PDA

View Full Version : Bosses[Spoilers Guaranteed]

Wulff
31st Oct 2009, 06:39 PM
What do you make of the subtext? I found it funny. Too bad not all the bosses have subtext.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100036&stc=1&d=1257028437
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100037&stc=1&d=1257028472
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100038&stc=1&d=1257028472

hal
31st Oct 2009, 11:15 PM
I laugh every time those Boss screens pop up. The "P.S. You guys aren't friends" one was great. I love how they do that to introduce them.

Dark Pulse
1st Nov 2009, 09:08 PM
I love it. There's one that you see after you beat the game that made an unsuspecting me spit out my drink. Although technically not a boss. :p

pine
3rd Nov 2009, 03:13 AM
They should have done it more consistently. Why doesn't Mad Mel get an intro splash screen? Or Bone Head? Or that Captain dude from the Crimson Lance? I was all surprised when Krom had one because I'd gone so long without seeing any, and I fought several minor bosses in that period. I thought there weren't going to be any more.

There's a lot of ways the game feels kind of hasty and unfinished to me, and that's one of them.

Rambowjo
3rd Nov 2009, 06:54 AM
The subtext to Baron Flynt, is that whatever he's smoking, it's for medicinal purposes, right?

Dark Pulse
3rd Nov 2009, 12:25 PM
The subtext to Baron Flynt, is that whatever he's smoking, it's for medicinal purposes, right?Correct. It's an "herbal" cigarette, not a herbal cigarete.

Capt.Toilet
3rd Nov 2009, 12:29 PM
Correct. It's an "herbal" cigarette, not a herbal cigarete.

Now that makes more sense. A bunch of use on TS were like "huh medicinal?"

SlayerDragon
3rd Nov 2009, 02:05 PM
I'm fairly certain that's a bit of the ganja. But, it's for medicinal purposes. His glaucoma is actin' up, okay?

Kantham
3rd Nov 2009, 03:35 PM
It needs to read..

BARON FLYNT
PREPARE FOR A MASSIVE FRAME RATE DROP

Wulff
3rd Nov 2009, 04:55 PM
Dunno, didn't notice much framedrop.

Dark Pulse
3rd Nov 2009, 05:24 PM
Dunno, didn't notice much framedrop.Me either. I *DID* notice that if you got shot, it ****ing hurts BAD though.

Capt.Toilet
3rd Nov 2009, 05:25 PM
The above posters probably didn't notice because A: Playing at a low res so it really doesn't matter or B: Your computer is a nuclear reactor. Or C: You can't tell the difference between 20-30 or 30-60 etc. My comp is no slouch and it practically dies in Flynts area.

Dark Pulse
3rd Nov 2009, 05:32 PM
The above posters probably didn't notice because A: Playing at a low res so it really doesn't matter or B: Your computer is a nuclear reactor. Or C: You can't tell the difference between 20-30 or 30-60 etc. My comp is no slouch and it practically dies in Flynts area.2048x1152. Maximum details. Fyrestone slows my PC down more than Flynts' area.

Wulff
3rd Nov 2009, 06:17 PM
Only 1680x1050 here, max detail.

Darkdrium
3rd Nov 2009, 07:02 PM
I confirm the massive framerate drop.
8800 GTS is a little old for this game but considering the rest of the game runs above 40 just fine with my settings, there's no reason for it to go down at 2... Other than bad optimization :/

Kantham
3rd Nov 2009, 07:28 PM
Baron Flynt's rig also lags on the Xbox 360 version.

Sjosz
3rd Nov 2009, 07:30 PM
For me the Baron Flynt place wasn't really laggy, there was a small drop in framerate, but seeing as the fight lasted all of a minute or so (somehow Flynt managed to get launched off the rig and died by falling)

Fuzzle
3rd Nov 2009, 08:09 PM
The above posters probably didn't notice because A: Playing at a low res so it really doesn't matter or B: Your computer is a nuclear reactor. Or C: You can't tell the difference between 20-30 or 30-60 etc. My comp is no slouch and it practically dies in Flynts area.

I play at 1680x1050 with all details maxed except shadows on my 8800GT, and get 40-60fps as long as it's not in the process of loading up textures. I noticed no slowdown at Flynt's.

Turning on shadows really kills me though, which is a shame.

Jacks:Revenge
3rd Nov 2009, 08:41 PM
Turning on shadows really kills me though, which is a shame.
wait, so you can't use shadows at all?

I play with everything maxed @ 1680x1050 and the one thing I noticed that seemed to halt my framerate a little was shadows. but all I had to do was turn them from high to medium and problem solved.

Fuzzle
3rd Nov 2009, 08:56 PM
I haven't tried them on low, I was toggling them between off and high and there was just such a massive fps hit that I stuck with off and haven't given it much thought since. I'll have to try out Low once I get a chance to play again.

MachDelta
3rd Nov 2009, 09:05 PM
I've got dynamic shadows turned on, pretty much everything cranked up, running at 1680x1050 on an Q6600/8800GT/2gig system. Can't say the game ever chugged.

Capt.Toilet
3rd Nov 2009, 09:33 PM
I've got dynamic shadows turned on, pretty much everything cranked up, running at 1680x1050 on an Q6600/8800GT/2gig system. Can't say the game ever chugged.

Define chugged. Do you get constant 60 or does it sometimes dip into the 40's? I ask because that is the exact system I have

Slainchild
3rd Nov 2009, 09:42 PM
^Same, except I have 6gb ram. It does drop to the 40's or 30's occasionally. Large built up areas like New/Old Haven are the worst.

