Spider/proxy mines for UT99?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Chaos has those smiley bombs, but those are a little... obnoxious. UT2K4's spidermines, on the other hand, were totally fluffy and adorable. Anyway.

Not specifically asking for the EXACT weapons from 2K4 (that'd be cool if they were backported by someone, though), but any sort of nicely done proxy mine type things, or deployable sentries, or anything good for base defense in CTF, really.

Bonus points if bots work with it.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Well, if you want AI styled weapons, you have:

- Still in Chaos UT: Some sort of turret you can spawn (don't remember the name, but it's cool) - Bot support: Idk, really, but I think they know at least to deploy it.

- There is already a weapon pack with proxy spider mines, I think in U4E (I am not sure), they are really cool as well (they don't look fluffy like in UT2004, they look mostly like bombs with legs) - Bot support: idk for sure.

- There's also a modified Flak Cannon which is a simple mine deployer (which gave me inspiration to do my own mines deploying weapon), and it has some bot support I believe.

- Then you have my pack (Nali Weapons), which has a mine deploying weapon and another deploying weapon that deploys "cybots" (little robots that come out from eggs and then attack their enemies from their position, and you have several types of them depending on how much ammo you have).
About bot support, they still don't know how to use them right (they place them in random places atm, something that will be improved in the final version).

But since you're looking for just 1 weapon, I think U4E and Nali Weapons are too big in filesize for your needs :\
So basically you have the Chaos UT and that modified Flak if you want something more "light".

War_Master

May 27, 2005
UT is pretty much dead and CTF is just full of botters since the anticheat were never updated. Making a mod like this to make one person happy would be pretty much useless. I really don't see the point of making the whole UT2k4 weapon conversion by seeing how dead this game is going by the days. In my opinion, it would be a waste of time and money doing so.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
UT is pretty much dead and CTF is just full of botters since the anticheat were never updated. Making a mod like this to make one person happy would be pretty much useless. I really don't see the point of making the whole UT2k4 weapon conversion by seeing how dead this game is going by the days. In my opinion, it would be a waste of time and money doing so.

Full of botters? Interesting, I still play many times online (in many different servers) and rarelly I see a botter (and botters are easy to identify). If UT was dead, this section wouldn't be so active, as many UT forums out there, and mostly, servers. :eek:

Guys like you make those assumptions without actually playing the game nowadays and discourage new modders and players to play and code for this game :shake:

There are still mods being developed for UT, and still I didn't see UT that dead, and this:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/
proves what I am saying (a UT file in 3rd place in the most popular should say something) :rolleyes:

Anything that people want to produce for UT is worth it, and I know by first hand, so basically I think you either hate this game now, or you simply want to bury it (you and some more guys out there), but either ways you should never discourage anyone doing something for an old game. The OP asked for a weapon, answer with a weapon, not like that. ;)

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Also I was asking for a weapon with bot support anyway so it's not like I care if I can use it online (and it's not like a lot of servers run weapon mutators anyway).

Anyway, Nali Weapons 2 looks really good, and, uh... the modeling is of a higher quality than U4E's, I'd reckon. I'll keep an eye on this.

Although looking at screenshots it appears that may've changed a bit since I last played U4E...

Just curious, where do I get the modified flak cannon mutator, anyway?

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Also I was asking for a weapon with bot support anyway so it's not like I care if I can use it online (and it's not like a lot of servers run weapon mutators anyway).
So, your point is mostly for practise sessions then. In that case, I think if you want spiders U4E is the way to go imo, and the Flak Mine as well.

Anyway, Nali Weapons 2 looks really good, and, uh... the modeling is of a higher quality than U4E's, I'd reckon. I'll keep an eye on this.

Although looking at screenshots it appears that may've changed a bit since I last played U4E...
Maybe you're looking at the UT2004 version of U4E lol
Either ways, U4E still owns, mostly in UT2004 imo :D
About the UT version of them, go here: http://www.u4ebasement.8k.com/index7.htm
I looked at their console commands (since it's one the last things left on the site) and they have indeed that spider weapon. :)

Just curious, where do I get the modified flak cannon mutator, anyway?
The only place I found it was in:
http://ut.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y?cat=search&author=Mr. Mitchell

It's a very nice mine deployer (I specially like the deploying effect).

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I want orbital bombardment as weapon (UT2k4 target painter). I really despise the Spider Mines - horrible horrible horrible. And annoying.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
you might want to quit the flaming and personal attacks towards me out of hate because I caught your boy doing what was so wrong and disrespectful to the modders he did it to and others that left because of him.

Full of botters? Interesting, I still play many times online (in many different servers) and rarelly I see a botter (and botters are easy to identify). If UT was dead, this section wouldn't be so active, as many UT forums out there, and mostly, servers. :eek:
you clearly don't play ctf when every server has a huge list of these cheaters and most of them cannot get caught due to their experience using the cheats. And no, the new bots are not easy to identify and you clearly don't know a thing and go off pretending to. :rolleyes:

Guys like you make those assumptions without actually playing the game nowadays and discourage new modders and players to play and code for this game :shake:
Falsely accusing me and others by making these senseless "assumptions" when you don't even know or can prove that I play the game or not seems very naive. you should ask your boy what happened when he first subscribed here and why all the known modders that came here disappeared. Actually, I know 2 of them and the reason why they never realeased any of their work here was because of your boy you defend so much. you even came here to defend him by personally attacking me with whatever opinion I have on these forums since your boy won't show his face here any longer out of the shame of what he did. :eek:

There are still mods being developed for UT, and still I didn't see UT that dead, and this:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/
proves what I am saying (a UT file in 3rd place in the most popular should say something) :rolleyes:
A link to your friends' mappackage means nothing and of course these forums don't support every mod for all the UT games anyway. I would say that the ZP mod is the most downloaded mod ever but you don't see it listed there do you...

Anything that people want to produce for UT is worth it, and I know by first hand, so basically I think you either hate this game now, or you simply want to bury it (you and some more guys out there), but either ways you should never discourage anyone doing something for an old game. The OP asked for a weapon, answer with a weapon, not like that. ;)
Yet another "assumption", probably out of your own experience I would say. Just because you made a weapon that can't be played at more than 10fps in a pc that doubles the minimum requirements of this game, doesnt mean you can come here and tell people what to do or not. What you don't want to realize is that modders just like any other person move on, maybe to another game or a newer engine but that doesn't mean you can come blame a person for the decisions others make in their life. Also, you can't either come dictate of what a person should do here or try to force them into living in your dreams. With this been said, I think its time for you accept Reality.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
you might want to quit the flaming and personal attacks towards me out of hate because I caught your boy doing what was so wrong and disrespectful to the modders he did it to and others that left because of him.
Flaming and personal attacks? My boy? Man, you should really listen yourself :lol:
Where did I flamed you or personally attacked you in any way or form? And my boy? Wtf are you talking about? Oo
From what I see in your post, I didn't flame you, but you are indeed flaming me and other whatever guy that I don't even know by that sense.
I just explained my point of view regarding UT, as you weren't helping the OP in any way.
If you look closelly to what you wrote at first, and to what I wrote also replying to you, you see I didn't have and still don't have any intentions of flaming anyone or attack like you are saying.
But as I don't go lower to that level, I won't flame you like you did to me in that post. So if you want to say anything personally, I sugest the PM system, and not the public forums.

Also, from what I already saw, anyone that says the game doesn't worth new mods since it's pretty much dead, doesn't play the game online regularly to make such statements. It's like saying the apple doesn't worth to be eaten but still you will eat it? It's too damn ilogical to me.
Even because, I am registered in some of the most active forums regarding the most active CTF servers nowadays, and I never saw anyone saying modding is not worth and still play the game online, when it was always the modding that kept this game alive for so long, not the game itself. Think about it, so like you see I am not naive, I don't say things without thinking first, I am not like that.

And the bots I am most concerned are aimbots and radars (the most common ones), and you can easilly identify aimbots if they are indeed used (that's why some servers rely mostly in look, screen and demo to prove the aimbotting than in the anticheat reports).

A link to your friends' mappackage means nothing and of course these forums don't support every mod for all the UT games anyway. I would say that the ZP mod is the most downloaded mod ever but you don't see it listed there do you...
ZP most downloaded ever? Most USED, that's for sure, but since the main purpose is for servers, most server admins download it and use it, but "clients" usually download ZP only to test anything online, or just because some don't get the concept of ZP and want to test it offline, or just because it has some cool features in it.
But about downloads, I would dare to say ZP is mostly downloaded from the gaming servers and not from hosting websites. But still, thinking about it you might be right there about zp.
Also, the point is not our mappack in the list, but the fact a NEW UT mod is still highly downloaded, something that shouldn't happen is such DEAD game like YOU said. So by saying that, you are just proving my point.

Yet another "assumption", probably out of your own experience I would say. Just because you made a weapon that can't be played at more than 10fps in a pc that doubles the minimum requirements of this game, doesnt mean you can come here and tell people what to do or not. What you don't want to realize is that modders just like any other person move on, maybe to another game or a newer engine but that doesn't mean you can come blame a person for the decisions others make in their life. Also, you can't either come dictate of what a person should do here or try to force them into living in your dreams. With this been said, I think its time for you accept Reality.
Damn man :eek: You are just so concentrated in attacking me that you bring my mods into discussion, and here you start talking about real life itself? Damn, I only talked about the game and my point of view regarding online servers and the game life, nothing more, and you come here with my mods and real life into discussion. Also, where did I blame ANY modder for moving on into newer engines? If they move on, that's just positive, and personally I don't have nothing to do with their lifes, so you better stop make up such statements.

Like I said and I repeat: you did nothing more than say to quit instead of help this guy. When I see a game almost dead but still people posting about it, I won't go there and say "game is dead, quit your projects", unless there's a very similar engine that is more worthable to do such project (like UT2004 instead doing for UT2003 for example). In those cases, I don't even bother to post, and you should do the same in those cases imo.

Now if you have something against me, PM button is there, although I would like to know who "my boy" is afterall, because that one I really didn't get it.

LondonDryGin

Nov 24, 2008
you clearly don't play ctf when every server has a huge list of these cheaters and most of them cannot get caught due to their experience using the cheats. And no, the new bots are not easy to identify and you clearly don't know a thing and go off pretending to. :rolleyes:

I wonder who's pretending what.
I am, respectively I was playing CTF on a very high level and I was fairly competitive to say the least. In all those years, I can't recall more than two cases were any of the top guys got caught (I'm talking about clanbase here). It usually were the lower div guys who installed cheats out of frustration. Their thinking that everyone who beats them must be cheating leads to a very dangerous mindset.
Also, as an admin of 2 very popular servers I agree with you that experienced cheaters can hide their cheats quite good but not always. I've only had one case so far where I was sure the guy is cheating but I/we couldn't prove it. Unfortunately, he was American and and the chance of him playing on a European server with the newest utdc beta was quite slim. But, one day he decided to play on that specific server and got immediately caught with his newest cheat that he bought from one of the famous cheating sites.

Long story short

You proved in your past postings that you are quite a paranoid character. So I highly doubt there's a point in arguing with you. I don't even know why I wrote this down as I am sure self-reflection is not your strong point.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
reply via PM?
...and yet you failed to comply. I also see that you like to have the last words after flaming and attacking the person you dislike and then you try to get them to respond via pm so others wont know... thats kind of like throwing a rock at someone and then run away lol.

you accuse a person and then you say you didn't and then make up stories about it. Are you Bipolar or something? Just to let you know, I don't forget what you posted before which links to this you're writing now. If someone gives an opinion just live with it because that's what the forums are here for. You clearly haven't been here long to make claims about what have been discussed or not.

I see you go off calling people a "boy" when you're mad and yet you claim to think before you write when all I see is an impulsive negative response towards the offended. Did you get traumatized with that somewhere in the way of your life? Well, let me advice that you could get psychological help for that problem and that attitude of yours.

You proved in your past postings that you are quite a paranoid character. So I highly doubt there's a point in arguing with you. I don't even know why I wrote this down as I am sure self-reflection is not your strong point.
You sir, you say you have prove that I'm a paranoid person. Are you a psychologist to prove this claim of me as a patient of yours? if not, then that really tells a lot about yourself specially when you said something and then regret saying it.

Anyways, I suggest an admin locks this thread before these fellows go any further, when things like this are just a waste of time to the forumers.

And also, my apologies to the thread starter for defending myself from this fellow that just hijacked it for his personal agenda.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
reply via PM?
...and yet you failed to comply. I also see that you like to have the last words after flaming and attacking the person you dislike and then you try to get them to respond via pm so others wont know... thats kind of like throwing a rock at someone and then run away lol.
Yes, reply via PM. In case you haven't noticed, the PM system exists for several reasons, one of them is to avoid this kind of BS in public threads.
It's not about others not knowing the PM, it's about not have this type of discussions in public threads. This kind of discussion is done really via PM, xfire, msn, whatever, but not in forum threads, but it seems you are used to have this kind of conversation in threads instead (a bad habit I must say then). So I say it again: if you have anything against me in specific for some reason, tell me via PM, or if you feel happy you can say it right here, but you are the only one who will look bad, not me.

you accuse a person and then you say you didn't and then make up stories about it. Are you Bipolar or something? Just to let you know, I don't forget what you posted before which links to this you're writing now. If someone gives an opinion just live with it because that's what the forums are here for. You clearly haven't been here long to make claims about what have been discussed or not.
Wtf has being here long or for short period of time with this specific thread? In case you haven't noticed, you're the only one heavilly flaming anyone who contradicts you here.
Also, where did I make up stories? All you said has absolutelly no sense at all.
And you still talk about a whatever post or thread somewhere, which I still didn't get it, but it seems you got severally hurt with it for some reason.

I see you go off calling people a "boy" when you're mad and yet you claim to think before you write when all I see is an impulsive negative response towards the offended. Did you get traumatized with that somewhere in the way of your life? Well, let me advice that you could get psychological help for that problem and that attitude of yours.
WTF number 2: I go off calling people a "boy"? I really laughed hard about this one :lol:
You were the one saying something about me "defending my boy" or something in your own post LMAO And I just wanted to know about who the hell were you talking about and when? And I am still wondering about that (who and when).
So who's the one making up things now, hein? :lol:

Anyways, I suggest an admin locks this thread before these fellows go any further, when things like this are just a waste of time to the forumers.

And also, my apologies to the thread starter for defending myself from this fellow that just hijacked it for his personal agenda.
:lol: Have you noticed you were the one starting this BS the way it is going now? Have you noticed that an actual person came here just to teach you something about nowadays CTF servers that you were obviouslly mistaken?
Great defending there (which = flaming for you I guess). But like I said previously, I won't lower myself to your level of conversation, you simply don't worth it, like LondonDryGin said. :lol:
Personally I didn't have absolutelly anything against you (and I don't even know where did you get that idea from), but now you are indeed in my troll list (which is very damn little, just you too see how "hatefull" I am ;) ).
So if you like to say something, go ahead, this was my last post regarding this sh*t.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Continue, if you must, through private messaging or I'm nuking all the related posts. First and only warning.

And as for those chaos mines: Yes, they were a tad obnoxious. But so random and silly. I've had quite a few good laughs with these wmd's. =)

I haven't played U4E in ages. I can slightly remember what those spider mines looked like. Because I mainly stuck to the katana, axe, shotgun and QSG.

Last edited:

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
You know, kinda funny, but I don't think I actually remember the bots in 2K4 ever using spiders or proxies in onslaught, and they definitely don't if you use that mutator that puts them in other gametypes. Which is a shame cause they really could be a lot of fun for base defense purpose.

In regards to automated defense stuff, though, I seem to recall there being a way to make auto-sentries from Chaos more... findable, instead of replacing redeemer spawns. Which aren't really on CTF or Dom maps much anyway from what I remember.

I should probably just get stuffswapper for that. ChaosUT's weapon cycling never works anyway, cause it spawns the wrong ammo for whatever weapon's currently being spawned. Except stuffswapper only recognizes ChaosUT GOTY and not the more recent version so no ERDW or other fun things what the heck >:/

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Exus, there were a few MH maps using the U4eT weapons and there used to be a server called Death's server that was fully U4eT weapons... you missed it. :( I do have a couple of the maps and can send them to you if you want to.

I played in a server that had the spider mines weapon in the CTF-FaceClassic map. When playing there I noticed that people weren't getting the flag at all so I tried to go for it and found out that most players were just camping in spots they can't be seen shooting those spider mines all over the base lol. Any attempt of getting the flag would fail because you had to go through those mines either way and even if you shot them off the campers were ready to spawn more anyway. The game became mostly DM since there was no way of getting a cap and I thought it was very annoying so I just went to look for a server that didn't have that gun :lol:

I do think that a conversion of the spider mine weapon would be very nice but with a limited amount of spiders per team would prevent the spamming of spiders in order to keep players more interested with the weapon. I know that the VortexLauncher weapon limits the number of vortexes over all and probably has the answer to limiting the spiders if the weapon was to be converted. As for the bot use, I wouldn't worry about that with a weapon like this one since it is more of a human only weapon though.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Actually, kind of experimented with a similar idea using ChaosUT and Stuffswapper. My idea is to give EVERYONE a turret spawner as a starting weapon, and set the turrent limit fairly low. However, it'd work really well if I could set a per-team limit.

But I am wondering. If there was a global turret limit of one, that'd mean only one team at a time could have a turret up at once. Say you balanced this out by giving them a really low max ammo cap, so that they'd either time out quick or need constant reloading. Maybe add a new level of strategy that's not so much about PLACING turrents but about controlling the one turret you have. It'd still be based on whoever could deploy first though. I dunno.

2K4's mines really are more balanced for onslaught. In a closed-in CTF map, it's sort of hard to defend against them, and they'd be really... stalemate inducing. The advantage with Chaos' proxies in cTF is that they're slow and erratic enough to dodge reasonably, and not quite so damaging.

So again, I'm thinking what if you had something like I was doing with the turret? Only one team could have spidermines at any given time. And easy way to limit spamminess of them would be to just remove ammo pickups, so you get whatever the gun starts with and that's it.

I'm thinking some sort of transferable, randomly placed relic might work for determining who gets control of turrets and mines and whatever.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
UT always appears to be dead around this time of the year, it'll start picking up slowly now that school has started again, but winter is when it'll pick up the most (school + less people go outdoors due to cold weather)