PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake for PC??

Jacks:Revenge
19th Feb 2012, 06:12 PM
they decided to wait 2 freakin' years, but Alan Wake has dropped for the PC this week and I'm thinking about picking it up. but I never even got the chance to try it on 360 because none of my friends had it and I didn't bother renting it. I remember a lot of hype surrounding its gameplay and visuals but just didn't get around to looking into it.

I'm sure someone here has.
I've heard it described as Myst but with action.

can anyone elaborate?

Capt.Toilet
19th Feb 2012, 06:30 PM
I liken it to more Max Payne(writing) with some Silent hill thrown in. There is a reason why I started playing it at 6am and didn't stop till around noonish, it really sucks you in with the atmosphere. Finding the hidden manuscripts adds that much more to the story and are kinda essential in my opinion. The game is not a run and gun, you will learn to conserve what ammo you have, and when to either fight that group of baddies or leg it to the nearest light source.

19th Feb 2012, 06:32 PM
yeah I keep coming across the phrase "fight with light" which I can only assume means there's some kind of nightmare zombies running around this otherwise idyllic looking town.

they're not actual zombies are they?

SirYawnalot
19th Feb 2012, 07:48 PM
How's the gameplay when fighting breaks out? Max Payne features one of the most entertaining gunplay dynamics I've played; I know Alan Wake isn't so excessive with its shooting, but is it reasonably satisfying when it occurs?

19th Feb 2012, 08:55 PM
well there's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0G2_t16WY

but I'm more interested in knowing the action to adventure ratio lol.
like, in the overall game how much of your time is spent exploring and doing puzzles and how much is spent in some type of combat?

Capt.Toilet
19th Feb 2012, 09:11 PM
well there's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0G2_t16WY

but I'm more interested in knowing the action to adventure ratio lol.
like, in the overall game how much of your time is spent exploring and doing puzzles and how much is spent in some type of combat?

I am on episode 4 at the moment and I have seen very little in the way of puzzle solving. It is all about the story, getting yourself immersed in the atomsphere. It is very linear, though you will go slightly off the path to find hidden supply caches, manuscripts, or other various collectables. When combat happens, like I said certain parts will have you thinking twice about whether or not you should fight, or risk running to that light source. As for the enemies, they aren't zombies but saying much more would ruin it.

dragonfliet
19th Feb 2012, 09:39 PM
It's a decent game. I borrowed it from a friend and I'm glad I did. The writing is decent, but completely ****ing stupid. The gameplay is solid, but gets a little tired by the end. Oh, and don't bother collecting thermoses. Damn that was stupid.

Sjosz
19th Feb 2012, 10:34 PM
It's not really a puzzle solving game. There's some very, very mild move object X to location Y to form a platform in one or 2 spots, but beyond that it's mostly finding your way through the areas. There's a good deal of combat, and also a period of time during most chapters where there isn't any combat, but just a bit of exploration/talking to people. It definitely gets a lot more combat heavy towards the end of the game. (and sadly a tiny bit to its detriment)
Still a very atmospheric and enjoyable game though. And yes, forget about those thermoses, they were annoying to find in some cases.

Slainchild
19th Feb 2012, 10:55 PM
Definitely a game worth playing through once. The extra DLC episodes are good too (free with the Steam copy until 23rd).

Plumb_Drumb
19th Feb 2012, 11:51 PM
Definitely a game worth playing through once. The extra DLC episodes are good too (free with the Steam copy until 23rd).

Actually, the DLC you are referring to is the art book, soundtrack and developer commentary.
The episodes come with the game regardless.

Slainchild
20th Feb 2012, 12:16 AM
Actually, the DLC you are referring to is the art book, soundtrack and developer commentary.
The episodes come with the game regardless.

Cool.

edit: Soundtrack is great, btw.

NRG
20th Feb 2012, 01:05 AM
+1 for the Max Payne feel, you'll definitely recognize it's Remedy from the dialog and writing. I enjoyed it a lot though and I'll admit it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value because it isn't sandbox like it was originally intended to be as a PC exclusive. It surely isn't as linear as the office hallways of a game like FEAR or anything.

Like Toilet said, if you can get into it you'll definitely be enjoying it.

Al
21st Feb 2012, 10:08 AM
http://kotaku.com/5886605/alan-wakes-pc-version-pays-for-itself-in-48-hours

Plumb_Drumb
21st Feb 2012, 10:41 AM
http://kotaku.com/5886605/alan-wakes-pc-version-pays-for-itself-in-48-hours

And a thank you!
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7943

I should be getting a copy this week. I'd like to get on the CE deal but, I'm not sure I can do 30 bucks within the next two days.

hogsy
21st Feb 2012, 12:30 PM
they decided to wait 2 freakin' years

It was Microsoft that decided that it would be an Xbox 360 exclusive. I imagine the deal had finally expired which is why it's coming to PC now ;)

21st Feb 2012, 04:01 PM
well here's hoping that the success of the Alan Wake PC port gives Rockstar the idea to port over Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead just SCREAMS to be on PC.
sometimes I still can't believe that it's console only. soooooo much untapped potential.

Al
21st Feb 2012, 04:20 PM
I want that and the Demon's/Dark Souls games.

Plumb_Drumb
21st Feb 2012, 04:50 PM
Alan Wake was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get an Xbox360.
The rest are lower budgeted titles/arcade releases.

Now, with Sony's console, there are quite a bit more hitters I'd like to play, in addition to some of their smaller, currently exclusive, network titles.

hal
21st Feb 2012, 04:54 PM
well here's hoping that the success of the Alan Wake PC port gives Rockstar the idea to port over Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead just SCREAMS to be on PC.
sometimes I still can't believe that it's console only. soooooo much untapped potential.

Want that

HugoMarques
21st Feb 2012, 10:14 PM
Ahem... GOW 2 and 3?

21st Feb 2012, 11:30 PM
what does GoW have to do with anything?

I don't get it.

HugoMarques
22nd Feb 2012, 12:09 AM
Well, Epic let PC GOW 1 players down when they decided to make the following games in the franchise a 360 exclusive... something...