FractalTextures as Skins and MultiSkins

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

onnel

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
Can anyone give me the quick rundown on how to programattically add a fractal multi-skin to a player?

How do I instantiate a new Fractal texture?

Also, is it acceptable to simply call player.multiskin[0] = newSkin; or does the skin need to be set using a method.

Finally, with the multiskins, I assume it is layered from 0...multiskin.length with multiskin[0] at the bottom...is this correct?

Thanks!

Onnel

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Ok, post this at Nerve Damage's forum (www.nervedamage.com). Hopefully you'll get some good answers there.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
As far as I know, skins don't layer over each other like shaders. Multiskins are used to define separate texture maps for separate parts of a model. For instance, in UT the head of a model uses a separate texture map than the torso, which allows different faces. To utilize them properly, the surfaces etc. must be set up when the mesh is imported to a class(I really don't know the details).

As for the procedural textures, I once played around with making procedural (fractal) textures for Unreal when it came out without very good looking results. You'll see why if you play with the fire engine. Basically, properly mapping the effects is very difficult and the engine doesn't account for seams in the texture map.
To try your hand with it, all you need to do is create a new texture (Browse textures and click new button, select class Fire for Fire type effects, Ice for Ice, etc.). The Fire engine editor pops up and viola! you can mess around to your hearts content.
Use Fire Properties>SparkType to play and go through the properties to see what else you can do.
TechPages (http://unreal.epicgames.com)has documentation (Fire Engine/Algorithmic Textures).
I know of no way to import a background for a procedural texture overlay(like a skin grid) but then again I never really tried to hard.