installing ut4mod files in windows 7?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
I have Windows 7 64-bit and I recently installed my old fav UT2k4 in it. The game plays fine but I am unable to install any .ut4mod files even after associating them with the UT2004 setup.exe I remember that in XP you had to add a new file type and specify as ../setup.exe install "%1". But I don't know how to do that in Windows 7. Going to file types does not seem to offer adding of new parameters.
I would appreciate any useful suggestions in this regard.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Try patching it again. Most of the time, if you install any mods, it will screw up the setup file and it won't launch at all. Repatching the game will fix this.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Not for the UT4MOD file association. Oh, and there's another related bug: The Megapack installer garbles the [UT2004] Version= entry in Manifest.ini - change it to 3369 or install the standalone patch to fix that. (I suppose that's what you meant, Arnox.)

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
The Megapack installer garbles the [UT2004] Version= entry in Manifest.ini - change it to 3369 or install the standalone patch to fix that. (I suppose that's what you meant, Arnox.)
I think so. I was also talking about other mods that can garble up the version number when installed as well but whatever. :\

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
UT2kx Regcheck didn't work for me in the sense that the clicking on the "insert" button only gives an error message.
UTmod.jpg

What worked was a roundabout technique of copying the mod file into the ut2k4 system folder, then going into command prompt and asking to "setup install [modname]"

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
All you need is:
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ut4mod]
@="UT2004.Module"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UT2004.Module]
@="UT2004 Module"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UT2004.Module\DefaultIcon]
@="G:\\UT2004\\Help\\Unreal.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UT2004.Module\Shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UT2004.Module\Shell\open]
@="&Install this UT2004 module"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UT2004.Module\Shell\open\command]
@="G:\\UT2004\\System\\Setup.exe install \"%1\""

Make .reg file, put this in to, duble click and done...

Somtimes (read - everytime) Win7 needs compatybility, try with Vista or XP or/and 'Run this program as an administrator' in properties 'Setup.exe '.
Wait... No needed, it work.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I don't trust a program with '...Check's' in the name. When he ask me my CDkey, network conection or my email adress...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
They ask them because that's what they use to reregister the game so you could play it without installing it, not because they are going to steal it. If you're paranoid, you can simply stop the connection to the internet while you enter it.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
1. Quesiton is not about trust, but what can you do yourself...
2. Maby youre right... When i see discutions like that... On this forum you can find few people who locking for help and few who can give this help - all others is 'Off Topick'.

Last edited:

jimdav

flak cannon + minigun = FRAGS!!!
Mar 18, 2011
NZ
(Yes I know I'm a bit late) I have a problem with the .ut4mod extension as well. it's not that it doesn't know what to open it with, it just doesn't do anything when I try to open it. I'm using Windows 7 now, and its the first time I tried to open a .ut4mod on it. If I look at task manager when I open it, the proccess setup.exe comes up for about half a second, then crashes. I don't know what to do because every tool fixes the registry and not enything else. It could be compatibility, or I may have to run as admin, but because it is not a .exe I can't do either of those.