Does it get harder?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I've been playing single-player to get a taste for the game. I'm about nine hours in, level 21 or 22, playing as Roland.

Thus far (I've done every Badlands quest and a few of the next area) the game hasn't been very difficult. Does that change? And what about when you play with other people? If the game is too easy with one person, wouldn't that make it super easy with more? Does the game buff the enemies and/or their number when there are more players in the game?

I know you can do multiple plays through and it starts all the enemies off at progressively higher levels, but what about on the first time? Surely the first play through shouldn't be a cakewalk, right?

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
The only hard areas where ever you find Crimson Lance folks.

Most of the rest of the AI go down fast when you are higher levels. However, if you did know this, the game gets harder the more players in game.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I just started playing Borderlands a two days ago and I've noticed that my pew pew makes quick work of the early on quest people.

I'm at level 15 right now, and I've been trying my hand at the 3rd round of that Arena thing with the skags. I can't seem to make it passed this one, the first two rounds were ok, but this one is meant for level 18+ and I can't seem to kill the fire skags. :c

EDit: I'm playing as that phase chick btw

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
However, if you did know this, the game gets harder the more players in game.
Good. I was hoping that was the case because it's been pretty easy thus far. Especially with the human opponents -- aim for the head and they're done quickly no matter how high their level is.

I beat that arena quest yesterday without any trouble. They didn't send fire skags at me, though -- the last round had two pretty damned giant regular ones with crazy armor. I was using a rapid-fire incendiary shotgun that helped drain their health quickly so it wasn't a huge deal.

From what i hear Roland is so self sufficient he is a fairly easy class to master.
Some of his perks do seem a bit overpowered. A turret that shoots rockets and lightning while healing friendlies? Permanent regenerating ammo for every weapon for every person on your team except for grenades? God damn.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Good. I was hoping that was the case because it's been pretty easy thus far. Especially with the human opponents -- aim for the head and they're done quickly no matter how high their level is.

I beat that arena quest yesterday without any trouble. They didn't send fire skags at me, though -- the last round had two pretty damned giant regular ones with crazy armor. I was using a rapid-fire incendiary shotgun that helped drain their health quickly so it wasn't a huge deal.
wtf, that's not fair.

I had to deal with four of those giant ones. They sent six of the smaller spitter ones at me, then the two big ones. After I managed to kill a big one, two more show up. Then five seconds later, two fire skags appear. :/

That was actually a really really easy quest for me to finish. I also got the eldar skaggs with armor, and hardly took damage. I just kept backing up and shooting them.

Of couse, having a shotgun that deals good damage and lights your enimies on fire probably helped. lol

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
As with most rpg's, I feel it gets easier as you go. I found the game to be at it's hardest at around level 5-10'ish.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I actually haven't seen a single corrosive weapon at this point in the game (level 21 or 22). I've seen maybe two corrosive skags... I get the feeling the game is being easy on me because I'm going solo. :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've only ever played the storyline co-op so I have no clue. For me, it did get quite a bit harder around the time you get to New Haven.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I heard here and there some people have been able to fake-trick the game so it worked as if 2 players were on (see last line in Slainchild's post). The game seems to be made in a way that everything is eventually easy to do because of the availability. I suspect the linear quest system is a really big part of this problem.

I wished I would be able to have more quests 1-2 levels higher than my current. My alternative is just to confront higher level enemies and avoid A LOT of quests, keeping a focus on the main ones (The ones you're forced to do in order to progress)

It's a shame though, Borderlands is a really good game, but the quest system is trully awful and stinky.
Again, this game begs for an SDK.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I actually haven't seen a single corrosive weapon at this point in the game (level 21 or 22). I've seen maybe two corrosive skags... I get the feeling the game is being easy on me because I'm going solo. :p

Incendiary seems to be fairly common starting out. Corrosive and Shock weapons are the next most common and I've only recently started seeing explosives.