Just reinstalled Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Hey guys! So after a few years of on and off UT3, I decided to quit on that buggy POS and reinstall this old classic, my favorite of the series. I was wondering if someone could help with with a few questions please.

My copy isn't GOTY so after installing the game, I installed the 436 patch. I then installed the new OpenGL 3.7, and now my games runs and looks amazing! (120hz reresh rate monitor helps)

So my questions are: If I install the "Extreme End S3TC textures" on my game, will I still be able to play online?

Are there any crucial map packs/bonus packs I need!?

More importantly, Is the online community of the original UT still alive? or as dead as UT3?

and if it is alive, could you please recommend some servers that are running the default maps and weapons for any of the gametypes available?

Thank You! I haven't played this game in over 8 years, but i'd like to get back into it, especially CTF!

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
I just put together a package last night of all the latest "High End" not "Extreme" S3TC textures that Diehard has released as of 09-25-11. I wrote up a quick little readme of how I installed them. I then went online to several of the servers where I used to have problems with skating players and bots and frozen animations and all of the old problems S3TC textures used to suffer from. Everything tested out perfectly on my first run.

I used a different OpenGL Renderer than you did. I'm writing up a process that will allow people to make a single download of all of the textures, install them, change to a special OpenGL renderer, save their old one and old textures just in case they need to back out of the install after a failure. If your system can handle the extreme textures than I don't see why you can't use them but there is a special way to install them per Diehard.

Install UT Standard Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4. Don't touch Bonus Pack #2. Just trust me.

Sorry I can't suggest any basic servers but some folks will soon I'm sure. 95% of all of the original UT players are gone now. You will still come across many old folks here and everywhere but nothing like what you may remember. I hope I have helped at least a little. Welcome back to one of the best games ever!

Last edited:

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Hello Hermskii! You have been extremely helpful! Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying the S3TC textures now that I know they won't prevent me from playing online. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to connect to servers. Speaking of which, I did a bit of research, and I was going to try these: http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Downloads/Textures/ExtremeEnd/StockUT/UTExtremeEnd.htm I believe they are also up to date (sept25,2011) Worth a look?

Also, I'll take your advice about the bonus packs, but do you mind explaining why the second one is a "no go"?

Anyway, thank you again for the help and the warm welcome back :) I played a few bot matches and so many memories came rushing back! As much as I did enjoy UT3 (when it worked lol) the original reallyis the best in the series.

By the way, I tried just for fun connecting a to a few servers that were running the standard maps, and I couldn't connect to a single one. The first one crashed on me with an error, and the other servers complained that I didn't have the necessary mods installed. Any place where I could get a pack or something of currently used mods and maps by UT players? That would be a huge help! I'll look around too.

Thank you again!

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Hello again Wunderbar_007. I will be working hard tonight I hope but I have some priorities to take care of first. I'll be happy to help you all the way through the best I can. Bonus Pack #2 has a file in it called "de" that nobody uses on their servers because everyone uses the original one that came in the game. If you install it and try to connect to a server you'll get a file mismatch error and you won't be able to join. This is the only bonus pack that causes this issue. About the mods. Hmmm? I'd have to connect to the same servers to help you. I'll line up with you and we'll get your issues worked out. Dang! I haven't helped out anybody in a pretty long time now that I think about it. I used to do this all of the time. No problem. It will be fun.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Probably UT3, maybe 2004. I played a lot of the original years ago but it was only offline. With UT2004 I began going online but I didn't really like that game. UT3 I only played online but it crashed and gave the duplicate login error soo often, I decided to return to UT. It also seems to have more players :)

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
have a link to that?

... and i'd like to play some 4 way CTF, I've still got UT installed but don't ever play it nowadays :(

Sure thing, here you go:
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Look under the "Latest Newz" heading.

I then used (copy pasted) these into my Unreal Tournament:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/General/Website/Forums/Forums01/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=718

Hope this helps man! Anyway, I can definitely live without S3CT. Like I said, the game already looks phenomenal and smooth. My main goal is to really find some online action with preferably "vanilla" or "close to" setting. CTF would be fantastic.

Also, darkmedor, I went for OpenGL because i read that D3D9 may still have some issues or something. Thanks for your help though :)