PDA

View Full Version : Dishonored

Vaskadar
8th Aug 2011, 02:21 PM
Part steampunk, victorian era craziness, and a bit of half-life's Combine thrown in there make up the general art style of this game, recently revealed at QuakeCon 2011.

Dishonored (http://www.gameinformer.com/p/dishonored.aspx)

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Dishonored-game-bethesda-screenshot-570x364.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110803161425/dishonoredvideogame/images/c/c2/Untitled20.jpg
Theme is interesting, but I don't know how it will play out.

Lruce Bee
9th Aug 2011, 02:11 AM
They're talking up this game a lot and it did make an interesting read yesterday.
It's promising a lot but I'll believe it when I see it.

Plumb_Drumb
9th Aug 2011, 02:45 AM
what does it do, man, what does it do?

Sorry, maybe I should make it easier for the publisher:
"How does it not **** up, man, how does it not **** up?"

Lruce Bee
22nd Apr 2012, 05:56 AM
Well, here's the full video trailer to the game and I must say, it looks absolutely awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IyDvT7XpaBc#!

dragonfliet
22nd Apr 2012, 08:05 AM
Dear Bethesda,

Your prisoner fetish has become pretty blatant. You may want to tone it down juuuust a smidge.

Vaskadar
22nd Apr 2012, 02:10 PM
Dear Dragonfliet, published by Bethesda.

Regards,
Vaskadar

Jacks:Revenge
22nd Apr 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't care for cinematic, pre-rendered trailers.
in fact I actually kind of despise them in general.

show me real gameplay footage or don't bother showing anything.

Vaskadar
22nd Apr 2012, 04:56 PM
While it may have been a CG trailer, it showcased some of the basic concepts present in the game. I'm sure some of it would be up to speculation (such as first person parkour), most CG trailers do provide some idea as to what mechanics or features are in the game. Take a look at the screenshots in the OP. First person perspective is very likely the route they are taking, as well as integrated first-person melee combat. Hopefully they do capture the feel of swinging blades appropriately.

I'm interested to see how its development cycle comes along, as I'm sure that the screenshots in the OP were pretty early on, they also had some hideous aliasing going on.

22nd Apr 2012, 05:29 PM
just wake me up when there's an actual gameplay trailer...

SleepyHe4d
25th Apr 2012, 04:00 PM
just wake me up when there's an actual gameplay trailer...

What are your thoughts on prerendered cinematics in game to tell parts of the story?

Balton
25th Apr 2012, 07:04 PM
What are your thoughts on prerendered cinematics in game to tell parts of the story?

it's bad if it becomes final fantasy like ;)

Vaskadar
26th Apr 2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/steam-and-dishonored/729524

In-game footage. Non-gameplay, but at least it's in the engine. I'm loving the style of the game.

26th Apr 2012, 05:24 PM
that's obviously fine.
but that's different than what I'm getting at.

I have nothing against cutscenes. this is about trailers.
if you are previewing an upcoming game to its potential audience then please use actual gameplay footage because prerendered cinema doesn't tell me anything. and it doesn't really show me anything.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/steam-and-dishonored/729524

now see this is a much better start.
at least we're actually seeing the product. it's not gameplay yet but it's ingame.

dragonfliet
26th Apr 2012, 11:38 PM
Okay, I'm a lot more interested:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/26/dishonored-preview-3/

Sir_Brizz
27th Apr 2012, 01:37 AM
Absolutely love the style. I just hope they don't ruin it in execution like Hunted.

Vaskadar
27th Jun 2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/6f3l88/dishonored-e3-2012--first-take
A fair bit more of Dishonored's gameplay. It looks fun.

Vaskadar
6th Aug 2012, 08:16 PM
http://youtu.be/BJFLCmehPss
This game is quickly climbing up on my wanted list.

Vaskadar
8th Oct 2012, 01:01 AM
Some reviews are rolling out from major sites. They're recommending it and I've bought it. Pre-load has finished and I'm pretty psyched about the game. Knowing myself, I'll take the time the first time around to get really immersed in the game.

