UE1 - UT How to animate a texture?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this as this is more of a graphics question, but I have a great water texture that is perfect for what I need in every way, except it is not an animated texture. I know I can make it special lit and light it with the "ShimmeryWater" effect, but it doesn't do quite what I want it to and I can't be sure everyone plays with dynamic lighting turned on anyway.

Are there any tried and true methods for taking a single water texture and animating it? Any programs out there that can do it for you and generate all the frames I would need?

Thanks in advance

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Have you tried using a WetTexture already? It only needs a base texture and displaces source pixels horizontally based on a calculated wave pattern. You basically "paint" wave generating elements onto the WetTexture in the editor to achieve the desired effect.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
How do you use WetTexture? I never even knew such a thing existed... I can't seem to find it though, it's neither in surface properties nor texture properties (although I did find a thing called bWaterWavy which doesn't seem to do anything)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Well I found it, but when I go into the texture properties and try to change the object class, it won't let me highlight to change it :(

Edit: Okay now I figured out I have to go file > new and create a new one but that only lets me select up to 256 x 256 and my texture is 1024 x 1024 and there's no way i'm reducing the size by a factor of 4 but there has to be a way to change the wettexture dimensions somewhere else right?

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Well, thanks for your help, but the size limit simply won't do... however I have spent all morning painstakingly creating all the frames necessary for an animated image; I found some various filters in my image editing program that apply ripples and whatnot to an image and I changed the intensity and orientation little by little for each frame and and ended up with 32 frames in the sequence. It looks awesome in game and the frame rate is still consistently above 60 but unfortunately I now have a 50 MB map, although hard drive space is hardly an issue these days so there is really no compelling reason why a large file size should be a big deal right?