Editing a mesh in the UDK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Demonfrost

Feb 14, 2010
Off the bat, im very new but ill try to keep my questions clear and try to spare everyone as much pain as possible.

Anyway, Im using the UDK and what i am attempting to do is take a mesh already in the editor (HU_Mech_SM_Light01 to be exact) and edit the material attached to it.

**I was practicing Shooting out a light tutorial, but the mesh as it comes is a little bright. Its good for the Before light, but i wanted a secondary Darker mesh to replace it**

1. I duplicated the mesh and the material within their respective packages. I renamed them so not to confuse with the originals.

2. taking the new material, i edited it within the Material Editor to my satisfaction

3. Using the new Mesh, i opened the Properties, found my way into the LODInfo, and pointed the Material window towards my newly edited material.

The mesh itself appeared unchanged in the preview window, and when i closed the properties, the new material appeared to not be on the mesh within my level as well. So i opened the properties of my edited mesh to find that it was still using the original material.

Is there a save option I'm missing? or is the mesh itself slaved into using only that material? any help is greatly appreciated. Thx everyone

-DemonFrost

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
The proper way to do it would just be dublicating the material, editing it and then selecting the meshes where you want that new material IN YOUR LEVEL (not in the package) go to the properties and use the material overwrite there.

Demonfrost

Feb 14, 2010
Update: i ended up just Drag and Dropping the material onto the mesh in the level editor. that seemed to get me what i wanted, but i was just a little thrown by not being able to edit that material that meshes use in the content browser.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Well it would just not be reasonable. Why have the same mesh twice in your package increasing map size and ram usage when its the exact same mesh?

A workaround would be adding your mesh to the level, applying the alternative material and then creating a prefab from that mesh. Then you could place that in your level. Then you will be placing the original mesh without having to apply the material to every single mesh you want it on seperately.