UDK Thesis

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dirkmalta

Mar 25, 2010
Hey all,

I'm currently going into my last year in BSc Creative Computing degree (http://www.stmartins.edu/Prospectuses/Computing2007.pdf).
This degree involves programming and engineering from the creative side of computing, so NO art design or modeling of any sort. For you to get an idea my final year subject include:
1) Human Computer Interaction;
2) Artificial Intelligence;
3) Mathematical Techniques of Operational Research;
4) Data Compression

For the past half year I've gotten into UDK and managed a full game demo running all sorts of stuff, basic animations, bots, scripts, ect... I'm no pro but I do understand the fundamental of UDK.

My concern is whether it would be possible to use UDK into my thesis. I have in mind of integrating camera recognition software into the engine. Obviously being a non-open engine, would I be able to add an external feature like this to UDK using coding with a language such as Java or C++?

Thanks

dirkmalta

Mar 25, 2010
It depends what you intend to do, and what you mean by 'Camera Recognition' software?

what I'm considering is having a system which reads basic facials movements of the player which determine if the player is frustrated, smiling, grinning, ect.. Depending on the reading, which will be gathered by a simple web cam, the states of the game will be modified accordingly.
Example if camera recognizes the player is getting frustrated, it will send a message to UDK to trigger easier enemies and decrease the spawn rate of the enemies.

I understand that it would slow the games performance drastically to have the system send over messages to UDK at real time, so instead this will be triggered after a certain time period, for example every 5 minutes.

Do you think UDK will allow this?