UT3 DM-Serpent [12h Speedmap]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

piranhi

Sep 2, 2009
Name: DM-Serpent
Version: 12 Hour Final (Fixed)
Compatibility: PC Unreal Tournament 3 Patch 2.1 with Titan Pack
Description: I wanted a break from my work I've been doing, so I decided to challenge myself and create a speed map. I gave myself 12 hours from start to finish, which is why it might seem a bit bare in places. The 12 hours also included the idea and design of the level and I had to cut it down in places, the top level, for example, was meant to extend out a bit more at the sides but I started to run out of time so I cut them off.

I would recommend doing a speed map to anyone, it pushes you to think and adapt on the fly. I learnt a few little tricks and I'm definitely going to do another one. I found 12 hours about right to get the map finished without the extra layer of deco found in most maps, hence why some parts feel a bit empty. However, I think it has the core gameplay element to it, and I found it quite fun. I nearly canned the map about 5 times because I wasn't happy, especially when I decided the whole level was too big and I had to select it all scale it, which created more work trying to get assets the right size.

Anyway, hope you like it :) I won't be developing this map any more (unless I find a game-breaking bug) as that kind of defeats the point, but any C&C is more then welcome for future reference.

Comments: 12 Hour Speed Map, Enjoy!
Screenshot:
ss1e.jpg

ss2h.jpg

ss3de.jpg

ss4gd.jpg

ss5ks.jpg

ss6n.jpg

Credits: Epic Games for their amazing engine and dedicated support to the community.
Homepage: http://www.piranhi.com
Download: http://www.newmedia.artdesignhull.ac.uk/ccook/Maps/DM-Serpent.rar

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
In order to really do something like this I'd need to know all the asset packages like the back of my hand. I spend way too much time searching for the right objects to use.

piranhi

Sep 2, 2009
This was only my second time using UT3 to create a map, so I just stuck with one package genre for safety.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
In order to really do something like this I'd need to know all the asset packages like the back of my hand. I spend way too much time searching for the right objects to use.

Could always do a BSP only one :)

Looks nice btw, could have used some trims but hey 12 hours is limiting :) Good job.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, I played it...downloaded it from the official Epic forums, btw. I still can't believe that it only took you 12 hours to put this together. Heck, it would take me almost two weeks to a month to even come close to this. :D

Well, I dunno, I'm probably gonna have a weekend project planned, and hope that I can start on it Friday afternoon after I get home, and try and work on the map through Sunday night before I hit the hay, and have a beta on Monday afternoon. May or may not be a good challenge to set, but hey...I'm willing to set the record for speed mapping to match you.

Last edited:

piranhi

Sep 2, 2009
Good luck bud, it would be cool if there was speed mapping competitions in the community, the only problem is, without doing a 12 hour stint, there really isn't any way to time them.

I look forward to seeing your map when it's finished though :D

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, it's gonna be a Shadow Warrior convert, more or less...it's called Urban Pagoda, since it's a towering dojo/temple in the middle of Downtown Tokyo, and you do have the street corner to fight on as well, should be good.

EDIT: Well, can't guarantee that it'll be a speedmap, tho. It's gonna be a much more involved map than I thought I was going to do...and typical weekend events got in the way of trying to get more than just a room or two done at a time. Ah well. Plus it's gonna be Duke 3D influenced, not Shadow Warrior, well, maybe 3DR influence in general (don't shut my map down, Broussard).

Back on topic, tho, awesome map still, and hope to see more of these "speedmaps" coming from you soon... Congrats, and will catch you with another good map.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
great speedmap!

I was right, this one looks great and plays fine. Besides no player load in the preview shot and bots that could be better, I had a fun experience in this map. It's a cool landscape on the top, but I had to fly to see it (unless I'm missing something). I liked the blinking lights, sifting sand, music, ambient sounds (especially moaning of the serpent I think), Necris woven with what seems to be possibly Celtic themes, walls, warriors and the sand floor. It's not only a map that was quick to produce, but the gameplay is quick as well with lots of twists and turns. If you don't like a lot of corridors, then this map is not for you; I felt it was a nice change from the usual and the gameplay was still good with them.