell on the auction house. (so I went and got me a set of gear that increases magic find as much as possible)

Rambowjo
25th May 2012, 03:57 PM
In the early stages of the game I had around 80% magic find, but I wasted all the items on crafting. If I had sold them all, I'd be fairly rich now. Stupid.

Sjosz
25th May 2012, 05:51 PM
Actually, from what I get from the magic items, I thought I'd look for a set increasing Gold Find instead, which has been substantially better for getting quite a bit of gold fast. The full set cost me around 12k to get off the auction house, and has now already earned 30k or so back from better gold drops on 2 runs of the oasis area + its small dungeons in act 2 on Nightmare. The gear is worthless for a Hell run, but man is it bringing in some money.

Kantham
26th May 2012, 10:17 PM
Who else here started Hell with a friend right on level 50?

It's not impossible, but it's impossible to make a first contact with elites and NOT die once.
My experience is respawning constantly until you can end the bull****.

And AH is always lagged out.

EDIT: Upon testing alone, we both found out it was much more.. -possible-. Just because we match up together makes the game insanely more difficult. It was noticeable in previous difficulties, but that's a little overboard now..

Slainchild
28th May 2012, 09:30 AM
Got to level 60 last night, woot. Still need to clear the second part of Act 3 and all of Act 4 to unlock Inferno.

Went with a fairly safe "tank" build in the later areas, it got tough around mid Act 2 so I decided to go with more armor and switch up my skills some. Link if anyone is interested: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVSYRk!bVT!accZbb

I take way more hits and die way less often using that build, but it does take longer to take down some enemies. Going to work on getting my DPS up some with gear now.

edit:

http://i.imgur.com/FxIOZ.jpg

TWD
28th May 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't get the complaints on crafting. I actually thought it was MORE useful at the beginning. I'm now to the point where I need pages to go further so I don't know how good it is beyond that.

Only a few items will have a strong enough base to be better than what you find in the dungeon. The advantage though is that you'll be able to craft over and over. So you can keep rolling until you get the stats that you need.

shadow_dragon
28th May 2012, 01:51 PM
I don't get the complaints on crafting. I actually thought it was MORE useful at the beginning. I'm now to the point where I need pages to go further so I don't know how good it is beyond that.

Only a few items will have a strong enough base to be better than what you find in the dungeon. The advantage though is that you'll be able to craft over and over. So you can keep rolling until you get the stats that you need.

The problem is the costs outweigh the gain, which comes with heavy and obvious risk(random stats)
You can go on the AH and find exactly what you want without spending as much money. The BS costs an absolute fortune to make stuff.

He was pretty handy early on for me as he filled a couple of spots that I hadn't had non-common drops for but I only use him to salvage now and am saving the matts for when he is patched into cost-effectiveness.

Blizzard have posted an update on the incoming changes including the BS:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6018173
They're even altering the Jeweller a bit.

Sjosz
29th May 2012, 10:42 AM
Inferno tactics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

d3tox
29th May 2012, 11:37 AM
I just finished Act 2 of hell last night, and a lot of what I see here doesn't jive.

First of all, since all of the gear you loot is for characters 5-10 levels behind you, the AH seems to be the only way to find gear with the full capabilities of what you're able to use for your CURRENT level. This is especially true for venturing into hell. I noticed this first with a Demon Hunter I had started and leveled to 15. I had saved some good rares from my WD play thru for this character, and the moment I was able to equip them, I saw a HUGE difference. I had previously noted some inability to loot a weapon, and that had held me back. I purchased a knife on the AH that upped me from a 82 dps to a 315 dps for minimal gold. I am just starting to loot weapons around the 300 dps mark, and at my next level up, I'll be switching to a 525 dps I got off the market for 5k. That's quite a difference. IMO, hell difficulty FORCES you to buy from the AH. I hadn't used it prior to reaching hell difficulty, so I don't see it as necessary to get that far, but to progress any further, you will have to. Those elites and champions are just too hard to damage without getting that damage # way up.

I can understand the complaints on the crafting, but remember that Blizzard doesn't set the market on the AH. The guy who sells his 500 dps WD knives for 5k does. :D

EDIT: Btw, because of all of this, I am currently running 51% Gold find, and that number will be closer to 70% when I level next.

Slainchild
29th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Inferno tactics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

http://i.imgur.com/0bmn2.jpg

SlayerDragon
29th May 2012, 12:22 PM
:lol:

I really feel like they are going to nerf that Monk passive One With Everything. Sets all your resistances to the value of your highest resistance. You'll only ever have to collect one type of resistance. Pretty OP if you ask me. I expect they'll make it raise them all by a certain percentage of your highest one or something.

Kantham
30th May 2012, 07:30 PM
*picture*

That mere amount of gold laying on the ground describes well how everyone feels with this game right now. (Risk VS Reward Risk)

Sjosz
31st May 2012, 01:58 AM
That mere amount of gold laying on the ground describes well how everyone feels with this game right now. (Risk VS Reward Risk)

Not very accurate for Inferno, though. Average basic zombie drops 100+ gold for me without any Gold Find stat bonuses, and have already seen drops of 600+ gold between New Tristram and getting to the Old Tristram ruins to kill the Wretched Mother Queen.
Speaking of which, yay I reached Inferno!

d3tox
31st May 2012, 11:08 AM
Not very accurate for Inferno, though. Average basic zombie drops 100+ gold for me without any Gold Find stat bonuses, and have already seen drops of 600+ gold between New Tristram and getting to the Old Tristram ruins to kill the Wretched Mother Queen.
Speaking of which, yay I reached Inferno!

