OK to use plain vanilla MS sound driver?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thanatosaurus

Feb 21, 2009
Toshiba Satellite P505-S8945, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Conexant Pebble HD SmartAudio with default Windows driver installed, ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 HD

I uninstalled the Conexant driver because it had the crappiest playback and recording quality I've ever heard and have had better sound quality in terms of recording from my mic and system sounds with Windows plain vanilla driver.

My question is: Is the plain vanilla driver acceptable to use in UT2004? Should I set the sound to Safe Mode or 3D Audio, or is it still OK to use HW 3D Audio?

Keep in mind, the manufacturer's drivers suck!

Thanks.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That's interesting, I also have a Toshiba Satellite, but the sound isn't bad. Then again, the graphics card in that model is so bad that it won't launch UT2004 anyway.
Rule of thumb - if it works, use it. Try 3D HW audio, if it doesn't work, try 3D audio, if it doesn't work, try safe mode. Though I don't think the default drivers utilise any kind of hardware optimisations, so 3D HW audio shouldn't work that well or at least be the same as 3D audio.

Thanatosaurus

Feb 21, 2009
What's the video card on your model? If it's nVidia, I've heard their mobile video cards are poor.

I will set it to 3D audio to begin with. I'm not an audiophile; I just want the game to play smoothly.

Also, do I need to keep Use System Driver ticked? I've read that you can't voice chat without it.

Thanks.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, worse, it's Intel.

Use System driver means it has disabled hardware support. It's best to uncheck it every time since it controls whether the OpenAL it uses is what's supplied with the game (old) or what's installed on your computer (usually newer).

Thanatosaurus

Feb 21, 2009
Intel? How can you even play with that? You must be using the lowest graphics settings possible.

I'll leave it unchecked.

Thanks.

Thanatosaurus

Feb 21, 2009
Sorry. I don't always read things properly the first time.

Well, at least you could run something. It's too bad laptop video cards aren't readily upgradable like on their desktop brethren. I know some can be, like the Alienware, but those are hella costly.