Question for the parents on BuF

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
How do you do it? I mean I work in a grocery store, and seeing parents in there with kids complaining because they couldn't get lunchables or their balloon hit the ceiling and they can't get that specific balloon back or they push a gallon of milk and it spills, their faces just seem interesting. How do you do it?

Is it lots of patience?
Is it drugs?
Is is massive spankings?

Last edited:

hi-ban

"Building Better Worlds"
Nov 1, 2005
LV-426
my last ex-gf has a child, and in my little experience (2 months living together) it's patience.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well you can't kill them. It's illegal.
You can't beat them. It's illegal.
You can't yell at them. It's unproductive.
You can't reason with them. It's incomprehensible.

About all that's left is to tune it out. If you've ever lived near a train or an interstate for years and finally learned not to hear them then you know what I mean.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Depends on the kids. Mine are happy for the most part and I get hot girls coming over all the tie and they love the attention. Sometimes they act up, but it helps if I use the cart that has the car they can sit in. You also have to be quick. I will bring in some "ga-gas" (crackers to my one year old) to keep them distracted.

On the days they are pills, it is about patience and bribery. Just enough bribing so that you are not spoiling them. Tuning them out is bad because then you turn in to one of those douche-bag parents whose kids everyone drives nuts.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
When I have a child, which I won't. But when I do, I will treat them as fully grown people, they'll be all like "See you later M.A.D, I'm of to work, and do you mind getting me a new bib? This ones seen better days" at age 2.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'm an uncle to 6 nephews and nieces. That's enough for me I think.

What makes me rage the most is when they won't sit still at family events, you tell them every 2 minutes with a stern voice that if they don't calm the heck down they'll knock something over. Eventually they knock over a crystal glass or something and feel it wasn't their fault because IT WAS A ACCIDENT and get in a mood for the rest of the evening.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Show them the fist and explain to them that you brought them into this world and you can sure as hell take them out. That seems to make them behave. If not then nail their hands to the wall and have the blood flow directly into their mouths so they can taste how dirty and disgusting they really are. ****ing kids :mad:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Patience. If you don't have it or can't learn it, don't bother with kids.

I can only speak from the experience of having a 5 1/2 month old that is fairly happy as far as babies go. She doesn't cry a lot at all and is mostly "giggles" when she's awake. The trick is, we give her lots of loving attention and routine. She's well pampered. You can't spoil a baby. We play with her when she wants playtime and we lay her down for a nap when she wants it. We try to not to linger too long in a restaurant or while out shopping and manage to avoid public crankiness for the most part. We don't ignore her when she cries. We don't leave her in a room some where to "cry it out". Because we pamper her at this age, she'll healthily respect and trust us more when she's older.

-----

As far as older kids go, these are some rules my wife and I have talked about.

Always give reasons for why you are telling them something and always answer their questions. Take every chance you get to satisfy their curiosity. For example, never say, "just because I said so" when they whine about having to go to bed. Give them an honest reason and they'll respect you more for it and build up a natural urge to always ask questions when no reason (or good reason) is given. Always answer the "why" questions. And don't lame out and say "god did it" or "you'll know when you're older" or "you're too young to understand". That's not an answer and it'll stunt their natural urge to be curious. If you don't know the answer to their question, turn it into a learning experience and go to the computer with them or open a book and make it a fun experience to find out. You both will learn something.

Never tune out your kids. I know others who do this and their kids walk all over them and act like little pricks in public and at home. If you can't be the master and ignore them for long periods of time, they won't respect you when you do try to put your foot down.

Never sit your kids in front of the TV for too long. TV should be an occasional experience, not a baby sitter. They'll never learn how to entertain themselves and be content without it if all they ever do is watch TV all day. It can stunt their natural curiosity and creativity.

At dinner time, eat at the table. Turn that meal into a family occasion where you can share food, talk about the day, and relax. Don't have Mac and Cheese every night either. Make decent, meal-worthy food. Eat different things all the time so they grow up not being picky. It's more work, but it's worth it for them and you. Don't eat in front of the TV or in the car.

Let them play outside and get dirty. Let them explore.

Don't rely too much on bribes to get them to cooperate. Bribing too much leads them to expect a reward for cooperation every time. Instead of bribing, try giving them a honest reason. Hopefully, if you've done much of the above, you wont have to bribe much.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Is it lots of patience?
Is it drugs?
Is is massive spankings?
yes, yes and sort of

seriously though, the most important thing is absolute consistency with your punishment/discipline. I learned the hard way with my son. Everything was going pretty good when we used timeout and all of that, but when we got a little lazy and didn't carry through with our warnings, it went downhill fast. They learn really fast how to manipulate you. We've really tightened back up on it and things are getting much, much better now. Oh, and when it gets really bad, spankings used wisely, really snap them back into reality.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Why do people even have children if it's so crap.

For once you have a valid question and not just spouting dumb ****.

Why do people want to have kids?

Why would you want to go through the extra expense(unless it means extra money at tax time)?

Why would you want to go through the hell of waking up every few hours to a crying time bomb?

Why would you want to go through the terrible 2's? Or even worse when they start going through the "I want" phase.

I knew the moment I took sex ed, and we had to take a robotic baby home to take care of it for the night, that I would never want to be a parent. F that business.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
Because being old is boring and sad, and children are so happy and naive and its fun to forget about the world and play with toy soldiers in a totally socially acceptable way.

Also because the only meaning of life is to pass on your genes.