UE2 - UT2kX Unrealed uses 50% of CPU!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Wait a second, let me just come by and check what kind of cpu you even have and what you were doing in the program when it utilized 50% of it... Cool a beer for me, would you? I'll be right over.
You can tell me if 50% is too little or too much then too. We'll figure this out!

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
It's always at 50%. It starts when I double-click on the Editor and start it, it goes to 50%. If you need my CPU details, I will give it to you shortly.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
Also, when I try to import a animated mesh into the editor, the simple one's import quickly. When I import something from 3ds max 2012 actorx exporter (with a bip skeleton) the editor never loads this. Is is something to do with the CPU or just the mesh?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I have been investigating a similar issue with Ued 2.
On my main setup, it is using a lot of context switching, and eats 50%
It seems to be an issue with my sound setup, rather than me having an AMD. I have checked 5 intel PCs and they all do the same, but not as high (They are mostly Realtek sound chips).
I think it may actually be My ATI graphics card, not liking being used on an nForce 2 motherboard with onboard sound.

Ued3 works fine on the same setup, with no CPU overhead !

A quick test
Try editing the UT2004.ini and switching the audio in the editors section to "UseAudio=False".
If that helps, try a different sound card (my next step), or see if newer MoBo chipset or soundcard drivers are available.

The program "Process Explorer" by "Sysinternals" www.sysinternals.com is able to show you the "Threads" working inside Ued. Use that to help you.

The only "help" I have been given so far on this is "get a faster PC", and thankfully 1 reply for a % reading from other peoples PCs.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3877&start=0

NOTE. Our problem is similar but may not be the same.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
It seems to be an issue with my sound setup, rather than me having an AMD. I have checked 5 intel PCs and they all do the same, but not as high (They are mostly Realtek sound chips).

Yeah I do actually have a Realtek sound driver.

Try editing the UT2004.ini and switching the audio in the editors section to "UseAudio=False".

It's actually UseSound in my UT2004.ini file. That didn't help either. I think it may be my Realtek sound driver. My computer's memory is also around 2 gB. But thanks, I may need a faster PC!

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I've found the Realtek audio to be quite good generally.
If disabling the audio layer in the editor did not make any difference then you can rule-out your audio as the problem.

Always check the Realtek home page for monthly driver updates though, if you have any concerns.
Also always make sure your "MoBo" chipset drivers are up-to-date.

Also as Murphy point's out, check you have not left the editor in preview mode.

As I said earlier, looking at the task threads with "Process Explorer" may reveal the problem (or where to look)

NOTE. depending on how the CPU is being misused as you actually use the editor, sometimes the priority of the bad thread is lower than the threads you are using, so will claim the CPU cycles back.
So no real major performance loss, just annoying.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
I have always had my preview mode off (real-time mode) but I don't think it's the issue. I already had process explorer but as I was checking the threads there wasn't anything odd-looking value there.