UE1 - UT Is A High Quality Masked Canvas Texture Possible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rajada

Jan 21, 2008
rajada.tumblr.com
Say for example I have a rifle scope and I want to draw a texture that covers the entire screen, but has a circular, masked hole in the center. Even at really high drawscales it seems my texture gets reduced to fit the canvas and looks extremely bad masked. Is there any way to make a masked canvas texture extremely high detailed so my mask edges don't look like a game of Tetris?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You have to account for too many screen sizes for this to be appropriate. The sniper scope texture is very small actually.
It works a lot like webpage design. You use small gradient masked textures and stack them in a row to achieve effects across a screen. Look at Dane's HUDnSB to see how he did his gradient, it may be close to what you want.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
What the total conversion UT mod Infiltration did was to use several 256x256 textures (each with a different piece of the scope view) the draw the scope view. So basically make a 800x600 sniper view, and then break it up into 256x256 tiles and then have the canvas draw each one (edges handled by playing with the draw coordinates passed into drawtile)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
1024x768 is exactly 4x3 textures, which is what UT uses for its "desktop" background image. Next-larger screen resolution that fits perfectly is 1280x1024/5x4, Full HD (1920x1080) would be 7.5x4.21875, i.e. 8x5 tiles. If your tiles are symmetric, you can obviously create the mask for the rest of the screen by duplicating and mirroring tiles as you draw them.

Rajada

Jan 21, 2008
rajada.tumblr.com
Ah, perfect, I worked out the math within like 5 minutes and the test worked perfectly. However, my image itself is lacking, so I suppose its back to Photoshop to make something a bit more involved.

While I plan to use this as a sniper scope in the future, for this test I managed to overlay more of a 'spacesuit' kind of effect and a secondary modulated layer for some glass. It looked pretty nice, thanks guys.