Unreal Texture down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

As people may have noticed, the Unreal Texture site is down.

And i look like its a repeat from what happened to my previous host. This time the site was suspended because it took to much resources from the server its running on.

I got an e-mail from the host upfront the suspension, and i took actions with the removal of a certain script, while i also gave a reply to them.

They missed my email and thereby my actions, and i got a mail today the site was suspended, and now they also complain about the size of the site.........

I decided to take drastic actions myself to prevent further problems, and i decided to have the site go back to the core activities which are Unreal and UT since i make textures for those games.

It also means that i deleted out all other sections being:
Unreal II
UT2004
UT3

And its unlikelly they will be back............

In addition to that i dissabled hotlinking with the exceptions of a few sites:

www.UnrealTexture.com
www.CelticWarriors.net
www.OldUnreal.com
www.BeyondUnreal.com
www.UnrealSP.org

At this moment of writing the entire site is suspended, which also means that the main download mirror for patch 227f as well as all the links to the S3TC packages are down and unavailable.

The problem now is, they try force me to upgrade my account to a VPS server. If they do force me to that, than the answer is simple, UnrealTexture.com is no more :( The price for the cheapest VPS server is 40 dollars per month which is something i simply cannot afford, not even remotelly...... And that also wont be enough to host the site because that package is limited to 20 gigabyte of space while the current(stripped down) site is 75 gigabyte.

The only option for me that is left, is to split the site up into 2 domains and pay for 2 seperate hosting packages. Obviously this will double the costs on the site and will be a huge drain on my already almost empty wallet.

So lets see what happens next days, but count on being the site down for a couple a days even when the outcome might be positive. Where possible ill try keep briefing everybody here.

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Sorry to hear it, but not unexpected based on your usage statistics. Concentrating a few things would be best.

Diehard

Skillz is hosting UT files only and i am not gonna touch that. Like i like Unreal he does like UT. And i am only hosting the UT files because i make S3TC textures for both games. And dont get me wrong, i fully support UT, but my game will always be Unreal :)

And for the UT S3TC packages, yeah i could ask him if he could host those as well, so theres at least one mirror up for those.

Ill see what happens in the next days, but i am preparing the S3TC files so they can be submitted to FileFront and FilePlanet. And mainly i need to work out a doable folderstructure for those downloads.

It also means i will have to introduce dates in the filenames, to prevent confusements for future releases. And it might look like this:

Unreal_S3TC_Hi_End_June_2009_A.zip
Unreal_S3TC_Hi_End_June_2009_B.zip
Unreal_S3TC_Hi_End_June_2009_C.zip
Unreal_S3TC_Hi_End_June_2009_D.zip

And i am not gonna use dates like 04_06_2009 because that is to confusing since there are 2 systems to deal with dates, the US system differs from the rest of the world so it would be 06_04_2009. So i better use names for the month.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
And i am not gonna use dates like 04_06_2009 because that is to confusing since there are 2 systems to deal with dates, the US system differs from the rest of the world so it would be 06_04_2009. So i better use names for the month..

ISO 8601 is your friend - YYYY-MM-DD. It offends no one (or everyone) in equal measure and has the added advantage of sorting properly in date order.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems because the work you do is very important to some of us and is much appreciated.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Diehard, I can host your entire site's downloads under ut-files.com.

I've already almost mirrored your entire site now as it is, not sure if you've been watching ut-files.com lately but I'm close to around 37GB of data so far. Most if not all of your "Textures" directory has already been hosted. Still needs to be tested for corruption, but I am working on it, slowly but surely.

Soon I will probably setup a ut2k4.ut-files.com and ut3.ut-files.com site(s) as well. Though this will be sometime in the future as my upload of 512Kbps is very, very slow.

edit
Actually I meant the UT side you hosted, I didn't get a chance to download the Unreal, UT2k4 or UT3 stuff. I only grabbed the UT stuff not too long ago.

Last edited:

Diehard

Hi all,

I wanted to tell that the site is up again, at least for the moment. My host decided to unsuspend the site to see if my actions will work, and they will monitor the situation for the next 24 hours to see what happens.

