Another recommend me headphones thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
These forums are slowly dying anyways. :)()

I currently have the Sony MDR-V700s and I like them, but I've grown to hate how poorly they perform with complexity/acoustics/vocals/etc. The only reason I haven't replaced them is because they're the only pair I have ever owned with deep, rich bass and have never blown out from listening too loudly. Yeah, I'm a somewhat deaf bastard, but even I have to turn them up to unbearable volumes to even begin to distort the bass and I love them for that. But, now they're getting to the point where I have to rape my bass and EQ levels to get the same punch they used to have. The cushions have also become rather flat which makes them quite uncomfortable for long sessions. On top of it all, they're starting to physically fall apart. So, a replacement is starting to look necessary.

I've been looking at the AKG K240s and they certainly appear to be fantastic for the price, but their biggest criticism seems to be not having very strong bass. Same with the Sennheiser HD5xx series. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 seem to match my needs, but are pushing my poor ass budget. I peeked at Beyer Dynamics for bass, but most of them seem to run on OMH levels that my soundcard wont really put out for. Most of them are out of my budget anyways. My friend has Sennheiser HD280s and while the bass is good, they didn't seem like much of an upgrade over my Sonys. I'd certainly like to try Grado, but those cushions certainly wont last and I doubt I'll get the bass I want without going to their expensive pairs.

TLDR; Suggest entry-level audiophile headphones for roughly $100 with emphasis on phat bass... dawg.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Everyone answer NRG's post first so I don't look bad! :p

Don't wanna hijack, but I'll offer up some on topic convo. (and ninja hijack anyways) ;)

I've been looking for a new pair too since my Sennheiser's ear piece broke off. What I've been looking for is different from what you're looking for though so this probably won't be any help to you. I basically want something with good sound for gaming and music but also a mic and closed speakers so noise doesn't leak. One thing I can't decide on is around ear or over ear, but I've really been looking at over ear because around ear doesn't really go well with my glasses. What do you guys think of these options:

For around ear my eyes were on these:

For on ear I couldn't decide between these two, because I might wanna sacrifice the mic for better sound quality, I wonder how much of a difference these two have:

Anyone else have any ideas for closed on ear headphones with a possible mic? Sennheiser doesn't really have a big selection for closed speakers/on ear/mic combos. :(

Edit: Hey, what do ya know, the 228s say "Explosive bass for dance and hip-hop" and there's these that say "Powerful, bass-driven stereo sound" I guess take that stuff with a kilo of salt. :p

These say stuff about bass too, for $120.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
For fun you should get Skull Candy Skullcrushers. They feature a second driver in each ear that focuses just on ultra low frequencies. The headphones literally vibrate on your head, and produce the same sort of rumble you'd expect from a car subwoofer. Still the effect is mostly just for entertainment. It is by no means audiophile quality.

It's hard to get really hard bass without muddling everything up. Case in point: Beats by Dr Dre. When I was at CES I listened to a set of Fanny Wang headphones. They target the same color as the Beats do, but they are a lot more crisp. Basically they are what the Beats should have been. I think you would like the sound, but they are a little above your price range ($160). Of course, that's always the story with headphones. They're always just a little bit more than what your budget is :(. Anything else I know of that really has rich sub is more than that.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
[PC 350 pic]

These say stuff about bass too, for $120.[/URL]
My friend has the PC 360X set. I liked them a lot but they're definitely not for me. While they're certainly clear and accurate, they don't feel very... dynamic. They also didn't seem quite worth the price.

But yeah, I forgot about the new HD4xx headphones. I feel like if I'm going to pay the price for 438 or 448, I may as well buy the HD555s.
Denon. Pick a model you can afford.
I like Denon AV receivers, but I've never tried any of their headphones before. They're probably nice, but the others feel like a much safer route. Most of them look like they have been reverse-engineered...

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Related question: how long have everyones $75+ headphones lasted? My headphones (cost was around $60) are three years old. Only thing that has broken is the connector. Some corrosion and tough dirt which completely breaks the sound (unless plugged only halfway through). Any ideas how to clean it properly? The connector is gold plated.

Also, how much does a "good" PCI soundcard cost? I've seen prices range from $50 to $120 on the known brands (Creative and such). Currently running on an integrated card so what are the main pros on buying a dedicated soundcard (other than possibly better connectivity)?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I got those for my birthday and they are quite comfortable (Much more than my old ones that were 60$.)
However, the bass is a little unsatisfactory IMO (Compared to those 60$ ones it's really not that good.) For music listening I wouldn't recommend fully, but for gaming it's all right as the microphone is really good (Compared to those 60$, much better.)

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Anyone got experiences with Creative's headphones? I saw a headset (Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha) with okay-ish specs at a local store, cost was $50 or so (compared to over $100 as the normal price): http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-Tactic3D-Alpha/M/B0041OQKIC.htm

I read some customer reviews and everyone seemed to like them and thought the price was very good for this quality. Only cons I heard of were bulky size and comfortability when lying on bed or something...

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Also, how much does a "good" PCI soundcard cost? I've seen prices range from $50 to $120 on the known brands (Creative and such). Currently running on an integrated card so what are the main pros on buying a dedicated soundcard (other than possibly better connectivity)?

That's a ****ing good question that I want to know too, I have the best Creative sound card, but I have no idea if it's even worth it. Half the time I'm plugging my headphones into the front ports on the PC anyways which means I'm not even using the sound card, and I hear no difference in sound quality. :hmm:

I got those for my birthday and they are quite comfortable (Much more than my old ones that were 60$.)
However, the bass is a little unsatisfactory IMO (Compared to those 60$ ones it's really not that good.) For music listening I wouldn't recommend fully, but for gaming it's all right as the microphone is really good (Compared to those 60$, much better.)

Damn, if that's true I should just stick with the $100ish on-ear headphones they offer. Thanks.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
How long your headphones last is completely up to you. Even 30 buck headphones will last you years if you treat them perfectly. It all depends on how careful you are with the cord, and how you take them on and off. For me the extra build quality is all about peace of mind. It's just nice knowing that you don't have to fret so much about it. This is essential in a DJ headphone. That way you can focus on the music, and not on caring for your headphones.