Decent FPS

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
What's a decent first person shooter these days?

I really don't like Black OPS, the spawn system sucks and Hardcore kills seem kinda weird (I can't explain it).

Anyway, anything that's a good PC FPS that has a decent amount of players even free ones that'll work on Win7?

Thanks

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Sadly, I'm largely inclined to agree with the above. The last FPSs I played a lot were UT3 and CoD4 - both of which had their respective issues.

I did play Battlefield 1943 an awful lot on the 360, but the PC port was cancelled :(

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
come to think of it, I haven't played a really good FPS in a long time it seems. recently the FPS genre has quite literally been a river of poop. it all pretty much looks and sounds the same. it's been one awful, cookie-cutter, wannabe modern warfare shooter after another.

the FPS market is utterly diluted the last couple years.
all of my favorite games of late have been third-person RPG's, action/adventure, and real time strategy. and there's been some decent racing games (ala Test Drive Unlimited 2).

but yeah, it's an extremely weak time for FPS.
I would be hard pressed to say that personally, there hasn't been a good FPS since Fallout New Vegas. and even that is a total rehash of Fallout 3 with just some new guns, enemies, and locations.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
There is one good thing about having a glut of bad games... gives you a chance to check out some classics you might've missed.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Best bets are probably Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2. You might also try a free-to-download-and-play melee style FPS called Savage 2.

Sadly, the entire FPS genre seems to have been killed by consolization.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TF2 is pretty awful as a competitive shooter. There are too many non-gameplay cruft all over the place, and getting certain weapons that, frankly, are not well balanced even if you want them to be so bad for completing achievements.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Only as a back-up weapon. It doesn't really take away from anything in terms of gameplay, as the shotgun really is just a back-up weapon.
Backup weapon or not, they could have gone with some variety instead of just shotguns
In MNC they have 6 different classes and there's no sharing of weapons. Each class has something unique