Agreed. Look for a combination of Vitality adders, and % Life adders. Health regen isnt as important IMO, but with a barb it might be.

I just hit act 4 of hell last nite, so I anticipate being in Inferno very soon, but with gold find gear and a healthy Nephalem Valor buff (150+% Gold find). I can get drops of 1000+ in hell difficulty. I made about 200K last nite alone. Can't wait to see the cash from inferno...

Slainchild
31st May 2012, 12:15 PM
Health regen isnt as important IMO, but with a barb it might be.
Barb has plenty of skills that regen life, but you still want some on gear -- life on hit weapons for example.

Just beat the Skeleton King on Inferno. :D

Sjosz
31st May 2012, 02:20 PM
Agreed. Look for a combination of Vitality adders, and % Life adders. Health regen isnt as important IMO, but with a barb it might be.

I just hit act 4 of hell last nite, so I anticipate being in Inferno very soon, but with gold find gear and a healthy Nephalem Valor buff (150+% Gold find). I can get drops of 1000+ in hell difficulty. I made about 200K last nite alone. Can't wait to see the cash from inferno...

The thing is, the gold finding gear I have is not nearly as powerful as my actual set of gear to progress, and you're fooling yourself if you think you can go through Inferno using less than ideal gear. It does really not allow you to make any mistakes. Even at 52% armor damage reduction and 50% damage reduction on all resistances I take 4-10k damage depending on the type of enemy, that is stuff I've seen up and including saving Deckard Cain in the Cathedral.

I will agree though, using gold find spec'd gear in combination with Nephalem Valor (hitting 152% extra gold find, and 146% extra magic find) is a fantastic way on Hell to get lots of money in very little time.

Kantham
1st Jun 2012, 04:15 PM
SC, you're playing as the Asylum Witch correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdO0rBVFHm0

d3tox
2nd Jun 2012, 11:55 AM
The thing is, the gold finding gear I have is not nearly as powerful as my actual set of gear to progress, and you're fooling yourself if you think you can go through Inferno using less than ideal gear. It does really not allow you to make any mistakes. Even at 52% armor damage reduction and 50% damage reduction on all resistances I take 4-10k damage depending on the type of enemy, that is stuff I've seen up and including saving Deckard Cain in the Cathedral.

I will agree though, using gold find spec'd gear in combination with Nephalem Valor (hitting 152% extra gold find, and 146% extra magic find) is a fantastic way on Hell to get lots of money in very little time.

I actually was able to stack 5 solo and roll thru most of act with my gold find gear this morning. Just cuz its gold find doesn't mean it's inferior.

That being said I did a little experimenting, and I need to completely switch directions on my gear. Health regen is absolutely a god send for the WD due to the passive that lets pets take full advantage of health regen and thorns. Pets actually last. I still need to get some cash for a better weap and some jewelry for this... Thankfully its cheap as hell right now :D

Slainchild
2nd Jun 2012, 02:43 PM
SC, you're playing as the Asylum Witch correct?

Barbarian..

TWD
4th Jun 2012, 10:32 PM
My wife is playing as a Wizzard/Sorceress and as soon as she got to Act II she started getting slaughtered. She just doesn't click fast enough to get away from the enemies. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

BillyBadAss
4th Jun 2012, 11:24 PM
My wife is playing as a Wizzard/Sorceress and as soon as she got to Act II she started getting slaughtered. She just doesn't click fast enough to get away from the enemies. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Get faster at clicking I think will do it.

Sjosz
4th Jun 2012, 11:54 PM

Make sure that the wizard's gear is primarily for Intelligence and Vitality. If low on health (800 HP or less) look into getting more Vitality based gear. Likewise, if DPS seems low, find ways to increase that, like a new weapon, or new gear with Attack Speed% or Intelligence.

Additionally, since it's a wizard, start using one of the armor powers. It will increase your armor rating by 65%, which should improve your damage mitigation by quite a bit.

That, and start relying on hit and run tactics a bit more. Personally, I roll with Energy Armor, Diamond Armor (for really scary scrapes), Hydra (so that you still have damage output while enemies), and Magic Weapon to increase DPS. See if that works. :)

d3tox
7th Jun 2012, 08:41 AM
So I finally beat the Butcher on Inferno. I proceeded to Act 2, where even the small children in the streets of Caldeum can 2 hit me into oblivion... WTF... I went back to farming Act 1 lol.

Has anyone actually progressed into Act 2 of Inferno yet?

Slainchild
7th Jun 2012, 09:06 AM
So I finally beat the Butcher on Inferno. I proceeded to Act 2, where even the small children in the streets of Caldeum can 2 hit me into oblivion... WTF... I went back to farming Act 1 lol.

Has anyone actually progressed into Act 2 of Inferno yet?

Sjosz and I played it the other night, we got as far as killing Maghda. To get there however, we had to run away from a lot of the champion packs and lure them away from chokepoints. It's doable but it wasn't easy in the slightest.

The changes mentioned here sound good, might wait until they go live before trying to get any further into Inferno. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog

Sjosz
7th Jun 2012, 11:10 AM
Sjosz and I played it the other night, we got as far as killing Maghda. To get there however, we had to run away from a lot of the champion packs and lure them away from chokepoints. It's doable but it wasn't easy in the slightest.

The changes mentioned here sound good, might wait until they go live before trying to get any further into Inferno. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog

To be honest our playthrough to Maghda was ridiculous. Plenty of challenges and things to be done while waiting for 1.03, which sounds promising as far as updates go. Gives me time to get the staff of herding, and maybe gear up a little more. Seems that 1.03 is also going to make getting worthwhile loot ingame more likely, so that's good.