Serious Sam Takes a Jab at Origin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Dest...r-mocks-origin-allies-with-steam-207388.phtml
"I think we could have revolutionized how I make a shitload of money," said CFO Fork Parker. "But the reality is Steam is an amazing digital platform. That’s where we want to distribute our top-tier titles like Serious Sam 3: BFE to generate the kind of revenue it takes to buy things like velvet-covered jet skis. Holy crap, did I just invent those?

"I guess consumers could also sign-up for EA’s Origin service if they are into 10-year-old train simulators. But you can be sure those sons of bitches will never deliver in-game nachos."
:lol:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The game was on my first day buy list, now it is on my must have now goddamnit just release it now list after seeing this :lol:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
That's not even revolutionary, as ridiculous as it sounds. I remember Guild Wars being advertised as pretty much exactly that. Except it was 39.99, iirc.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I pretty much ignored Sam when it first came out, but after seeing what they're doing with Sam 3 I was intrigued. Finally grabbing the HD pack in the Steam summer sale and giving Sam 1 a try I was convinced. These guys deserve my money.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
So, basically, "BS, EA's doing it for the money and Origin will suck. Steam is great."

Not that I don't doubt Origin will (read: already does) blow hard. (possible account deletion after inactivity ololol)
But seriously, you'd think these guys knew EA. It's ALWAYS been about the cash.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So, basically, "BS, EA's doing it for the money and Origin will suck. Steam is great."

Not that I don't doubt Origin will (read: already does) blow hard. (possible account deletion after inactivity ololol)
It was for the lulz, though.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

You know it doesn't surprise me someone would take what they did seriously. You do not deserve to be in Sam's presence.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Wait, wut?

Rumors abound that EA will shit all over your account if it goes inactive for around a year or something. There is also the rumor going around that you will have to repurchase origin titles after one year in order to keep them. If any of that turns out to be true, then EA better be ready for the onslaught of hundreds of pissed off nerds.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Yea, went digging after that post.
Turns out there's a section of the user agreement saying EA can terminate an account if left inactive for 2 years and probably will wipe out any purchases made on said account

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
About the only thing I find "depressing" is once again one fo the most devastating weapons known to man(aka shotgun) isn't worth jack sh*t
I believe most combat rounds are double-ought buckshot, which is 8 8.4mm pellets. That's probably enough to rip a hole in your chest and the chest of the guy behind you

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Who in the motherfucking god makes a video with low texture quality and lag? The old videos look stunningly better than this.

Also is there any original source from where this video came out? I can't find it. And there are only hands-on by websites such as Rock, Paper and Shotgun and all of them were really happy. Not to mention the quality of the shots were insanely better.

Mmh I think that video is a fake.

EDIT: the video apparently shows an alpha of BFE, waaay older than anything shown at E3. Confirmed by a Croteam dude.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpiLLPWaN0&feature=related[/M]

This video gives the graphics a bit more justice but really I can't help but be nagged by a few things.

1. So few enemies on the screen. Is it being played on easy? Later in the vid a few bombers show up and it has that classic "oh shit" feeling, but again it doesn't last as long as you would think.
2. Iron sites still pisses me off. This is not CoD.
3. Why does Serious Sam need a toggle for run? He should be set to always run to give it that run and gun feeling.
4. Their better be an explanation as to why he has to reload nearly every gun. Reloading his 6 shooters was fine, but the other guns never needed reloading before.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I only know that everything is played on Easy and that several guns need to be reloaded and many other not.

Also there's no Sniper Rifle-type of weapon, and that's the reason why they added iron sights to few weapons.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I only know that everything is played on Easy and that several guns need to be reloaded and many other not.

Also there's no Sniper Rifle-type of weapon, and that's the reason why they added iron sights to few weapons.

Well if that is a fact then I feel a bit better knowing that. Granted these are annoyances that I can easily get around, after all I slogged through SS2 twice and still found it fun :)