The problem that remains for the moment might be the php script i use so people can see the downloads. But if it causes problems than its a bit weird to me since that script is running from day oné.

But it means i am not in the clear yet, but if needed i take off the remaining php script or have the site split in half. Time will tell.

Diehard, I can host your entire site's downloads under ut-files.com.

I've already almost mirrored your entire site now as it is, not sure if you've been watching ut-files.com lately but I'm close to around 37GB of data so far. Most if not all of your "Textures" directory has already been hosted. Still needs to be tested for corruption, but I am working on it, slowly but surely.

I just did check, and saw the S3TC textures, thats cool you have those as well. Its never a bad thing to have a mirror like that for situations like these.

Though this will be sometime in the future as my upload of 512Kbps is very, very slow.

That is actually pretty fast lol. I have been an admin for years and worked with alot of hosts, but never saw an upload faster than 120kbps. So 512 is more than 4 times faster i have ever seen. But i agree, loading up that much data still takes ages.

Actually I meant the UT side you hosted, I didn't get a chance to download the Unreal, UT2k4 or UT3 stuff. I only grabbed the UT stuff not too long ago.

You could have asked for FTP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so next time just throw me a mail ;)

Last edited:

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
Yea I know we've talked about sharing FTP info before, but after having someone who I thought I could trust with one of my sites completely delete ~2Gb worth of downloads I'm very skeptical now. I wasn't going to ask you for FTP, then deny it to you when you asked for mine in return. Would have been a bit hypocritical.

If you want though, I did setup a separate ftp account for uploading data. I can PM it to you and your more than welcome to upload anything you want to it, then drop me a PM/email after it's done so I can transfer it to the site.

I have ~250Gb of space to play with right now and 4TB of monthly bandwidth to play with on a dedicated server. So as long as I stay within the 4TB monthly bandwidth, I can do whatever I want. (I have a 500Gb hdd on the server)

Diehard

Yeah i guess thats undwerstandable, if someone you trust pulls a stunt like that.........

And if you got a dedicated server on your hands, that does give alot more freedom, and amount of size and bandwidth are actual numbers instead of shared hosting where numbers dont mean s@@@.

Well it looks like you got everything covered, so theres no reason for FTP at the moment, let alone i dont have time, comming time, to spend on the site anyway.

As my main work is on the textures, the site is kinda ""colateral damage"".

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
I would still like to get all the file(s) you hosted on the old site (all games) and since you've taken it down now, I wont be able to.

Could you maybe setup a home FTP (actually, a linux web server w/ ssh access would be MUCH better) that I can connect to and pull all the files that way? Maybe burning them to DVD and sending them to me...not sure how much shipping would cost on that though.

Diehard

I would still like to get all the file(s) you hosted on the old site (all games) and since you've taken it down now, I wont be able to.

Right, i didnt think of that :( But for Unreal i can still give you FTP to the site

Could you maybe setup a home FTP (actually, a linux web server w/ ssh access would be MUCH better) that I can connect to and pull all the files that way? Maybe burning them to DVD and sending them to me...not sure how much shipping would cost on that though.

Making a home FTP will be dificult at the moment, and certainly not a Linux server since i dont know anything about Linux and also dont have the time to dive into the subject so to speak. But needs to be said, after the whole episode with FileFront, i havnt had time to sort out all data from the other games. I did gave priority to UT. And even though the UT2004 and UT3 sites are gone i will keep collecting stuff for those as well, just in case i will be able to host them in the future.

I think the best option will be to burn the whole shebang on DVD, though that will take alot of DVD,s lol. But first i need to sort out all data anyway, and i cannot do that anytime soon.

But ill see if i can run a small webserver on my backup system. If so that would speed up things, though i have no clue how fast the connection will be. As for Unreal it could be done inmediatelly, but i also would wait at least a week or so, because they are still monitoring the site. So it might not be a smart thing to do right now. But in a week or so, than hopefully it can be done.