8th Oct 2012, 01:11 AM
let us know how it plays.
or if it plays half as good as it looks.

I'm eager to pull the trigger on a digital download.

ambershee
8th Oct 2012, 05:22 AM
I tried it at Eurogamer and wasn't overly impressed. I found that the powers in the demo were far too OTT, and as such the game lacked any kind of challenge whatsoever.

UBerserker
8th Oct 2012, 07:19 AM
I tried it at Eurogamer and wasn't overly impressed. I found that the powers in the demo were far too OTT, and as such the game lacked any kind of challenge whatsoever.

I also read in some previews that players did not understand where the hell they had to go unless you used a bit of your brain and pretending this isn't a CoD style linear corridor-after-corridor game

Reviews say the game is pretty non-linear and there are a lot of paths to take, may check this out

Mozi
8th Oct 2012, 12:25 PM
I met up with Harvey at E3 this year and got to play the game and it was awesome. Glad to see Harvey and his team working on an old school game where you have the freedom to solve the mission any way you want to. Granted the man has his background from Deus Ex and System Shock I can see why the game is the way it is and not shoot everything that moves COD style.

Hopefully the first locked door in the game has the code of 0451 classic calling card of ex-looking glass devs.

Sir_Brizz
8th Oct 2012, 04:59 PM
I've read three reviews and preloaded this bad boy. It looks like it might be a sleeper hit judging by the reviews. It's not all about the gameplay, it sounds like it actually has an engaging story where the RPG elements add to the experience. Supposedly you can finish the entire game without using any special powers.

Twisted Metal
10th Oct 2012, 09:26 PM
Wow, this looks pretty damn good. I'll bite.

For anyone interested, it's 25% off @ GMG for two more days:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dishonored-na/
Promo code: GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN

Capt.Toilet
10th Oct 2012, 09:49 PM
Be warned the game can be beaten in 4 hours if you are a mental. Take your time and explore every possible outcome and you can double that length. The game also encourages at least 2 playthroughs depending on if you went stealth or Hulk.

Sir_Brizz
10th Oct 2012, 10:21 PM
It seems to me that you can beat the game in 4 hours by intentionally not enjoying any of it at all. Since you can run past most encounters, just keep running as fast as you can. Why even bother to play video games if you play like this...

Twisted Metal
10th Oct 2012, 10:53 PM
Ugghhh I hope I get at least 6 hours out of it.

No excuse for a $60 game to be that short.

Raynor.Z
11th Oct 2012, 12:14 AM
Good reading regarding game length:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-10-lost-humanity-16-size-doesnt-matter

Slainchild
11th Oct 2012, 08:22 PM
Played around 6 hours so far, and I just started the third mission. :rolleyes:

DarkED
12th Oct 2012, 02:00 AM
It's pretty awesome so far. I've read that the heavy-steampunk setting was inspired by victorian-era London. In any case, the setting is really incredible and I feel like more games should take place in settings like this. I also like how the environment textures have a sort of watercolor or oil painting look to them; it's almost like playing a cel-shaded game like Borderlands, but without the cel-shading that makes it look like something you'd see on Cartoon Network.

The gameplay isn't bad so far. The whole 'dual wield blades and pistols' thing is kind of odd, but it seems to work. I haven't used the crossbow yet.

I started out trying to go full non-lethal but that went out the window pretty quick. The guards are pretty good at spotting you in Dishonored. So now, I just try to be as non-lethal as I can.

It seems to me that you can beat the game in 4 hours by intentionally not enjoying any of it at all. Since you can run past most encounters, just keep running as fast as you can. Why even bother to play video games if you play like this...

Pretty much my take on it. I'm not even through the sewers yet and I've already put in a solid two hours. I like to take my time.

Capt.Toilet
12th Oct 2012, 07:33 AM
I started out trying to go full non-lethal but that went out the window pretty quick. The guards are pretty good at spotting you in Dishonored. So now, I just try to be as non-lethal as I can.

