[Microscopes] Need some practical info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
If possible.

Ok, here's the deal. I've always been interested in the world "invisible" to our naked eye. Especially in my childhood years.

But I never really got around to buying a required microscope.

Clearly, I'm a novice at this :p I'm always willing to learn, and when I've taken a keen interest into something... well I can hardly let it go :)

So, what I need here is some practical info on what exactly I could use. Which type of microscope would be suitable for a beginnner such as myself. Don't get me wrong, I've been browsing quite a few sites and it gave me and idea so far.

Though iirc some of you use a microscope as a work related "item". For example. What would you suggest.

Naturally this possible purchase would be hobby related. Just like to emphasis this. Obvious as it might be.

Thank you for any pointers/aid/push in the right direction.

Last edited:

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
If you want to look at microscopic things you need to know a little bit about preparing sample slides to be viewed. Are you wanting to look at stuff like blood cells? or just plants and bugs? Bodily fluids usually need to be prepared in some way as well as carefully handled.

Naturally you would want one with a rotating nose piece for fun zoomy zoom times. An adjustable stage platform is also important, as well as stage location markers (little grid markers things that give you coordinates to find certain cells later, if you are looking around) and you will definitely need stuff to clean and maintain it.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
More plants and bugs. Surfaces of stones f.e. enhancing an image 100 up to perhaps 400times. I wouldn't mind viewing the structure of f.e. a finger nail.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Do you have much experience using microscopes? Ever done any sample collecting before? These are two I found in a couple minutes as suggestions.

http://www.microscope-shop.com.au/html/binocular_details_0.html
This first one is on the expensive side, but it comes with the location markers I mentioned as well as offering up to x1000 zoom, which is necessary for viewing things like blood cells (good if you decide to move onto that sort of thing later on, doesn't have to be human blood remember). I personally hate binocular eyepieces though, they mess with my head.

http://www.microscope-shop.com.au/html/monoculardetails_3.html
This one is probably more what you are looking for, though.

The best thing would be a portable battery powered unit (take that mofo outdoors with you!), adjustable stage, fine and coarse focus for when you use x400. For plants it also helps to have an adjustable condenser so you can change the contrast of the image. Otherwise you will just see right through some stuff.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
No I've hardly any experience. Read about it through the years, "used" one but that was a long time ago and probably very brief. But that won't discourage me. I'm looking for a good step in model, but not sure which one would apply most. That's why I'm in need of some extra advice. Can never hurt.

Thank you for the helpfull info so far Fat cam.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
You should see if you can get into a tech college that offers a microscopy course or something. You get to do a lot of sweet stuff and get some practice (and possibly a qualification which is always nice).

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The world at microscopic level is fascinating and somewhat creepy.
Looking at stuff even at 200X magnification is totally f*cked up man.

Lruce

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Just one hint from someone who had two microscopes: Don't buy one of those cheap ones, that use a mirror as light source. At least have one that has a build in lamp to illuminate the glass samples.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
We used some pretty pro microscopes at my place of education, to check out plants. Actually seeing the insides of a cell is pretty weird.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
plasmaspermpackage.jpg

It should be around $60.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Thanks for the tip TheAbyss. As for the price, course I wouldn't want to buy something overly expensive. I'd be mad. As long as it isn't over 9000. Yeah, I'm thinking about the camera bit.

I'm taking my time.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
A few years ago on one of my odd ball summer jobs I was fortunate to work with a world renowned anthropologist & professor. One of the perks was having access to a $15k microscope.

The image quality was outstanding! Binocular attachment is a must have. Everything was fine until I dug out the camera adapter which could be used at the same time as the binocular attachment. Kick ass right?

Any pixel peeping photographer knows that lens quality must be very high to prevent barrel distortion, chromatic aberrations, and loss of color contrast. Unfortunately this is where the microscope turned into crap.

Objects under the scope where more in focus in the center than on the outer edge. Chromatic aberrations where horrifying and unfixable in post. It was best to simply turn the photo into BW and suck it up.

My point is that you should really take your time and do a lot of research into optical quality if your endgame is going to involve photography.

I would have loved to do some photography like you see on this website: http://www.exploratorium.edu/imaging_station/gallery.php?Section=Introduction

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Remember that Transformer that turned into a fully functional microscope?

That was the first one I owned, It cost my father 40 dollars and and 5 minutes of whining:
"I'll never ask you for anything ever again!!!"

Little did he know, I still would demand his unending love and attention.
I think we threw that now collectors item in trash a few months later.

BAH
Children are dumb.
________
Children depakote

Last edited: