Need laptop recommendations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Since my old laptop's display backlight died two months ago, I'm looking for a new one now. It should be able to handle UT3/UnrealEd, but without weighing too much.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to current mobile CPUs/GPUs, so some generic recommendations would be welcome.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
Hi Wormbo :)

The new processors are about to come out, the ones that run cooler and use less power. I'd look for a price drop in just a few weeks. You'll be able to decide whether you want more for your money or to pay less for what is out there currently.

I'm in the market for a core 2 duo netbook and I'm getting so impatient. I've been waiting for about a month now lol.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
my now 1.5 (or so) years old laptop handles UT3 and the editor just fine, so I guess anything faster than a c2d T5800 (2ghz), 4gb ram and a 9600M GT should be fine. I payed 700€ back when I bought it so you should be able to get something even better for the price now.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Sounds good. I had a quick look around and found manufacturers seem to prefer those stupid glossy displays. Quite pointless IMHO as I want to see the screen content, not myself. If I need a mirror, I'll use a mirror, thank you. :p

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Mine has a glossy display. It's annoying in daylight at times. But sadly most cheap notebooks have them and the rest of the hardware was quite awesome for that price back then so I got it anyways. Oh, and 1366x768 might be a bit small for work with UED, so make sure you get one with decent screen size.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I thought about at least 900 pixels vertical resolution, if not even Full HD.

Does anyone know a website where you can select your requirements and it omes up with matching laptop models?

Flak

May 26, 2004
I'm looking for the same thing Wormbo. The closest I've found is searching for the processors I'm looking for on Google and weeding through the crap. I want either a SU4100 or SU7300. I've gotten it narrowed down now to a few notebooks and now I'm just waiting for the price drop. (Impatiently)

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
http://www.notebookcheck.net/
I stumbled across the site not long ago, so don't know its reputation. Just used it to quickly get an idea of the performance of the various graphics cards, since it listed benchmarks for many of them.
I see there's a section called Purchase Consultation where you select more abstractly: "big screen", "play games" etc.

Flak

May 26, 2004
I wound up with the Acer 1810T with the SU7300 processor and I'm in love with it. It was a fingerprint magnet though so I skinned it. The exact model I got was the 1810T-8638

Acer Aspire 1810T-8638 11.6" Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Diamond Black) - LX.SA202.006

picture.php