PDA

View Full Version : Need Meshes

Rykin
3rd Nov 2009, 10:54 PM
I am in a level design class using UE2RT and I have been looking for some static meshes to use in my level design. I just need some basic modern office type stuff (desks, chairs, shelves, vending machines, coffee cups, etc) but I am having zero luck finding anything for Unreal besides space themed stuff.

Just wondering if someone out there can point me to somewhere that has free models/meshes I could use to help me finish up the design of my level? Is it possible to convert SketchUp models to a format that UE2RT can use because I have found lots of stuff that would probably work if I could?

brunomartelli
9th Nov 2009, 04:20 PM
Google 3d warehouse. if u use pro version of sketchup, export models as 3ds, import into 3dsMax, fix 'em up and texture then export as .ase.

Rykin
9th Nov 2009, 06:11 PM
Was looking for something that doesn't require me to know how to use 3DS Max because I am pretty much lost in there. All the tutorials I can find seem to assume you know what you are doing in it and I don't.

brunomartelli
10th Nov 2009, 06:09 AM
very briefly...

In Sketchup Pro export mesh as .3ds

In 3ds max import the .3ds
- Select all verts, weld them, select all polys then auto smooth.
- Click the 'show normals' box and check that faces are round the right way.
- Assuming that you have an model with more than one texture, in the Material window, make a 'MultiSubObject' texture &import textures for each Multisubobject channel, then use the 'UVW' and unwrap 'UVW' modfiers to get the texture mapping right.
- Then export as .ase
--------
this guy has great 3ds Max video tutes:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=GuyBluesummers#p/u/52/lQyOai5UezQ

The built in help in 3ds max is also very good