PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Spellborn to "Re-Develop"

hal
30th Jun 2009, 10:06 PM
Frogster has announced (http://www.frogster-interactive.de/en/news,id97,free_play_version_chronicles_spellborn_scheduled_release_2010.html#news97) its Korean subsidiary will be teaming with Spellborn NV to send The Chronicles of Spellborn into "re-development" until 2010, at which time it will become free to play, supported by microtransactions. Those with subscriptions will be allowed to continue to play normally (P2P) until that time.

Oddly, this comes on the heels of news (http://bashers.nl/brekend-nieuws-nederlands-mmo-bedrijf-spellborn-is-failliet) that a portion of Spellborn has dipped into bankruptcy (thanks MelvinB). As the site is in Dutch, details are still sparing. Perhaps someone would be nice enough to translate?

TomWithTheWeather
30th Jun 2009, 10:54 PM
http://transitionland.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/facepalm.jpg

MaestroMaus
1st Jul 2009, 03:49 AM
The details:
Spellborn Works has filed bankruptcy a week ago. The company was responsible for maintaining TCOS and developing more content for the game. Apparently the game had a good number of players on launch but a lot of them left the game after a short while. 35 people worked at Spellborn Works.

The original creator, Khaeon, has moved on and is making iPhone games now under the name Rough Cookie.

Spellborn NV is not at risk by this bankruptcy. They will keep selling the game.

I hope my English is not to broken...

Ssswing`
1st Jul 2009, 04:07 AM
sucks; know 2 guys working there :(

Hourences
1st Jul 2009, 05:54 AM
Yes it is a bit of a complicated story. The game itself continues, but the company that was responsible for supporting and expanding the game was given up. So basically the game was launched, it didn't generate the cash they hoped, and then the team was let go, while the game goes on with a skeleton team and in a different shape..

The original dev team, Khaeon, has long moved on to other projects and is not affected by this.

Development has know a huge amount of problems. This wasn't entirely unexpected. The game was simply too big and ambitious and development was living hell at times. Still it a shame that it went down of course and I hope the people that were still on the project get hold of a nice new job somewhere else and continue with their careers.

I am amazed that the game got this far. We started it with just 20 people, trying to tackle this huge game. Most were inexperienced, management was far from helpful, and against the odds we actually did succeed at putting down the game. It is far from perfect, and the price we paid for it was too high, but I am proud of the achievement of putting down the impossible.

Hideinlight
1st Jul 2009, 08:51 AM
Yes it is a bit of a complicated story. The game itself continues, but the company that was responsible for supporting and expanding the game was given up. So basically the game was launched, it didn't generate the cash they hoped, and then the team was let go, while the game goes on with a skeleton team and in a different shape..

The original dev team, Khaeon, has long moved on to other projects and is not affected by this.

Development has know a huge amount of problems. This wasn't entirely unexpected. The game was simply too big and ambitious and development was living hell at times. Still it a shame that it went down of course and I hope the people that were still on the project get hold of a nice new job somewhere else and continue with their careers.

I am amazed that the game got this far. We started it with just 20 people, trying to tackle this huge game. Most were inexperienced, management was far from helpful, and against the odds we actually did succeed at putting down the game. It is far from perfect, and the price we paid for it was too high, but I am proud of the achievement of putting down the impossible.

From the little I got to play, I was rather impressed. The problem though was the game wasn't available in my country, I couldn't even create an account without using a proxy. They kinda buggered up the release by not making the game widely accessable

VorLoN
1st Jul 2009, 12:18 PM
Even if the game is really good, releasing an MMO two weeks after (before?) the launch of Wrath of the Lich King was pretty much the worst they could do. And I didn't see any marketing for it, it's a shame for potentially good games to just disapear like this and a somewhat personal disppointment if you're worked on it for quite some time.:shake:

Leak
1st Jul 2009, 04:05 PM
So they're basically transforming one epic fail into oodles of micro-fails?