UE3 - UDK Kismet Action- Making an actor 'jump?'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BusDriver

Mar 18, 2011
For some time now, I've been working on making a small side-scrolling game. I have been trying to set it up so that when the player presses a certain switch, an actor 'jumps' up into the air a little bit. No bouncing needed, no horizontal movement, just straight up vertical along the Z axis, and then have the Unreal Engine's gravity kick in.

Right now I have set it up so that when the player presses the switch, the *only* thing that happens is that the actor's velocity along the Z axis goes up about 500. Yet, when the button is pressed, nothing happens. I did some more testing, and it turns out the jump button *does* work, but only when the actor is falling.

I would include a screen shot of my current kismet set-up, but the only thing relating to my issue is the 'set velocity' node, which is linked directly to the input; completely separate from the rest of the kismet nodes/links.

Any help would be appreciated... I've been trying to get this to work for some time, but to no avail.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
There are 2 potential solutions to your problem.
1: Make the 'jump' a scripted movement using Matinee.
2: Add a Force Actor (either radial or line), placing it under the actor that needs to 'jump' (which should be a kActor for this to work). Then adjust the radius and power of the Force actor, and then trigger that actor to fire as part of your lever pulling sequence.