[TV] Stargate Universe

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I'm sure some guys here hate stargate but i've just heard about this new series. I thought the franchise was coming to a complete stop and then i Hear of a new series... a new series with Robert Carlysle in it? I'm up for that! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlYsnMoAwk

I guess Atlantis was more of a Deep space nine equivalent and now we have a Voyager equivalent. Heh heh :) I've not seen battlestar galactica(yet) but i'm guessing there's a nod in that direction too.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I've really enjoyed watching Stargate atlantis. Sure, it has its silly and very incredible moments (it's all so surreal), but it kept my interest going. The further it "alienated" or seperated itself from stargate sg1, the better the episodes turned out to be imho.
Stargate sg1 was very dull.

I'll check this new series out, see if it works :)

Edit: Just watched the trailer, I'm not really convinced. Looks very cliché. And that guy with the curly hair instantly irritated me. Lou diamond philips is in there as well.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
One view of this is that this is just more of the same, a rehash with differently named but essentially similar characters. Yawn.

The other view of this is that is this just more of the same, a rehash with differently named but essentially similar characters. Hurrah!

Fortunately for me, I'm in the latter camp. When does the DVD come out? :)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
One view of this is that this is just more of the same, a rehash with differently named but essentially similar characters. Yawn.

Just about every scifi show is comprised of 5 main characters. Its a long lasting and successful formula.

The Warrior (Teal'c, Worf, Tayla)
The Doctor (Macoy, Bashier, Fraisier)
The Leader (Wier, O'neal, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, Sisko)
The Scientist (McKay, Carter, Jackson, Laforge)
The oddball character (Odo, Data, 7of9) Always has a mysterious past.

Sometimes you get a mixing of character types to create something more interesting. Teal'c was both oddball and a warrior. Carter was both warrior and scientist. Dr. Who is all of the above. Probably why he is so interesting.

Moving on...

I was sad to see SGA go. I was excited to hear that they will be doing a new show. I'm unsure about the show at this point as it doesn't look all that great. I'll give the show a shot when it comes out. I felt the same way about SGA before it came out.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I'm not too sure on SG:U at the moment. Seems a bit off what I like about SG1. But I'll judge it nearer the time I guess. Currently working through all the series of SG1 to fill in all the missing gaps from watching it on TV :p
Not watched Atlantis at all yet.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Just about every scifi show is comprised of 5 main characters. Its a long lasting and successful formula.

The Warrior (Teal'c, Worf, Tayla)
The Doctor (Macoy, Bashier, Fraisier)
The Leader (Wier, O'neal, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, Sisko)
The Scientist (McKay, Carter, Jackson, Laforge)
The oddball character (Odo, Data, 7of9) Always has a mysterious past.

I'm suprised you put Tayla in the warrior role when Ronan is in that series and compares to Worf and Teal'c way better. Though i agree and noticed such things myself.

The nifty thing about SG:U, to which i only know what's in the trailer as of yet, is that it looks grittier, a little less silly at times and a bit different. From what i can tell i don't think the stargate is such a central pivot for the episodes, more that they're stuck on a spaceship and lost in space.
I like SG's sillyness and stuff but we have over a dozen series of various SG related stuff now, we should be able to move in a different direction and either way it looks good. Also Robert Carlysle is a kind of british ninja genius!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yes you're right. He passed the test but never joined. (Thinking of the other sheppard in the alternate universe - mckay & ms. miller episode)

(that's why I used brackets. Actually, he's supposed to be some sort of mathematical genius ...?)

Latent Image

Bring the rain!
Jun 3, 2001
Zer0's Anus
Will be interesting to see if its any good, not sure about that 'comic relief' character, seems a bit of a d***.

For those wanting something new get off your ass and develop a sucessful series.

Mar 6, 2004
yawn, I want something new.

What do you think this series is? they are lost in space with no way home.

As for Tayla being a warrior...LOL!!!! Ronan is the warrior in Atlantis, the guy is friggin awesome! once i watched Sateda i am like "oh hell yeah, respect for this guy". I loved the Ronin vs Teal'c fight in that 1 episode. Tayla is more of a "wtf does she do for the team???" character, just like Vala from SG1.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
What do you think this series is? they are lost in space with no way home.

As for Tayla being a warrior...LOL!!!! Ronan is the warrior in Atlantis, the guy is friggin awesome! once i watched Sateda i am like "oh hell yeah, respect for this guy". I loved the Ronin vs Teal'c fight in that 1 episode. Tayla is more of a "wtf does she do for the team???" character, just like Vala from SG1.

Well, she's proved her fighting skills in "missing" f.e.
But yeah, Ronon was more of a warrior than anyone else.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
I didn't like Stargate Atlantis. The characters felt like wooden facsimilies of the SG1 crew.

If you're after a "different" kind of Sci-Fi then I'd track down Farscape, which has some of the actors from the latter Stargate shows but also are more unique. Nothing will ever be as good as Farscape IMO.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Moving on...
Also known as the Five man band

// ---
Stargate:Universe ... or how it should be named : "Stargate: Voyager".
Expect the same tacky plots about 'failing technology' and 'limited resources' in the first season, which magically dissappear once it becomes too annoying.
The only potentiallly positive bit is that they don't have a captain that forces them to stick to the 'prime directive' at any cost.

There's the predictable scientist vs army-dude fighting that can be considered a trademark of the Stargate-series. Cue a number of episodes including the pilot in which the 'scientist is right' and a few 'the army-dude learns that science is cool/scientists learns the value of killing stuff'.

Biggest flaw in the concept : explaining why they can't go home over and over again ...
Like the 'limited resource'-concept this gets old very fast considering the amount of scientists and alien-technology they'll stumble upon during their quest.

Also consider the implications for Earth if they ever do make it home.

What will stop these people from settling down and chosing survival over a million to 1 shot at ever seeing home again ?
Wouldn't it be logical to settle down and start a new society ?