Networking Issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Ok so I've been working on setting up the new apartment with WiFi, but I am running into an issue. I am using a DLink DGL4300 with DHCP enabled.

Some of the settings on the router:
Auto Scan Channels
Mixed 802.11b & 802.11g
WPA Personal with WPA & WPA2

I currently have my desktop connected to the router via ethernet. The last time I had this router on my own laptop connected to it with no problems. Both mine and my fiance's iPhones connect to it with no issues. Her POS Dell Inspiron 640m can't connect to it to save my life. I've checked to make sure windows was updated, and I updated her wireless adapter drivers. I've tried connecting via the Intel PROSet/Wireless program and via windows wireless manager. No luck with either of them. The computer's wifi switch IS turned on, and I am using the correct key. The computer will try to acquire a network address, and then it will time out and ask me if I want to connect to another network. Added: Oh yeah, I can connect via ethernet.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
I think you've basically tried both points by using the Intel utility as well as windows wireless zero config..

* If XP, verify that it has SP3, which comes with WPA2 support (only then will the list show WPA2 by the name, if used). If not, XP will appear to connect even though it can't. It will typically hang on getting an IP address, which also applies to the next point:

* Delete the network name from the windows wireless config (if it was remembered) and connect again. You can get to those settings from the same window that shows the list of networks (blabla advanced blabla) .

* You could try a diagnostic utility from Dell.com, which means I'm out of ideas.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Also, make sure the router isn't filtering mac addresses, or if it is, add the 640's to the list. I spent 20 minutes cursing Vista last week when my new laptop wouldn't/couldn't connect to my 4300 before remembering I had mac filtering enabled, sorry Bill. :eek:

It might be worth checking the router's logs each time you try to connect the lappy, it may shed some light on the problem.

Can you ping the router from the laptop?

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Well I did a bit more research and found out the DGL-4300 and Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG when paired together are a big issue. Going to have to find a fix =(

It's funny you should say that. I have a Sony Vaio Z1XMP with an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG and that can be a dick on my local network, especially when it comes to sharing files/folders in the workgroup. It behaves itself when it's connected via cable though. :s

Maybe I've just found an excuse to go shopping for a new N spec router. :D