Indoor areas like caves and arenas/bunkers are usually a perfect 60 (I have VSync on). Most of the "hub" areas like the Arid Badlands will drop to 50 maybe with a lot in view.

It's pretty impressive that the game runs as well as it does considering the size of terrains and the amount of stuff in some places.

MachDelta
3rd Nov 2009, 09:44 PM
Naw it usually swings between 40 and 50. Dips into the high 30's in Fyrestone or during big firefights. Almost never below 35, and never low enough that I notice it. To me, chugging is when it gets down in the sub 30 range and you start having trouble with input. For a single/co-op game 40-50fps is fine with me as long as it looks good :)

Exus Tecius
3rd Nov 2009, 11:53 PM
i demand a vid (youtube) of my fellow bufers taking down a borderlands boss.

Darkdrium
4th Nov 2009, 02:55 AM
all I had to do was turn them from high to medium and problem solved.What? We are talking about Dynamic Shadows here yes?
How to you go about and set the shadows to "Medium"? All I have is ON or OFF. :s

Juggalo Kyle
4th Nov 2009, 06:55 AM
I just fought Sledge last night....

My buddy at work (360 player) was preaching that Sledge was soo damned hard, and it took him try after try to kill him. I had him dead within 2 minutes.

My friend is a noob. I'm going to inform him of this when I go to work today.

-Jes-
4th Nov 2009, 08:43 AM
My friend is a noob. I'm going to inform him of this when I go to work today.

I beat down Sledge with my bro and cousin. Didn't even take 50 seconds.

Bro and cousin decided to glue themselves to one another though, and died from something splodey, leaving me to get their pansy asses back up! :lol:

MachDelta
4th Nov 2009, 02:46 PM
I dunno about anyone else but I found most of the bosses in this game disappointingly easy. The final boss was a complete letdown. The only guys that ever gave me trouble were Mad Mel and Marley & Moe. Most of the other bosses were either dead easy (Krom, Bone Head, Rakk Hive, Wee Wee, etc) or could be cheaped out (Rakkinishu, Mothrakk, etc). Very few actually felt like fair fights (Skagzilla?) and even then they never really seemed hard. Honestly the most fun and challenging encounters in the game are probably the two Circle of Death arenas. Round 3 of the second circle kicked my ASS the first go, and my second attempt at it I only barely survived. Hell of a fight though.

Oh, and I know this only barely qualifies... but Exus asked so here's a short and boring video of me alone kicking NineToes' ass. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GaoYGvlmI8)

Now someone post a real co-op fight, like Mad Mel or something. :D

shoptroll
4th Nov 2009, 03:02 PM
I laugh every time those Boss screens pop up. The "P.S. You guys aren't friends" one was great. I love how they do that to introduce them.

Same here. I was disappointed when I found out they don't do the same for the side-quest bosses :(

4th Nov 2009, 05:51 PM
All I have is ON or OFF.
you're right.

I was confusing what I just told Fuzzle with what I had just told someone else about another game (Assassins Creed) this week in which shadows were a problem. but I got the games backward and said there was a problem where there wasn't one.

sort of like virtual dyslexia :o

so yes, that didn't help anyone and I was completely wrong.
this is what my Borderlands options look like:
http://i36.tinypic.com/13z0twh.jpg

and it's running @ 1680x1050 and actually I haven't noticed any problems related to dynamic shadows.

Darkdrium
4th Nov 2009, 05:56 PM
What are you running the game on?
Like I said I know that visually this game is a little bit better than UT3, but I can run Warfare maps very fluidly and this is all jittery all over the place each hour of play. :/
And turning on the shadows takes out so much performance...

Dark Pulse
4th Nov 2009, 06:02 PM
Apparently, some of our members do not know we have a [screenshot] BBCode.

4th Nov 2009, 06:03 PM
what am I running it on?
you mean my system specs?

XP Media Center SP3
quad-core @ 2.4
3 gigs RAM
ATI HD4870 w/ 512 onboard

Apparently, some of our members do not know we have a [screenshot] BBCode.
it's already cropped considerably.
apparently, some of our members view the forums with monitors the size of my fist :p

Dark Pulse
4th Nov 2009, 06:06 PM
what am I running it on?
you mean my system specs?

XP Media Center SP3
quad-core @ 2.4
3 gigs RAM
ATI HD4870 w/ 512 onboard

it's already cropped considerably.
apparently, some of our members view the forums with monitors the size of my fist :pThis monitor is 23.5" and pulls 2048x1152. It's still breaking the layout.

Stop being lazy. Edit your post.

4th Nov 2009, 06:19 PM
I did it just for you DP.

just for you.
because I want you to be happy.

your happiness, is my happiness.

Darkdrium
4th Nov 2009, 06:28 PM
ATI HD4870Well I guess that explains the difference :)
Thanks for answering.

Exus Tecius
4th Nov 2009, 08:04 PM
@ machdelta: ty for the vid.gj.game looks pretty idd.

shoptroll
5th Nov 2009, 01:07 AM
The Mad Mel fight was pretty damn annoying but a neat concept. Maybe I was underleveled?

Sir_Brizz
5th Nov 2009, 02:33 AM
I got more slowdowns in the endgame than at Baron's.

-Jes-
5th Nov 2009, 09:20 AM
You gotta wonder why Shadow's an on/off option, and not a off/low/high or the like..

Regardless, you can just tweak it in the willowengine.ini file!

[newbie info]

[SystemSettings]
MinShadowResolution=1024
MaxShadowResolution=1024

(examples: 128 low, 512 med, 1024 high and game default, 2048 max)

[/newbie info]

Good ol' UE(3).
Anyone want to pop a 1024 to 2048 comparison shot, btw? ;)