UE3 - UT3 I need another program to create static meshes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

guitarxe

Dec 8, 2010
Hi,

I've been using UT3-ed for a while and I've been making some nice things with BSP. I'm actually quite proud of a few castles I've made. But I want to create static meshes. I'm assuming this is done in another program? I think I've heard of Blender that's used for 3d modelling, but then there are things like 3DS Max, Maya, Mudbox... I'm confused what is used for what?

I want to make static meshes, create UV maps for them, and import them into UT3Ed. I can create materials from inside UT3Ed later. So which program is good for that? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
For starters I would try using the meshes that come with the editor. If those aren't enough for you you can make meshes with blender (open source) or either maya/3dsmax (both expensive). Mudbox is a sculpting tool that you can use to refine your meshes.

guitarxe

Dec 8, 2010
Ah, perfect, that explains it.

Yeah, I've been mixing the local meshes for a while to create amalgamations of shapes that I want, but it's very crude, and applying custom textures to them is... well, quite a challenge.

So I figured, hey why not try making my own. I mean I don't expect to run Blender for the first time and BOOM! Perfect meshes! Nah, I just want a few very basic custom meshes to apply custom textures to.

See, I've got this crazy idea for a small 3v3 CTF map set to the setting of WC2. It'll be a Gold Mine as the base for each side, then a small section of terrain outside. Not sure yet what I'm gonna do for Trees/Mushrooms to encircle the map, yet. That many Speed Trees will eat even my powerful computer alive. I'm thinking a few at the forefront and fill the rest with Shrubbery meshes.

So yeah, I just want to custom make the entrance to the mine, and that can be inserted into the rocks from the game to finish it.