Big Daddy Concept Art

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The Cult of Rapture serves up some Big Daddy concept art from BioShock 2.

Between the first BioShock and the sequel, you've seen a lot of concept art for Big Daddies. The logic behind this concept art went beyond different designs and suit combinations. The artists had to imagine what the very first Big Daddy would have on him -- this Big Daddy had to feel like he was a rough draft or a work-in-progress, an amalgam of Big Daddies to come. The first Big Daddy was a test case, and in making the perfect prototype, 2K Marin drafted many, many prototypes themselves.

Below you'll see four examples of the concept pieces created, as well as a near final concept rendering of the Big Daddy you will play in BioShock 2.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yep, I hardly ever doubt there is going to be a Bioshock multiplayer. If done right, it could be interesting. These are some very nice concepts. I wonder if the game will have death penalties at this time, less ammo searching and so on.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Non pessimistic people unlike you? From all I can recall DE has done nice things to UT2004.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I'm not pessimistic, I'm just not interested in multi player. Specially not for games with strong story lines like Bioshock. Time you spend on Y can not be spend on X.

Also, what nice things did DE do to UT2004?

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I'm not pessimistic, I'm just not interested in multi player. Specially not for games with strong story lines like Bioshock. Time you spend on Y can not be spend on X.

Also, what nice things did DE do to UT2004?

Strong storylines :lol:
Bioshock remains one of the most boring games I've played in recent years.

Still, you have to see the potential of multiplayer for a game with mechanics like Bioshock. It may not be the crux of the game, but the possibility of multiplayer being more than average is there.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Ok, interesting setting and environment, but as far as storylines go for the average action game, Bioshock is in the top something.

But if Bioshock is the most boring game you've played in recent years then you haven't played many games. You probably didn't play: Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia (the one of 2008), Prototype, Space Siege, Rise of the Argnonauts, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bully, The Witcher, ...

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Ok, interesting setting and environment, but as far as storylines go for the average action game, Bioshock is in the top something.

But if Bioshock is the most boring game you've played in recent years then you haven't played many games. You probably didn't play: Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia (the one of 2008), Prototype, Space Siege, Rise of the Argnonauts, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bully, The Witcher, ...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, ...
One of the most boring does not equal most boring. There are plenty of boring games, and most games that seem to play themselves seem to come from Ubi for me. AC was repetitive and got boring later on, but was cool for at least a few hours; Mirror's Edge wasn't boring, just frustrating; PoP was probably one of the biggest disappointments in gaming EVER, essentially one big string of quicktime events; I actually really enjoy Prototype and its mindless mayhem; STALKER I wish I had never bought; The Witcher did not want me to play it, so I put it down after 3 or so hours of boredom.

I do play a lot of games. Bioshock just happens to be one of the more boring ones. I never ended up finishing it because the game doesn't want me to play it.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Sjosz isn't alone. All I remember from BioShock was "open this, search this, pick up this" and killing those retarded enemies around. And all of this until the end of the game: it got old quickly. I only managed to finish it due to my interest to the storyline.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The most boring things for me in bioshock was the whole useless items you never gave a **** about. What is the point of having potatoes chip sacs if it increase like 2 point of mana? These kind of items were just a waste of time, even at the start of the game. They had a bunch of useless thing going on as well, like how few ammo you could find wasting minutes of your time from searching cabinets and so on. Non impressively FO3 did the same thing. I just can't believe some people are tuned on by such systems.

However the weapon variety and traps sound good. But the thing is that you could just fight the big daddy over, and over again going straight forward at it in a non stop fashion using everything you got until you're left to melee attacks. I mean, hey, what's the point of trying to collect health packs trying to survive if you're just going to die and respawn like nothing happened??

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I mean, hey, what's the point of trying to collect health packs if you're just going to die and respawn like nothing happened??

Killing a big daddy with the wrench sounded like an achievement of skill at first, and when I finally met my first big daddy to fight, I figured out really fast how this game would bore me. Very disappointing indeed.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
and the doctor says "then don't do that"

... what's the point of trying to collect health packs trying to survive if you're just going to die and respawn like nothing happened??

Then don't use the respawners. I considered those to be nothing but an easy out for novices. If I couldn't get by something without respawning, then I'd reload and try again until I got it right.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I never even died the whole game, surprisingly. I didn't think Bioshock was anywhere near as stellar as it was made out to be. It was a good game, but it wasn't a great game.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I liked Bioshock, but it depends on how you look at it. It was almost more an interactive movie than a game. The gameplay elements were not very demanding, but the settings and characters were great.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I do play a lot of games. Bioshock just happens to be one of the more boring ones. I never ended up finishing it because the game doesn't want me to play it.

so... that raises the question of which games you didn't think were boring.

Sjosz isn't alone. All I remember from BioShock was "open this, search this, pick up this" and killing those retarded enemies around. And all of this until the end of the game: it got old quickly. I only managed to finish it due to my interest to the storyline.

sounds like 90% of all games out there

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
It is all a matter of taste.

I have been playing games since 1978. Nowadays I play Singleplayer-fps only for the story, unless they offer something REALLY new. Most do not. They only offer a variation of what has been done before slightly different. Which is totally OK, because most gamers haven't played as many shooters as me or other gamers of my age.
The story of Bioshock did not catch me. I got bored before the first Big Daddy and stopped. And the story wasn't told in a way it kept my interest.