UT2004 Mouse smoothing and acceleration help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Hi everyone, I know UT2004 is almost a 7 year old game, so I should know the answer to this question...but I don't. :eek:

Can someone tell me what Mouse Smoothing and Mouse Acceleration Threshold actually do for your mouse movement etc. I'm trying to tweak my mouse and I want to know how I can use these settings to my advantage.

For the record, these are my current settings: :) (but these came from a friend)

Mouse Sens: 0.85
Mouse Smoothing: 0.30
Mouse Accel/Thresh: 0.30

I actually want to increase my ingame sensitivity to about 0.90 to 1.00, but I'd like to educate myself on the settings so I know what I'm doing. ;)

A huge thank you to anyone that can answer my questions or offer any kind of help.

Thanks, Prozac :):):)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, smoothing makes your mouse less sensitive when you idle and more sensitive when you turn around. Personally I've noticed that at least the default settings are pretty worthless, since it only lowers the sensitivity when you don't move for a long time, that is, at the start of the match and that's pretty much it. Not sure what this setting changes, though - I guess it doesn't hurt to try setting to a high and to a low value and see what happens.
I'd think that acceleration means sensitivity in game, and "sensitivity" is in the menus.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Mouse acceleration means if you move it faster the cursor moves faster than it does if you move the mouse over the same distance but slower. The Threshold probably means that this behavior only kicks in if you exceed a certain speed.
So you can play without mouse acceleration during normal gameplay, but if you want to turn around real fast the acceleration kicks in and helps you with that. I have no idea what the values mean or what units they use, so you'll have to do some testing and experiment what kind of threshold (if any) you want.

Mouse smoothing means that your mouse input is averaged over the last couple of frames. This makes the mouse move less erratically. If you have a stable framerate and a reasonably good mouse and a surface/mousepad that isn't sticky I think you can safely disable this completely.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just set mouse acceleration and smoothing to 0.0 and work with the sensitivity.:)

>> In UT2004 Settings Input page:
- nothing checked
- mouse sensitivity (game) 3.00
- mouse sensitivity (menus) 1.25
- mouse smoothing strength 0.00
- mouse acceleration threshold 0.00
- dodge double-click time 0.25

>> I have a Logitech MX518 mouse with Setpoint pointer speed in the middle and Setpoint pointer acceleration set to none.

>> Control Panel/Mouse advanced settings:
- 200 sample rate
- assume wheel is present
- 300 packets
- fast initialization

Hope this helps!:)

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Here's pretty much everything you need to know.

1) Turn off mouse smoothing and acceleration.

Both of those make software (UT2004 in the first case, your operating system in the second) fudge with how cursor movement is translated from physical movement. With smoothing and acceleration enabled you can never develop muscle memory -- which is where good aim comes from -- because the distance the cursor moves from a given hand motion is entirely dependent on the speed at which your hand moved. This is bad. Seriously bad. Turn them off now.

2) Set your operating system's mouse speed to whatever makes it right in the middle. For Windows that's the 6/11 setting.

This will help ensure the operating system isn't messing with mouse movement interpolation similar to acceleration.

3) Go into your mouse's driver configuration panel and adjust the settings there until the mouse is comfortable on the desktop. Again, keep any sort of acceleration disabled.

If you can adjust the USB polling rate, set it to 250 or 500 Hz. 1000 is excessive. If your mouse is too cheap to have its own drivers and config panel at all then you shouldn't be worrying about being good at video games anyhow. :]

3.1) Ignore DPI settings. DPI is a near-meaningless stat used to sell the latest "ground-breaking" tech to unknowing sheep.

What really matters is the accuracy and speed of the mouse's polling hardware and software engine, and you'll have to do your own research to figure those out since it won't likely be right on the box like DPI will. Set the DPI high or low or default -- it doesn't matter as long as it's over 400. Just keep it comfortable.

4) Avoid enabling v-sync since it causes mouse lag.

It doesn't literally cause the mouse to lag. Instead, it effectively makes you see slightly old data when the game renders to your screen. This makes the cursor feel like it's lagging behind what your hand is doing (i.e. lagging). People will say you can enable triple buffering in your video card's settings to alleviate this lag, but back when I cared about gaming it didn't seem to matter -- v-sync with double or triple buffering both caused lag for me. That may be untrue now given how fast cards have gotten but I don't know. I do know that I've never gamed with v-sync enabled.

5) Ignore all reports of sensitivity numbers from everyone (including me).

The numbers mean nothing. Literally nothing. There are too many variables for them to have meaning. Your mouse's DPI, the mouse driver's speed settings, your operating system speed settings, etc. all play a part in how the cursor movement is translated from mouse to screen.

What you need in order to compare sensitivities with others, then, are measurements of horizontal 360s. Mark where your mouse is, spin 360 degrees in-game, mark where the mouse ends up. This distance will tell you the most about your sensitivity and give you a real-world value for comparison with others.

Back in my own little heyday I was using roughly 9"/360. At my slowest it was around 12 or 13. Toward the end of my UT days and into my CoD days it was about 6". Lower distance equals higher sensitivity, obviously.

6) Do whatever's most comfortable.

Generally speaking, low sensitivity means more precision at range but puts you at a disadvantage up close as you can't spin around to deal with nearby threats. The opposite is true for higher sensitivity -- easy spinning, less precise at range. Obviously, something in the middle will be a little of both. Find what you like and leave it.

Note: This is why mouse acceleration seems good in theory. But it's indeed just theory. In practice, acceleration will end up hurting you more in the long run. Period. Keep that sh*t off.

But it doesn't matter if you go high or low or middle so long as you make it work for you. Some great players have theirs set low; other great players have theirs set high. All that matters is you find something comfortable and stick with it so you can develop muscle memory.

7) Bump the hell out of this thread so I don't feel like I wasted my time.

Oh, hey, 2:00am. Fancy seeing you again.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Bump

Thanks a million T2A for logging in and posting this generous reply. I know it took you a while and for that I thank you!

Your friend, Prozac :)