PDA

View Full Version : UE1 - UT Terrain Question, Tessellated Cubes

rmcollins3
23rd Feb 2010, 09:04 PM
In this tutorial...

Cave (http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/tutorials/tutorialimages/externaltutorials/uedcave.jpg)

In step 6, which brush is he referring to when he says to edit the vertices to make the edges natural? I'm assuming it's the terrain builder brush, but I get funky results doing that.

SilentKoala
23rd Feb 2010, 10:02 PM
Yes it's talking about the terrain brush; if by funky results you mean bsp errors, try reducing the number of tesselations or increasing your grid size or both.

rmcollins3
23rd Feb 2010, 10:52 PM
By funky, I mean when I edit the vertices of the terrain brush and then subtract it as the sky, it only cuts off sections of the roof of the bottom subtracted brush. If that doesn't makes sense, I'll take a screenshot or two. Tx.

SilentKoala
24th Feb 2010, 07:55 AM
I think the purpose of doing this is so the tops of your cliffs will be jagged instead of flat. You'll set the roof of your bottom brush to fake backdrop anyway because it will be your sky.

rmcollins3
24th Feb 2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah I think I didn't have the terrain brush low enough down on my canyon brush(es), so it wasn't subtracting properly after editing the vertices and was leaving sections. Lowering the terrain brush (or raising the canyon brush) solved the problem.

I'm at work, but it seems hitting intersect before subtracting the terrain brush (sky) could cause mass BSP holes.

Also - I don't really see the benefit of using this method as opposed to simply adding the vertex edited tessellated cubes inside a larger subtracted cube, then deintersecting the entire finished terrain into one brush to subtract.