Processor Thermal Trip

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Okay, so I'm waiting on some compound to come in, so I'm currently on my backup comp at the moment. Is there any quick fixes for a lack thereof? I had just recently installed my 650 Watt Power supply, and my new GTS 460, but one problem remains: I don't have compound for my processor. The stock compound that came with the stock heatsink is all dried up and is really of no use to me now.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
All thermal paste does is allow for an efficient transfer of heat between processor and heatsink.

Things I have seen in 20+ years that actually work... JB Weld & Super glue. Unfortunately both of thes make a rather permament bond between the 2 objects.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Basically, when I boot it up, windows does not launch, instead, the processor activates the thermal trip and it shuts down, and cannot be reactivated.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Powering a pc on with no thermal paste between your CPU and cooler isn't the smartest of things. If it gets too hot you risk the albeit small chance of damaging it. Wait untill you can get some TIM to put on it.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I ordered Noctua Thermal Compound... it should arrive monday or tuesday. 2-day shipping.

Good thing is though: there's an auto-shutdown feature if the processor gets to a certain point, but past that point, it may suffer damage.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I ordered Noctua Thermal Compound... it should arrive monday or tuesday. 2-day shipping.

Good thing is though: there's an auto-shutdown feature if the processor gets to a certain point, but past that point, it may suffer damage.
Arctic Silver 5 is the best there is. There's only a few that come close or beat it and they're all more expensive.

Like Crazy mentioned, it's a really bad idea to run your computer till the shutdown temperature is reached. That threshold is often the temperature that marks permanent damage is bound to happen, it doesn't mean damage is not possible beforehand.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Arctic Silver 5, it's so good it will actually sex you up when you aren't looking.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
All 3.5 grams of it?

Thread hijack:

Anyway I got some Arctic Silver 5 to use after I reflow my PS3's mainboard, since it's the first time I'm gonna be doing this any tips on applying thermal paste?
I already cleaned off the old one with isopropyl alcohol, I will have to clean the processors again because I touched them afterward. That's all I know apart from the fact that you don't need a lot of paste between the heatsink and the processor. What's the best method to apply it? Line, dots, credit card or no credit card...

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Thread hijack:

Anyway I got some Arctic Silver 5 to use after I reflow my PS3's mainboard, since it's the first time I'm gonna be doing this any tips on applying thermal paste?
I already cleaned off the old one with isopropyl alcohol, I will have to clean the processors again because I touched them afterward. That's all I know apart from the fact that you don't need a lot of paste between the heatsink and the processor. What's the best method to apply it? Line, dots, credit card or no credit card...

Most simple way is to put a rice-sized grain on the middle and smear it around with a piece of plastic (ie, put your finger in a grocery bag). to get an even, thin coat. You can use any other method if you want, or you can even get away with putting a drop on and letting the weight of the heatsink distribute the paste for you, really, but I go with the smear with plastic method.

~jason

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It actually had a glob on the bottom. Being the technologically inexperienced dolt that I am, I may have scrubbed off a pinch of it, so now I'm just going to wait till tomorrow's shipment comes in before getting back to working on it. Of course, I'll have to pick up some rubbing alcohol to remove the dried gunk on the bottom safely. The Noctua Thermal Compound has high density, so it should spread pretty well.

Here's the product page Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound