Section 8 Release Dates Confirmed And More

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, it's been getting close for awhile, but now we have official word on exactly when Section 8 will be burning-in to a PC or Xbox 360 near you:

• North America: September 1st (360) and September 4th (PC)
  • United Kingdom & Asian Pacific: September 11th (PC/360)
  • Europe: September 18th (PC/360)

In addition to that, they've detailed the clan integration for the game, and it's very tight stuff.

• Create a Section 8 clan
  • In game clan tags can be setup to automatically update from the portal
  • Ability to turn on/off recruitment status and review the statistics of your incoming applicants
  • Establish hierarchies within your clan (Recruit, Member, Officer, Leader, etc.) and manage rosters directly from the portal
  • Toggle viewing clan member's e-mail address for coordination outside of the game
[*]Over 50+ unique Leaderboards not available in game, categorized by:
  • Career Statistics (XP, Kills, Deaths, Destructions, Combat, Teamwork, etc.)
  • "In a Life" Records (XP, Teamwork, Combat, Kills, Damage, Captures, Repairs, Defenses, Destruction)
  • Gear "In a Life" Records (Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Knife, etc.)
  • Badges (32x badges)
  • Feats (16x feats)
[*]All Leaderboards can be changed to best "overall" or best "within my clan"
[*]Overall community page that tracks the top players / top clans, as well as tracks continuously updated community wide statistics (ex: most popular map, popular gear, popular loadout, etc.)
[*]A unique player profile page for each user that tracks over 100 unique in-game statistics to the individual that can be set to rank either best "overall" or best "within my clan"
[*]Mutually exclusive statistics for each platform (Xbox 360, PC)
[*]Supports players from all regions (EFIGS)

You can look at the full press release right'chere. And while you're at if, if you've never heard of Section 8, or are awaiting some hands-on previews for it, well, Sir Brizz and I have been playing the game like fiends, and you can read plenty of gameplay details and get a few juicy screenshots, too - all of that waiting in this link here!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The full press release is as follows.

AT-TEN-TION!

Section 8 will be dropping into stores on September 1 for Xbox 360, and September 4 for PC in North America. Then burning into UK/Asia Pacific shelves for both Xbox 360 and PC on September 11, the rest of Europe will get the game September 18.

While that news may seem exciting enough, the below release regarding the game’s clan and statistic portal continues Section 8’s streak of improving and redefining the standards for the first-person shooter genre.

SECTION 8™ OFFERS GROUND-BREAKING CLAN AND STATS PORTAL

Redefining What Gamers Should Expect From Their Multiplayer Games

Midlothian, VA – August 27, 2009 –SouthPeak Games and developer TimeGate Studios are pleased to announce their clan and statistics portal for the upcoming Section 8™ sci-fi FPS. This extremely robust online center offers players unprecedented information and coordination for everything they do in the game. It also allows for full clan management and recruitment. Everything will be accessible at www.joinsection8.com/stats and be available next week when the game ships in North America.

Features:
· Create a Section 8 clan
o In game clan tags can be setup to automatically update from the portal
o Ability to turn on/off recruitment status and review the statistics of your incoming applicants
o Establish hierarchies within your clan (Recruit, Member, Officer, Leader, etc.) and manage rosters directly from the portal
o Toggle viewing clan member’s e-mail address for coordination outside of the game
· Over 50+ unique Leaderboards not available in game, categorized by:
o Career Statistics (XP, Kills, Deaths, Destructions, Combat, Teamwork, etc.)
o “In a Life” Records (XP, Teamwork, Combat, Kills, Damage, Captures, Repairs, Defenses, Destruction)
o Gear “In a Life” Records (Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Knife, etc.)
o Badges (32x badges)
o Feats (16x feats)
· All Leaderboards can be changed to best “overall” or best “within my clan”
· Overall community page that tracks the top players / top clans, as well as tracks continuously updated community wide statistics (ex: most popular map, popular gear, popular loadout, etc.)
· A unique player profile page for each user that tracks over 100 unique in-game statistics to the individual that can be set to rank either best “overall” or best “within my clan”
· Mutually exclusive statistics for each platform (Xbox 360, PC)
· Supports players from all regions (EFIGS)

Section 8 will be available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft on September 1, and for Windows PC on September 4 in North America. Both the Xbox 360 and Windows PC versions will be available on September 11 in the UK and Asia Pacific, and September 18 in the rest of Europe.

For more visit www.joinsection8.com.

About SouthPeak Games
SouthPeak Interactive Corporation develops and publishes interactive entertainment software for all current hardware platforms including: PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, Wii™, Nintendo DS™ and PC. SouthPeak's games cover all major genres including action/adventure, role playing, racing, puzzle strategy, fighting and combat. SouthPeak's products are sold in retail outlets in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. SouthPeak is headquartered in Midlothian, Virginia, and has offices in Grapevine, Texas and Leicester, England.

For a comprehensive investor relations portal complete with fact sheets, presentations, interviews and video (when available), please navigate to: www.trilogy-capital.com/autoir/sopk_autoir.html

For additional information, please visit SouthPeak’s corporate website: www.southpeakgames.com

About TimeGate Studios
TimeGate Studios is a world-class game development studio that boasts a record of huge success since its founding in 1998. Headquartered in Sugar Land, TX, TimeGate has released seven award-winning products; three of which are based on TimeGate-owned intellectual properties. In addition to its Section 8 development efforts, TimeGate is currently creating several new original properties that have yet to be announced for next-generation platforms. For more information please visit www.timegate.com

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Woohoo but no...

Section 8 amongst Global Agenda and Huxley are my best bets to adapt to a new way of online life over the heavy blood losses of the Unreal franchise to be damn honest :(

EDIT: Games For Windows Live? NOooOOOoOOOoo.... :'(

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
EDIT: Games For Windows Live? NOooOOOoOOOoo.... :'(

Same for me, i wont play any games that are Games For Windows Live exclusive out of principle. Unless theyre really, really, really good.

That said, i must say that the clan support looks amazing.
This is what i thought (lets be honest here, its even better than what i could dream of) Epic would implement when they talked about Clan support in UT3.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Same for me, i wont play any games that are Games For Windows Live exclusive out of principle.

Do companies actually realise that they lose sales from using GFWL? :rolleyes:

The GFWL sentence was the last I read in the review. Not interested anymore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Do companies actually realise that they lose sales from using GFWL? :rolleyes:

The GFWL sentence was the last I read in the review. Not interested anymore.
It's really not that bad anymore. I'd much rather companies use it than some of the other turdy crap that ends up backing the multiplayer in their games.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
And given that GfWL is practically part of the OS it will only get better.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
dont really see what's so bad about gfw tbh.

I'm not interested in this game but I don't base my purchase decisions solely on the publisher or what online tech it uses.

As above, i'd take GFW over gamespy anyday.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
When I tried the beta, you needed a Gamespy log-in. Maybe it is tied up with both of them. Couldn't get much worse than M$ and Gamespy in bed together. :lol:

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
I was looking forward to this game but the GFWL is a deal breaker.

The implementation in GoW for PC was an abomination. I can't believe that something could be designed and implemented so poorly on a high profile title.

Never again.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I was looking forward to this game but the GFWL is a deal breaker.

The implementation in GoW for PC was an abomination. I can't believe that something could be designed and implemented so poorly on a high profile title.

Never again.
In what way?

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
In what way?

1. Having to pay for aspects of online play that are free in other games.
2. One of the steps of getting a LiveID account required me to use IE which is disabled on my system. Might have been the password reset when I tried to sign up and told me I had already registered.
3. A joke of a UI that is a direct port from Xbox. I guess they expect to to play any GFWL game with a controller.
4. The GFWL update that required you to quit the game to complete but it didn't tell you that. So I had applied the patch but GFWL kept telling me I had get the latest update in order to play online. Any subsequent update attempts did not complete, even manually installing the update. Had to uninstall the game and reinstall to play online. Had to start the single player campaign from the beginning.
5. I played through 1/3 of the single player campaign and got the hang of it so I wanted to try online play. When you go from offline account to online it deletes your offline profile. Had to start the single player campaign from the beginning (2nd time).
6. GFWL does not track your progress through the game on your online account so when I did an OS reinstall had to start the game from the beginning (3rd time having to start over). Honestly, how many bytes would it possibly take to track your progress on your account? They want you to sign in online for the single player so they can collect stats, but don't give you any benefit.
7. My LiveID stopped working probably due to inactivity so I would have to create another account to play the game. I finally quit here, presumably it would delete the progress in the game yet again.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
1. Having to pay for aspects of online play that are free in other games.....
The 'gold'-variant required for on-line play is 'free' now ... (as a result of not enough people willing to pay for that bit, and a dozen 'free' alternatives)
although expect that paying for additional/extra content will become the norm for pc-games as well.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
1. Having to pay for aspects of online play that are free in other games.
Hasn't applied for over a year.
2. One of the steps of getting a LiveID account required me to use IE which is disabled on my system. Might have been the pashttp://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smileys/laugh.gifsword reset when I tried to sign up and told me I had already registered.
No clue there. I have IE just for cases like this (plus I'm a web developer and have to do testing on it).
3. A joke of a UI that is a direct port from Xbox. I guess they expect to to play any GFWL game with a controller.
They changed the UI in the second or third release (6 months+ ago).
4. The GFWL update that required you to quit the game to complete but it didn't tell you that. So I had applied the patch but GFWL kept telling me I had get the latest update in order to play online. Any subsequent update attempts did not complete, even manually installing the update. Had to uninstall the game and reinstall to play online. Had to start the single player campaign from the beginning.
I agree, although any other game that uses some middleware that needs to be updated has to do it outside of the game, too. I think it's dumb to act like it's going to update in the game and then kick you out of the game, but it also makes sense to me why they do it.
5. I played through 1/3 of the single player campaign and got the hang of it so I wanted to try online play. When you go from offline account to online it deletes your offline profile. Had to start the single player campaign from the beginning (2nd time).
It doesn't "delete" your offline profile, it just doesn't copy the data from your offline profile to your online profile. This is an anti-hacking protection more than anything.
6. GFWL does not track your progress through the game on your online account so when I did an OS reinstall had to start the game from the beginning (3rd time having to start over). Honestly, how many bytes would it possibly take to track your progress on your account? They want you to sign in online for the single player so they can collect stats, but don't give you any benefit.
Sure, but frankly, NO games do this (unless you count the small number of games on Steam Cloud).
7. My LiveID stopped working probably due to inactivity so I would have to create another account to play the game. I finally quit here, presumably it would delete the progress in the game yet again.
I don't know anything about this really. I don't know what their policy on inactivity are, though I certainly don't agree with their policies in relation to that in some regards.

Anyway, I don't think GFWL is perfect or that all games should use it, but there aren't many middleware systems I would rather people use if they are going to use one. And I sure as heck would prefer it over Gamespy.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
The 'gold'-variant required for on-line play is 'free' now ... (as a result of not enough people willing to pay for that bit, and a dozen 'free' alternatives)
although expect that paying for additional/extra content will become the norm for pc-games as well.
I wonder what will happen when more people start using it. No scratch that we all know what MS will do.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm pretty sure as long as there is something to compete with GFWL (meaning, forever) that it will remain free.