I was watching TotalBiscuits WTF is on the game and when he got spotted he simply had to phase to an area that was higher than the guard to escape his vision :lol:

Guards apparently are bad at looking up.

Sir_Brizz
12th Oct 2012, 12:08 PM
Sometimes they are god like at noticing you. Other times you stand right in front of them and they are clueless.

-Jes-
14th Oct 2012, 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LIL2-eAhE

.. Yeah.

NRG
14th Oct 2012, 06:28 AM
Welp, I literally just got to that mission. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that...

Twisted Metal
14th Oct 2012, 04:55 PM
I've spent about an hour just playing around with severed heads. It's hilarious how people react when you carry them around, and then they scream when you hurl it at them. :lol:

Thrash123
14th Oct 2012, 10:18 PM
Freaking love this game. It's so easy to get sucked in when playing it. I'm going semi-non-lethal at the moment; had a hard time at the beginning, but I'm getting the hang of it. Protip: Upgrade Blink before anything else. If a guard spots me, I just blink off to some insane location and wait it out. Also upgrade your sleeping darts to combat darts, in case you can't blink away. I haven't touched the gun at all. I just use crossbow, a little sword here and there, and strangle most of my enemies. I'm eliminating the targets the indirect way and doing all the side quests. Mostly because I HATE rats (except for possession purposes). The packs of em' seriously put a thorn in my side when I have to be on the ground sneaking.

What powers is everybody relying on? I live and breathe blink, but I also use Possession and Slow Time here and there. I also picked up Agility, for when I screw up my blinks (which happens on occasion; aiming can be difficult).

Vaskadar
14th Oct 2012, 11:06 PM
Dark Vision and its upgrade. Possession. Blink and its upgrade. Agility, and that's really all I need to be sneaky as far as powers go. I got a high chaos playthrough the first time around. I may go for a low chaos playthrough.

NRG
15th Oct 2012, 06:39 AM
Agility, Blink and Dark Vision is all you need if you're sticking to non-lethal stealth. I'm almost done with the game and I've only added two other abilities and instantly regretted it considering they use so much mana. I have ten runes waiting to be used but I don't even care because I wont even use the other powers if I want to stay non-lethal.

So far I've done every mission (except the first) without alerting or killing anyone. I almost always make it my goal to knock everyone out, one by one, without being seen. Even though I could easily just sneak by everyone. Also, Dark Vision isn't really necessary, it just saves time by not needing to lean around corners.

I'll probably play a second time around and just murder the hell out of everyone. And to see how much of a difference it really has at the end of the game.

Psychomorph
15th Oct 2012, 12:58 PM
I was quite bored with it. Perhaps Thief spoiled me way too much.

Manticore
15th Apr 2013, 05:10 PM
I decided to buy this half price on Steam last weekend as it has a pedigree of good names behind it's development and I'm a big fan of exploring virtual environments. The steam punk angle attracted me as well and I've seen a lot o positive reviews on this in the past six months.

I'm sure you can beat this game in super quick time but, if you explore every level and all the different routes to an objective (and stuff you can find) it will probably take a bit longer. I'm still on the first real mission and it must be four hours in.

Stealth only seems to take you so far though. It has me interested enough to keep playing it although the Dunwich Trials DLC looks like a bit of a fail (I didn't bother buying that).

New DLC drops this week with a more extensive plot line.

barballs
15th Apr 2013, 05:28 PM
Yeah sposedly about the assassins. Could be fun. I did enjoy that game.

Manticore
15th Apr 2013, 05:57 PM
:lol: That's Dunwall Trials. Sorry about that.

At the moment I'm on a roof in the Distillery and had to put the game down last night... I was pretty sucked in.

The new DLC looks pretty good and, if the game keeps me interested, I can see myself picking it up.

UBerserker
15th Apr 2013, 06:05 PM
I'd recommend finishing the main game before getting the new DLC for story reasons.

