UE1 - UT Mixing Objects and Actors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What precautions can you take when referring to Actors from custom-made non-spawnable Objects? As I understand things, a crash can take place under some conditions but it's not clear how and when this can happen.

P.S: I could just use Actors in all cases but, with the LinkedList I made a while back, this comes accross as excessive.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
A crash will happen if an actor is somehow still referenced by an object after a map change or after the actor has been destroyed. There shouldn't be any problems as long as the object's actor reference is cleaned up when the actor is destroyed.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok. So, ideally, I need to place a call in Actor that sends a message to the Object when the Actor is destroyed.

What if an Object is referring to an Actor that can't be modified (like a Pawn)? Would there be a way to get round this?