UE3 - UT3 HELP A NOOB!!!! PLZ!!! =(

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ShadowsWar

Nov 30, 2008
Hi everyone, long time no see you all, I've been AFK for a lot of reasons, but the thing is, I'm back to codding, and, as usual, back to the forum to ask a lot of questions too XD

So here's the deal, I've already gotten some skills in unreal codding, but only for unreal tournament 2004 =X
Now I wanted to try out the UE3 for some modding, since it actually for what I've seen in it's mods and comparing to UE2k4, it's the best option for the kind of mods I think...

The thing is(I'm even embarrassed to sai ^^").... I've always done mods for ut by searching the code of the game for something similar to use it as base, and till UE2k4 it worked very well this way( rsrs also used your help, of course XD).
But this new engine is kind of confuse for me, since I've tried to look up the codes of somethings (like that "slow motion" whatever device mine) to see how it worked, but I just couldn't find it. Then I read that there are some codes in the source that they just didn't give in the free source....
Also tried searching for other things like dameType(I guess was that, don't remember very well) and also didn't find it...
So I'm very confuse now, since I've aways done modding by searching the code to see how it was done, then tried to do what I wanted, but now I'm really lost in this, I couldn't even do some very simple things( just a FirstMutator, from a Tut from Uwiki or 3D Buzz, don't remember xD)...

So please, show me the light, tell me if I'm just confuse and I'm just searching in the right places, or if to mod for the UE3 engine you need to know what you're doing or else you go nowhere =S

Tnks every body!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
For looking up code it really helps knowing the exact in-game names of stuff.
For "that 'slow motion' whatever device mine" that would be "Slow Field Generator". You likely won't find that exact string in the UnrealScript sources as they strictly separated display strings into localization files now, but a quick full text search in UT3\UTGame\Localization\INT brings up section [UTDeployableSlowField] in UTGameContent.int. In other words, you're looking for class UTGameContent.UTDeployableSlowField.