UE3 - UT3 How to get the source code running in the UT3 Editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
Um, What?

You mean custom actors? Or to compile custom things?

You can't run Source Code unless its compiled and then loaded and placed within the editor

wwwRAELorg

Intelligent Design Atheist
Jul 26, 2009
www.rael.org
I've compiled the source code and created a *.u file, but it won't run from the editor when I click the joystick button (the button that plays the level). How do you place it within the editor?

wwwRAELorg

Intelligent Design Atheist
Jul 26, 2009
www.rael.org
I'm a programmer who works on the Unreal Script source code. This source code provides two default weapons for AI bots and checks if a specific building is captured. If the building is captured, then the player(s) receive bonuses from that building. The level designers/editors run their specific levels in the editor using the unreal editor by clicking on the joystick button running on the top right (the hint balloon states "Play this level in the editor window. Holding ctrl will play in spectator mode"). What the level designers want is when they play their levels in the editor windows, they also want to see the programming changes (the bots with their default weapons and the bonuses when the players capture the building). That's what I'm I'm trying to figure out. I hope this provide an adequate explanation or if there's something to need to be further explained, please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
Ah Ok then :)

Its nice and simple to place things in the editor. Open up the Generic Browser. On the top of that you should see some tabs. Go to the tab called "Actor Classes". Then depending on what you subclassed (I.E a Navigation Point) you will need to go and click the + Next to the parents name, then work your way down until you find your Actor. Once you have, click on it so it is highlighted.

Minimize that and go back into the main viewport. Right click where you will want your actor to be (make sure you right click on something besides the black nothingness) and then it will come up with a little window. Go down on that window until you see Add Actor then your actor's name (Ex: Add Actor UTWeaponFactory). Then your actor will be placed within the map.

You should then see it in your map at be able to test it out. Although to be 100% sure I would load up UT3 and play it within there if you encounter bugs.

For Default Weapons you can specify that within code in the Pawn class.

Also if you update your code, the map will use the new version so theres no worries about having to replace the actor after you update.

Techgnostic

Aug 7, 2009
Playing in the editor doesn't initiate code

Hi,

I'm the Associate producer for this project. I think what our programmer is trying to communicate is the issue that the code modifications his has made aren't initiated when the level designers play their levels within the editor.

For example, when playing a cooked level in the UT3 game shows that player health is increased by 25 pts ever 60 secs, as the code modifications prescribe; however, if the same uncooked level is run/tested from within the editor, no effect occurs.

What we need is to know if this is something we can change. Our goal is to have the code initiate and show its affects from within the UT3 editor.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
I think I know the problem there. The mod is looking for the Compiled .U file in the Published directory. I'm not sure if this switch works with the editor, but its worth a shot. Add
-useunpublished to the shortcut and it if the editor uses it, should use the .u from the unpublished directory.

You could always put it in the main C:\Program Files\UT3\UTGame\CookedPC Directory. Thats what I do. You shouldn't really do this, but it works just fine for developing.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
Also, I believe that when you run the level in that way it uses the "default gametype" for that level. If your modifications rely on a certain class of GameInfo you may need to change the default gametype.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
There's a line to change in UTEngine.ini in order to get the play-in-editor (PIE) feature to work for a custom gametype. Locate the InEditorGameURLOptions line and change it as in the example below.

[UTEditor.UTUnrealEdEngine]
InEditorGameURLOptions=?game=MyPackage.MyGametype?quickstart=1?numplay=1

Seems like you have to rebuild your map after that to get it to work right.

Techgnostic

Aug 7, 2009
Thanks Danny,

Your addition does seem to change things. I'm still testing to see if all the effects are showing in the editor. Question? This wouldn't affect the ability to cook, correct?

Thanks again for all of your input. It is much appreciated.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
You can cook your maps and everything as normal. The only difference I have noticed when playing in the editor is that I have to hit the + key a few times to get all the HUD elements to show up.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I've never used it, but I believe the Kismet action "Set Property" is for this purpose. If you have a kismet handle to the actor which contains the int variable you are interested in, I believe you can use "Set Property", type in the variable name in the action's PropertyName field, and look at "Int" output.

Techgnostic

Aug 7, 2009
Hi Danny et all,

@ Danny
Thanks so much for your assistance. We were able to get the events trigger working in the game.