Would the "lolol-carzz-wtf?" guys play war w/o vehicles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I'd try to make and promote such a mutator myself, but for all what I attempted regarding UT3 it never got me anywhere (initiatives and content creation itself).

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I doubt it. Most of the Warfare fans like the cars a lot... and nearly all the Warfare maps are big and open enough that it would be impossible to have fun in them strictly on foot. Plenty of other warfare elements would need to be modified, such as the health of the nodes. It takes forever and you have to unload a good portion of your arsenal to work their health down. Boring. Sounds like maybe you want a whole new gametype instead of just a mutator. Or at least a whole pack of new, smaller maps.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The answer is yes. I know a lot of the guys who play on FragBU don't like the vehicle gametypes, but we've played Warfare on non-vehicle maps before and it's been awesome.

A mutator won't cut it though. The maps needs to be very much built with a non-vehicle warfare game in mind. A couple of the HOLP ones are quite good.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
WAR-Flux gets played just as much as any vehicle map in the EU war pickup.

However, certain maps just wont work without some vehicles. But otherwise yeah.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Flux is a fun map to play, so yeah it's definitely doable and I would play it if the stupid carzzz weren't in the gametype. I theory it would be really fun, even with the Skater McGee floating skateboard.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Plenty of other warfare elements would need to be modified, such as the health of the nodes. It takes forever and you have to unload a good portion of your arsenal to work their health down. Boring.

That's just wrong. 2 guys standing next to each other with the linkgun take out a node in no time at all. And there is always the orb.

I personally hardly use vehicles in warfare because "You cannot carry the orb in this vehivle" but in most of the stock maps they are needed to taxi me :) Apart from that I prefer to use the viper and scorp as you can use them to get from A to B quickly and they double as a one-shot weapon to take out bigger vehicles.

Oh, and Flux ftw!

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Taxis never work, i usually just end up firing shock primary at orb carriers on my team who are on their hoverboards. It's not as fast as a viper. But it is much faster then normal speed.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
That's just wrong. 2 guys standing next to each other with the linkgun take out a node in no time at all.

That situation has never happened to me... maybe because most people save the precious link gun ammo for building the node after you take it down. Keep in mind these aren't very good warfare players... hardly anyone on our server likes it. It just gets voted in once in a blue moon to keep the one warfare lover happy. But still, if the enemy node is being built and i'm trying to prevent that, i can use up all my rocket + flak ammo to do it :(

And there is always the orb.

Ug, I usually hate that thing in normal warfare. I don't know, maybe in Footfare it would be better.

Overall I actually like the idea. Just not with the stock maps!

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
If 2 people link up to shoot down a node they have enough link left to link it back up with the same technique. Alternateively, flak primary takes nodes out really fast.

If you don't like the orb then you are just playing ONS really. And ONS is boring.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
It definitely depends on the map. Many CTF maps would make good non vehicle WAR maps and are likely the easiest to modify for it. Most WAR maps would be silly wthout the vehicles. Many maps are non symetrical and would leave one team at a large dissadvantage.

Tank crossing without the tank. But, wtf, it's already like that anyway.
Islander changes to where the fortess team has the advantage.

You guys who are afraid of vehicles just need to learn how to deal with them. They are easier to destroy than you think. Big targets are hard to miss.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Vehicles in UT3 can easily dominate certain maps regardless of the skill of people attacking them.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Vehicles in UT3 can easily dominate certain maps regardless of the skill of people attacking them.

In my experience, I am talking several thousands of WAR and vCTF matches with top vehicle players, it's very rare that this happens. The tank at the air node on islander and in the downtown prime are the only ones that are very tough to crack. And then, only when in the hands of a very skilled driver.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
In my experience, I am talking several thousands of WAR and vCTF matches with top vehicle players, it's very rare that this happens. The tank at the air node on islander and in the downtown prime are the only ones that are very tough to crack. And then, only when in the hands of a very skilled driver.

In that case: Deemer the ****er :p