Also
The last level itself, other than the ending, becomes different depending on your kill count

Manticore
15th Apr 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Much appreciated. I like a good story. :tup:

Sir_Brizz
15th Apr 2013, 06:38 PM
I need to get back to this game. I stopped playing right after getting to the pub and haven't played again. Freaking Borderlands 2...

Manticore
15th Apr 2013, 06:50 PM
I sort of like the way this game is becoming more and more politically incorrect... in a sort of correct way.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/178868112/sea_sheperd_logo_wallpaper_by_neatstuff86-d2yhrio.jpg

I am waiting for the BL2 discount to hit.

Manticore
26th Apr 2013, 05:49 PM
I'd recommend finishing the main game before getting the new DLC for story reasons.

Also
The last level itself, other than the ending, becomes different depending on your kill countWell; I totally see what you mean about finishing the first chapter before getting into the DLC ( and the story does move like a work of fiction).

I usually hate stealth games but there was a good mix of stealth and aggressive play in this game to keep me sucked in. (I could have used a few more sleep darts here and there).

I was a bit worried that the game would be too short but it kept giving until quite a satisfying ending (in a Bioshock sort of way)

I do think there is some replay value when I've forgotten some of the details about the levels. The world and story are really immersive.

It effectively sucked me in so I bought the Knife of Dunwall DLC and I'm looking forward to the releasing the final chapter DLC (probably sometime in the second half of this year).

Al
29th Apr 2013, 09:31 AM
I need to get back to this game. I stopped playing right after getting to the pub and haven't played again. Freaking Borderlands 2...

I stopped because you're not supposed to kill anyone. And I heard if you do, you get a ****ty ending. That sucks. On to other games for now.

[edit] I know someone will say, well it's a stealth game. That's cool and all, but what if someone sees you? Do you have to reload the checkpoint and start again? I haven't noticed a way to not kill when you're seen.

UBerserker
29th Apr 2013, 09:45 AM
I stopped because you're not supposed to kill anyone. And I heard if you do, you get a ****ty ending. That sucks. On to other games for now.

Actually that ending is much better (including the level itself), unless you screw up something in the real final part.

Got the newest DLC, the alternate version of the Blink skill is some cool ****

Al
29th Apr 2013, 09:55 AM
****ty ending here I come!

UBerserker
29th Apr 2013, 10:48 AM
[edit] I know someone will say, well it's a stealth game. That's cool and all, but what if someone sees you? Do you have to reload the checkpoint and start again? I haven't noticed a way to not kill when you're seen.

Ending only depends from your kill count (your Chaos level). Don't exactly remember if some side-quest requires the player not being seen at all.
Best way to escape is to blink out of the way and leave those enemies scratching their heads. There's a certain mission where the enemies almost do the same thing to you, though.

Besides, none of the endings are anything special
it's just about the final level which becomes a lot different (visuals, gameplay, dialogues and encounters)

Also did anybody notice the Thief easter egg?

Al
29th Apr 2013, 11:31 AM
Ending only depends from your kill count (your Chaos level).

Yeah, I'd rather kill them all, but I don't want a bad ending.

Unless you can still knock them out when you're seen and they're attacking you. From what I've seen, you can only kill them then. Which is crap. I'd be happy to be wrong.

UBerserker
29th Apr 2013, 12:22 PM
Nah, once they see you, you either kill them or use the Blink skill (the teleport) to move somewhere where they can't reach you, then wait until everything goes back to normal - however enemy patrols will slightly change, most of the times for the worst.
The low-chaos ending doesn't exactly require 0 kills, mind you. I killed around 20+ enemies and I could still get the good/not-chaotic ending.

The tallboys, those guards using the robo-walker things, cannot be taken down throughout non-lethal ways, which sucks.

Manticore
1st May 2013, 06:32 PM
The Knife of Dunwall DLC was too short in my opinion. I only took me a couple of nights to play though and it seemed to end just as it was getting interesting.

Hence the second DLC instalment which will probably drop in the second half of the year. I hope DLC 2 has more to it..........

Manticore
13th Aug 2013, 09:56 PM
The Brigmore Witches DLC has dropped..........