Think I've just created the ultimate movement system for UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
It's truly awesome, it's fast, it's insane and you have a **** load of control(maybe too much).

Think I'm gonna sleep on this just to make sure my opinion doesn't change when I try it again tomorrow. Could be the excitement of putting something together that actually does exactly like I want.

If you like slow limited movement and easy to hit targets, you'll despise it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What exactly did you change? Surely that would give us a better idea of what we think of it :p

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I think I can tell right off the bat that the mut you're talking about will make it almost impossible to hit anyone, thus not being very fun.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Just upload it and get it over with so we can hate it and berate you for it already ;)

K start the hating...

JumpJettingBeta2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/go7w91

I took "UT2004's variables", recreated it's jumping/dodging/rules and mixed it together with my Jumpjet mutator.

You basically have full control over the following:
Height
Airtime
Distance

The jumping rules:
Jump-> JumpBoost
Dodge -> JumpBoost
Jump->JumpBoost -> WallDodge
Jump->WallDodge - > JumpBoost

Something fun to do is to run up to an enemy, dodge to their side, turn around and jumpboost backwards flying in true Max Payne style and frag em from the air, then drop to the ground.
I found the lower dodge height and increased dodge speed to work way better with the "jumpjets" than with what I had previously. The movement is now more dynamic, not restricted by a single jump value anymore.

@Arnox no idea, the only way to find out would be if two highly skilled players went at it. I can only play against bots (basically sitting duck).
Just don't know where the "limit" is.

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Just a few thoughts:
Won't really have problems with the movement being too fast, UT3 already runs at 110% so it wouldn't hurt setting the games-peed to 0.9. It would have the added benefit of making powerups slightly easier to time since it they would be 30seconds instead of 27.

I've already expanded the classes of every weapon in UT3 so I could always tweak the projectles if it should be needed.

The main thing making people easy/hard to hit though is predictability. I can already see the difficulty in predicting someones movement with this.

Anyways, there's a lot I can still improve, so I'm gonna go work on that a little. Will have to wait until I find someone decent to play with before I can truly see what needs to be tweak/changed.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 would be better if it was identical to UT2004 in every way.

*combs green hair*

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Has anyone actually tested this out though to see if it works well? I'd do it myself but I uninstalled UT3 in favor of Ballistic Weapons. :D

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Has anyone actually tested this out though to see if it works well? I'd do it myself but I uninstalled UT3 in favor of Ballistic Weapons. :D

Nope, don't think so.

Made one that's slightly configurable via the UTJumpJetting.ini
JumpJettingBeta3
http://www.mediafire.com/?7jbr21v1drtvuk9

Code:
[JumpJetting.NewPawn]
FirstJumpBoost=0
DoubleJumpBoost=-45
DodgeJumpBoost=-20
JJ_DoubleJumpThresHold=1000
JJ_DodgeSpeed=730
JJ_DodgeSpeedZ=230
JJ_JumpZ=380
JJ_GroundSpeed=462

[JumpJetting.NewInteraction]
AntiGravityBoost=0.4

Also added two console commands ingame

JJJumps 0 -45 -20

Does basically the following:
Code:
FirstJumpBoost=0
DoubleJumpBoost=-45
DodgeJumpBoost=-20

and

JJDodging 730 230

Does the following:
Code:
JJ_DodgeSpeed=730
JJ_DodgeSpeedZ=230

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Not really. Ut3 movement is fine the way it is.
Could be better and I have a few ideas how to improve on it a little. For instance. One of my main ideas is keeping the default jump as is and changing only the double jump to give you more dynamic height and slightly more airtime. Kinda like U2XMP, but with actual control.

The second is seperating the wall dodge from the normal dodge. Give a faster more useful ground dodge like in UT2004, but keep the wall dodge the same as in UT3. UT2004 walldodge throws you to quick to the ground.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
JumpJettingBeta4
http://www.mediafire.com/?jq9h98g3pbsz8yc

^^ Ok, if I had to create the movement system for UT4, this would be pretty close to it.

Also added an alternative boostjump for when you try to double jump under the doublejumpthreshold. It's kinda like a quick glide.

Enough experimenting for now though, gonna have to concentrate fully on exams now...
So I'm putting this on hold.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
I'm missing something fundamental here..
What exactly makes quake3 and UT99's movement fun?

I'm missing that "something"