New Power Supply, new problems.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Alright, first off, lucky my main comp (the one I'm typing on) works perfectly fine. But the other computer has been a pain for a long time. It was having a lot of problems with constant crashing and blue screens, something about Memory Dumping or some such error. It would happen at completely random times. Other times, when the comp started up there would be strange green matrix like code or lines going across the bios screen, and it would only go away if shut the monitor off then turned it back on. :/

Anyway, that's not what I'm trying to fix atm. I thought that some of the crashes could have been power related so I ordered a Corsair 550 watt PS to replace the crappy Antec 500 watt Green Power I had in there. The problem is that it won't start up properly.

If I use the 12v 4 pin molex the comp won't even flinch if I turn the power on, if I leave it out, the comp starts up, but it doesn't do anything besides fan spin up, and it won't power off unless I kill the power switch.

WTF is going on. :c

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Mmmm... if you get no video that's probably where you should start. Make sure there's proper connectors going to any video cards, disconnect and reconnect the VGA/DVI cables, etc.

The only way to be sure the new PSU is the cause is to put the old one back in. If it works again it's probably the new PSU not working or you're missing something silly. If it doesn't work when you put the old in then you probably damaged something.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Apologies for the snarkiness, but I have never, ever heard of memory dumps being caused by power supplies. I would do what NRG says and start with checking your connections and make sure everything is nice and dustfree because overheating could be your problem in the first place. As to what's going on with your new power supply--I'm guessing that since you've been playing with things installing the new PSU you've merely added onto the earlier problems. Hope that works.

~Jason

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Bad RAM/bad video card/bad mobo are my first thoughts.

Reseat everything, & reset your CMOS (take out the battery) while you are reseating the RAM/GPU, etc.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I took everything out and put the old PS back in. That didn't work, so I eventually checked the new PS's manual. Apparently the 4 pin connector that was attached to the 20 pin main line ISN'T a 12v 4-pin like every other damn PS in the world, even though it fits right in and it will damage the system if connected. :lol:

When I installed the old PS, the same problem I had before persists, leaving out the 4 pin 12v (Yeah this actually is a 12v 4-pin) makes the mobo power up, but no post and holding the power button to power off does nothing. But, now when the 12v is connected, the fan spins for 3 seconds then stops, YAY. :c

Whatever, I think the 12v line on the mobo is now fubar, but the mobo seemed like it was dying anyway so it's a good and bad thing. POS Asrock 939 did last a bit, but if I build a new system, I won't be able to use any of the parts since it still used an AGP port.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
What's the likelihood that the new power supply is messed up from the 12v plug when I used it on the mobo? I don't want to take the chances of using it again and having it fry a new system. :c