Polish president died in a plane crash?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I just heard that, he was travelling to Russia. I refuse to believe the story with the fog etc and that it was an accident. I think it was a sabotage.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Yes, sounds too questionable. Especially when whole Polish lead was on board.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If you think about the leaked video of the soliders shooting civilians in Iraq, then the summit and then the polish president going to visit the place of the Katyn massacre and died in a crash and they blame it on fog? Shouldn't plane like that be able to avoid these and the trees?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Shouldn't plane like that be able to avoid these and the trees?

That would depend on the Airport, if it has an ILS beacon then yes, if not, then no.

Contrary to popular belief, modern planes can't land themselves just anywhere, only at Airfields that have a VOR/ILS beacon in place, it's a combination of tech in the plane, and on the ground that makes it possible, but not all Airfields have an ILS beacon, some still rely on the old ADF/NDB system.

But even ILS wont save you from pilot error, the Autopilot has to be engaged for it to land the plane, if the pilot is doing the landing, he could still get it horribly wrong despite having the VOR/ILS guage to help him (the most common reason beeing that the pilot gets disorientated, and forgets to look at his VOR, or decides that he knows better than the VOR).

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, I don't think the conspiracy freaks are going to let this one go in a hurry but it's not as if planes don't actually fall out of the sky occasionally.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Shouldn't a plane like that be able to avoid these and the trees?

A Tu-154? Not really, no. Before you guys keep speculating, I'd suggest reading at least one news article about the crash. While of course nothing specific is known yet, the circumstances seem to point towards pilot error in bad weather conditions.

I'm not terribly upset about Kaczynski's demise, but it must be pretty hard for the state of Poland to lose such a large amount of top-ranking officials and it's sad about those survivors/relatives of victims from the Katyn massacre that were traveling along.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
A Tu-154? Not really, no.

TU-154's have been retrofitted with VOR/ILS and DME guages, but, i somewhat doubt they have a sophisticated enough Autopilot to do an automated ILS landing, the plane's from 1968 if i recall correctly.

So yeah, the landing would have been all up to the squishy organic bit sitting behind the Yoke..

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
They will find the Black Box.
4 weeks later. It will be suggested, that the pilot was text messaging on his iPhone.

This in turn, will make Apple's stock drop in price, and the world will implode.
Thus we all die.

The end.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
This is why I don't fly in planes.

Apparently they had been told by air traffic control or a flight tower or whatever to land at another airport, but the pilot still attempted to land. And there's pictures of the landing wheels in the trees. It's pilot error. Stop making it something it's not.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Was it from 60s really? Someone said this one was from 90s.

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
That specific model the president flew on was manufactured in 1990 while on 2009 it was under technical service. Apart from that, I also heard from news report that pilots completely ingnored the requests made by air traffic control, even when the aircraft was at critical distance from the ground.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Was it from 60s really? Someone said this one was from 90s.

The TU-154 has been manufactured since then, yes, it's an old design, but this specific plane could have been manufactured much later, and probably was, they have been building the bloody things for a very long time now..

But even a late production model of the TU-154 is rather.. barebones compared to newer Western made airliners, they are a tad crude.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Not to worry. From what I heard on the news PM Putin is on the case and will be investigating this incident, and no I'm not kidding.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
Nobody actually gives a **** enough to try and kill the polish president, and if anyone did, I'd like to think anyone with an IQ above a 14 year old schoolgirl wouldn't do it this stupidly.