This game has huge potential

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stas

Oct 18, 2005
I dont understand why this game did not go mainstream!!!
As a competitive player who played all sort of games (cs, cod, wow, dota now starcraft2) this game is reallly a good game. Something failed in the release and marketing phase and if another ut is to be made it must take big ground in the fps arena (on pc plzzz). You know, i believe there is 2 type of fps the cod/cs style and the ut/quake/tf style and in the second type ut is clearly a superior game (and i played all of them) but it failed somehow.

I really hope one day a new UT will come out and it will be a big hit...

stas

Oct 18, 2005
no srsly do u think i would register on a unknown forum for a humour fail...

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
>wartouristo
>this has potential

I lol'd
'Sup Jeff?

I know this isn't actually Jeff Morris

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I dont understand why this game did not go mainstream!!! ...

errmmm what?

It did, it just didn't reach the level of popularity of it's predicessor's. This was due to many failing points. The big 3 IMO...

1. Hardware. Many of it's target audience lacked the hardware to play it. Many still do.
2. Mod community. Epic seriously underestimated how important the mod cummunity is to an unreal games success. It is much more difficult to make maps and custom content for it thus many people jumped ship early. Though it still has a very active mod community in proportion to previous UT's it pales. The UDK help here but not enough as it also pulled some UT3 modders away.
3. Variation of content out of the box. The default content of the previous 2 iterations was probably twice UT3's I don't remember about UT99 as I started DLing custom stuff instantly. People got board left the game haven't came back.

Epic also lost allot of it's fanbase b4 UT3 came out when they found out GOW was to be the new engine flagship and it was to be an xbox exclusive. Not a UT game as was done with the previous engines, as it is afterall called Unreal Engine (in this case 3) and Gears of War is not an Unreal game.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
[GU]elmur_fud;2465222 said:
3. Variation of content out of the box. The default content of the previous 2 iterations was probably twice UT3's I don't remember about UT99 as I started DLing custom stuff instantly. People got board left the game haven't came back.

Vanilla UT1 has quite the same amount of content. UT2k4 is just UT2k3 + Bonus Packs + more stuff. You can't blame UT3 for this. UT3 professional custom maps are incredibly awesome, on the other hand.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Vanilla UT1 has quite the same amount of content. UT2k4 is just UT2k3 + Bonus Packs + more stuff. You can't blame UT3 for this. UT3 professional custom maps are incredibly awesome, on the other hand.

By "The big 3 IMO" I meant was listing the complaints I have heard the most and even though I lurk on allot of forums and know allot of ut gamers IRL and online I don't think I have met or heard all the complaints nor have I ever done an official survey so it's got to be 'IMO' as it's not the results of an official census.

UT2k3 did have more content. Twice would be stretch, true, but easily more then UT3. No I don't count UT3's model customization system variations as individual player models so that helps out my comparison perhaps unfairly to some but the individual models though grouped and similar within said groups stood on there own and you could easily tell who was who. Or at least thats what I can figure out by that line of comments I have heard as to why people have stopped playing UT3.

Also UT3 is my favorite to play also... just not my favorite to mod as it pwns my modeling skills big time.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, I'm sad too that UT3 has been the opposite of a hit. I can't stop playing its DM, and I love the music.
Also, EE's Skaarj Model pack. It's amazing.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Wasn't speaking of just maps but whatever. You got a better answer why I heard allot of people say 'less content'? ... Course I guess they could be souly UT2k4 players...

I know allot of people didn't want it due to the lack of the gametypes they liked specificly INV and BR that I know of. But that is subjective because GU hosted most of the top ranked INV servers for a long time. So I heard quite a bit from those people about how 'it sucked that INV wasn't a stock gametype in UT3'. I admit I would have liked that also, but I understand why it wasn't.

Plus it's not like I can't load up UT2k4 and play INV now on a packed server much of the time as that genre is still going strong for that game.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
BR was just uninteresting.
INV? yeah, it was the best gametype of UT2k4, but Unreal 1 Monsters would have looked like crap compared to what UT3 offers in the graphic department.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT2004 has a lot more content than UT3 does because it has both UT2003 and UT2004 content. The new content alone in UT2004 is roughly the same as it has been in every UT release.

UT2003 and UT2004 did have more player models, but they also had a lot less detail. The characters in UT3 took longer to make so they added the armor pieces stuff, for better or worse. Outside of models, though, I'm not sure how you could say that UT3 has less content since it has roughly the same number of maps and more vehicles.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
potentialassmuncher.jpg