Demo Manager not playing demos

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I'm using version 3.3. It's saying that all the downloaded files are installed, but when I'm trying to play a demo it just stays on connecting. It plays my newer ones fine the one I had on my old comp it doesn't seem to play. Is there a way to get them working again?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
It will only play the ones of the same version that it recorded. To play the other ones you will have to find out what version it was used to record those demos and install that version to play them. Thats one of the biggest disadvantage of demomanager :hmm:

UT has its own engine for demo recording and demomanager runs a custom one. Sometimes demomanager can play the demos made with the UT engine one. It is kinda like a mismatch when it isnt able to play another demo.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
Oops misunderstood. Crap, don't remember which version I used I think it was 451 i'll reinstall another UT directory and try it out.

Last edited:

AnthraX

Aug 3, 2005
Ghent (Belgium)
It will only play the ones of the same version that it recorded. To play the other ones you will have to find out what version it was used to record those demos and install that version to play them. Thats one of the biggest disadvantage of demomanager :hmm:

UT has its own engine for demo recording and demomanager runs a custom one. Sometimes demomanager can play the demos made with the UT engine one. It is kinda like a mismatch when it isnt able to play another demo.

Technically, you can play demos if your client can reconstruct the package/objectmap of the demorecorder's client. In reality this means that demos recorded by people using v432, v436, v440 and v451 can be played by anyone using v432-v451b. Demos recorded by people using v451b can only be played by people using v451b. The actual demo recording engine doesn't matter. Demo Manager needs to be registered as a demo recording engine to make some of its demo playback features work but under the hood it's still using the regular Engine Demorecorder for the actual recording.

I've been toying around with an experimental fix for this problem but it's not really worth it. The only solutions I can see are:
1) Have demomanager store extra meta information when it records a demo (full packagemaps and objectmaps). This would come down to an additional file of ~100Kb that needs to be stored for every demo (and read by demomanager when opening the demo for playback).
2) Have demomanager store every package in the packagemap for every demo (this would require 100+Mb extra for every demo).

Both solutions would require demomanager to hook into the actual recording process (which isn't happening right now). Moreover, solution 1 isn't garantueed to work (although in most cases it would). In my current development version, demo manager just shows a popup if your client is incompatible with the demo you're trying to play.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I finally got around to install another UT directory with 451b since at the time I was using that. When I play the demo it installed the necessarily files, but when I click it again it says my demo has outdated files and MAY result in semi-corrupt playback click no to automatically play the demo. Once I click no nothing happens. If I click yes it just says the files installed correctly and nothing happens. Am I out of luck?