UE2 - UT2kX UTJumppad + lowgrav = wtf.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

seditious

Jan 2, 2009
I'm somewhat new to mapping in UT2004. Recently I tried to add jump pads to a map for the first time, basically following these instructions and the pads don't completely work. I've narrowed it down to lowgrav being the one consistent factor-- when and only when the lowgrav mutator is on, the pad acts like it is the destination of the jump and makes me land back right on it. If I'm moving forward it makes me go straight down. If I jump from standing right on it and fall back on, I hear the jumpsound repeatedly until I'm too low and I land again. When I'm offline, it touches much faster, proportional to framerate, I guess.

These cases are in the order of remembrance, not necessarily the order of occurrence:
- I removed *everything* from the map a few bits at a time, testing the pads each time I axed some geometry to make sure it wasn't BSP related. The last thing left was the outer walls, the first big subtract. I moved it up so the pad and node were at ground level, meaning ground level was then at about 2048 UUs above zero. Still broken. The first 4 jumppads that failed were really close to 0,0,0 anyway.

- I created a new map, copied, and pasted all the actors and it had the same symptom. Broken.

- I created a new map and only pasted the brushes, a test pad, a light, and a node instead of Select All Actors. Broken.

- I created an empty cube map and made a pad, and it worked (at least offline in Instant Action). The destination was messed up-- went straight forward and landed at about 1024 units instead of up high enough to make it. It was too far, probably.

- I opened a pre-existing small arena map with no pads and added a pad to it, tried it offline with lowgrav, and it worked.

- I copied a pad from DM-Plunge and pasted it into my level, and it didn't work. I had to move it and the destination pathnode around some, and I wasn't sure if that would create a false negative, so...

- I copied the jump and matching node again, FROM my map TO another map I haven't finished and that time it worked.

I've done a few other obscure things to try to target what step set off the bug, but I don't recall exactly. It's not a good day for playing detective... I didn't yet try to send any bots over them because the level isn't pathed. I suppose I'll do that after I recover, just put some playerstarts near there and a pickup on the other side of the gap.

The actual question: Does anyone have any other questions about my map/tests I can perform/hints for a noob? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, lowgrav is absolutely required :D

P.P.S. Yes, I see the yellow ForcedPath line and the purple arc. They look great and work great in normal gravity.

P.P.P.S. I tried, the bots didn't make it.

Last edited:

seditious

Jan 2, 2009
It was the level geometry. I sort of fixed it but things are still kind of random so next time I'll just spell out what I want from it the way you spell for primitive text-to-speech programs... by spelling wrong until it sounds right :)