PDA

View Full Version : UE3 - UT3 mesh particle emitter lighting

brunomartelli
19th Oct 2009, 04:19 PM
Hi

can i get mesh particles to take lighting? or is it just unlit? are there any tutes out there? Im making a lift shaft with broken machinery raining down, is a mesh particle emitter the best way???

tnx in advance

Odedge
20th Oct 2009, 08:52 PM
While I am new at learning emitters, I would presume that they can't be lit (or at least shouldn't be lit). That would take a lot of calculations by the engine, which would slow the game down.

In my tutorial list (see signature), there is a few links that cover emitters. Also, there are some more on the Collector's Edition video tutorials as well.

Another presumption, but I think the mesh emitter might be the best and easiest way to do that. I guess you could do it with interpactors and Matinee, but you would have to set up the movement track for each one.

Bi()ha2arD
21st Oct 2009, 09:19 AM
You could also use KActors. But might be buggy with online replication and might also hit performance without hardware phx acceleration.

Flint
22nd Oct 2009, 03:01 AM
1 Mesh emiters can be lit
2 Particles with masked materials can take lighting too.
3 You can make fake lighting for mesh emitors.

brunomartelli
25th Oct 2009, 09:49 AM
Ok Flint, how do you light mesh emitters? At the moment I'm faking it with a material..

Flint
26th Oct 2009, 05:03 AM
1 Made material
2 import mesh
3 made particle with mesh
:)

http://savepic.org/17565.jpg

brunomartelli
26th Oct 2009, 05:15 AM
ok cool, thanks Flint! (I must be suffering from brain damage...) ill give it a whirl....