Windows 7 64-bit only using 3GB of 4GB RAM

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
So I installed Windows 7 64 bit version yesterday and I noticed that it's says that it sees 4GB of RAM, but only 3GB is usable. Under system properties under System Type, it says I am running "64-bit operating system." A quick Google search showed that others with this same mobo are having this same issue.

I am guessing this must be a BIOS setting, but not sure which one. Anyone care to help?

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
That worked, but It created a sound problem. The gets staticy and sounds like garbage. I am guessing it's because maybe my CPU doesn't support that feature.(I don't know as this is just a guess) So it looks like I am stuck at 3GB of RAM.:(

Last edited:

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Interesting.

I have that exact board & had sound issues like you describe, but with onboard.

Got a cheapo sound card & it went away.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Wait, did I say 'memory hole'? I meant 'memory remap feature'. 'Memory hole' should be disabled (well, in my mobo manual I've written 'disable' beside memory hole, so there must have been a reason... And I've only ever used 64 bit O/S).

Have you enabled 'memory remap feature' and disabled 'Memory hole'?

Memory hole is for ISA cards.

Are you sure? If so, what options do I change?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Get the DanielK drivers for Vista 64-bit if you want your X-Fi to function correctly.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Wait, did I say 'memory hole'? I meant 'memory remap feature'. 'Memory hole' should be disabled (well, in my mobo manual I've written 'disable' beside memory hole, so there must have been a reason... And I've only ever used 64 bit O/S).

Have you enabled 'memory remap feature' and disabled 'Memory hole'?

Memory hole is for ISA cards.

lol, I meant exactly same thing, knew it didn't sound right at first place, but my mobo doesn't have this option and enables it automatically when needed.

BillyBadAss, after digging around your motherboard's manual, I think you should try toggle MTRR Mapping option under CPU Configuration.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
So I installed Windows 7 64 bit version yesterday and I noticed that it's says that it sees 4GB of RAM, but only 3GB is usable. Under system properties under System Type, it says I am running "64-bit operating system." A quick Google search showed that others with this same mobo are having this same issue.

I am guessing this must be a BIOS setting, but not sure which one. Anyone care to help?

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard.

A 32bit OS will see all 4GB of RAM! A 64bit bit OS will see 1.84e19 bytes of RAM.

It doesn't matter if you are running a 64bit OS... it still runs 32 bit processes... limited to 4GB of physical address space. (honestly you are probably better off installing the 32bit version if you only have 4GB or less).

In the meantime, just leave it as is. They may release a firmware update that corrects the issue later for your motherboard. But you are probably better off w/ this "memory hole" enabled than w/o it. You can always install more RAM (6GB, 8GB etc) later if you wish.

p3rplex3d

Elephant Rider
Aug 19, 2009
my soundblaster, using windows 7 would give all kinds of static and especially in ut3. after searching and searching for answers I finally had to plug into the on-board audio. now it works fine. so I think its a soundblaster/7 bug. hopefully a fix soon.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Looks like hit and miss for different people. My X-Fi works perfectly under Windows 7 x64 without any sound anomalies. UT3 sound bugs tend to be more OpenAL releated.