UE2 - UT2kX Question about AI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Donvermicelli

Nov 15, 2010
Hey there, I'm sort of new to unreal scripting and before I attempt a pretty large project I would like to know if it is possible to combine unrealscript with a database. The goal is to have a bot learn from other players and store his 'learned patterns' in a database so that the next time he loads he has learned new ways to play.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
hmm, this question has been asked before, but in a more general way (can unrealscript interact with other "code/program/entities"?).

I believe the answer is yes, though it is limited to what you can do using an InternetLink (TCP or UDP). See this page or search this forum for UDPLink or TCPLink.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
There are also ways to save data through other means. You can store the values of config vars, and there are hacky workarounds that allow arbitrary file read/write if you know the filename.

Shadow_knight

Carpe diem!
Jan 29, 2008
Prague
You can also use Pogamut platform (http://pogamut.cuni.cz). It is a middleware that enables to control the UT2004 bots through simple API that uses Sockets in UT2004. The advantage is that your code your bots in Java - no problem to add any database or etc. The disadvantage is that you don't have direct control of the bot, but you have to use the defined API.

I would say that the question is what do you want to do. If you want to create your own UT2004 mod with better AI, then Pogamut is not a good choice. But if you want to do some example AI based on UT2004 that uses database then yes, Pogamut can be used. There was already someone who used it to create a bot with database - more info here: http://aigamedev.com/open/articles/sqlite-bot/

best,
sk