What would you do?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
It appears that I might be owning (or atleast running) a multi-million dollar business in California soon.

I have never run a business and I have no clue where to start.

Should I sell the business? Should I try to run it with the chance of running it into the ground due to inexperience?

It would require me to be on the Energy board of California aswell, I think.

It's a huge change in my life and frankly, I have no clue what to do. I've been thinking about it, and I think I need some help with this.

Any advice?

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Congrats man this is truly great news :D. Though to sort out any advice Im sure you'd have to share some details as to the nature of your business.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I think you need some professional advice for this Jackal.
Coming to the Off Topic forum on a games site is hardly the place to advise you on how to run a multi million dollar company.
This does highlight your obvious inexperience though.

Lruce

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I think you need some professional advice for this Jackal.

I'll echo that. Before taking any decision, I'd go see accounting to find out how healthy the company is. If it's doing ok, you could have the opportunity of a lifetime. Of course, it might be a poison apple too. For example, my mom and aunt refused inheritance on some russian relatives that we didn't know as it could have brought more debt than gain.

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Here's what you do. Increase productivity and morale all at the same time by hiring cage girls! You could have a few cages hanging above the cubes for example, but you'd want cages in all employee areas.

In all seriousness, for the sake of people who have jobs in said company you should bring in someone with experience in this as a consultant... It'll either get ya on your feet with it, or help you decide to sell it. Either way you win.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
1. Don't hire any of your friends.

2. You could look into hiring somebody that has experience with running said stuff.

3. Look into selling it, and then doing something smart with the money so that it keeps making you money before you even spend a penny of it.

How exactly did this happen?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
3. Look into selling it, and then doing something smart with the money so that it keeps making you money before you even spend a penny of it.

Keeping some shares might be an interesting move also.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Being as how California has the highest deficit and one of the higher unemployments out there, get that business up and running so people can get paid. Then they can pay the government and make California suck less.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, I'm also a little curious how you came about 'acquiring' said company.
It's not everyday someone gives away a multi-million dollar company (unless it's your old man who's handing over the reigns)
Next best thing to a lottery win I would say but a little more info would fill in some missing blanks on this 'unusual' development.

Lruce

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
Jackal, are you seriously asking advice from people in here? As Sjosz state, nobody in here is qualified to give any.

It seems more logical that you are just telling us about what's going on in your life. Don't get me wrong, that's cool and all...

If I were you, I would hire someone else who has a ****ton of experience to run it, while you go back to school and get an education in business (that is, if you really want to keep it)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Definately don't mention the company here.
I once asked for some web design help on an off topic section of a random forum and the question ranked higher on google than the company. :( not good.

Lol yeah that's really unprofessional looking. :p

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
wise men would hire someone else to run it, and then just turn up once every few weeks to keep an eye on things, and spend the rest of your time retired at a young age.