UE3 - UT3 Flapping flags/banners

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

guitarxe

Dec 8, 2010
So I found a flag that's supposed to having an animation that it's flapping in the wind. It's SK_UN_Flag under the UN_Flags package. I've seen this flag in some map, but cannot remember what map it was.

Adding this flag to the map doesn't play any animation, so I've looked through it's properties and found most of them to be empty. Fiddling with it, I think that so far I've gotten half way to setting it up correctly. If I manually adjust the "CurrentTime" value under AnimNodeSequence the flag moves, but I can't get it to play and loop the animation on its own.

Below is a screen of the properties window
Boxed in Yellow is where I have made changes. Before, it was just "None"
Boxed in Red are the fields that I don't know what to add​
Boxed in Green is the CurrentTime that I was talking about​

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/guitar_xe/flagprob.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Question:
1. Do you know of any maps that have a flapping flag or banner, so I can open it up and take a look.
2. If not, are there any tutorials that could help me?
3. If not, what should go into the fields that are boxed in Red, and is there anything else that is required to make the flag play its flapping animation?

4. Not very important at the moment, but how do I adjust the flag to display team colour?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this, and thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I have never used a flag, but looking at a friends map that's being built, it looks as though he has the same settings (in the screen shot). I wonder if it's an issue with your game settings? Maybe it won't display moving flags?

For the team color, there is a red and blue flag material. Just add a Material slot (Properties > SkeletalMeshActor> SkeletalMeshComponent > Rendering > Materials (select the green plus button to the right). Assign one of them to that slot. Repeat on other side of the map.

guitarxe

Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I don't know what it is that prevents the flags from playing the animation in the editor, but when published and played through the actual game the flag is flapping no problem.

Thanks a lot!